Forums

Hiding in the closet with glass doors

Page: 1

Mark

Joined in 2014
August 14, 2014, 23:22

Hey guys and girls,

I’d like to give you a little back-story before I give you my ‘today’ story. I’ve been raised, like many, by two loving, Christian parents who have provided me with the best that they could possibly offer. In no way have I been disadvantaged, with an abundance of opportunity provided to me. My sisters were always the closest to me, with my brother, perhaps more thankfully distant. From the age of five, I had already known that I was gay. Perhaps it was the way that I responded to the attention my sisters gave me, dressing me in whatever made a great shot, which would later be printed at Kodak, or more likely, the way I felt when play-dates with male friends became more than a time for Lego creations.

Throughout the years following, till the start of 2014, my efforts were directed at ‘acting straight’, something that Grindr seems to value more than intellect or passion for the arts. It was painful having to play along, but I felt that in acting straight, I would also avoid having to love another man. It was a chore and it was heartbreaking, but if I didn’t have to be different from the rest, then it was worth it. When I finally thought about it enough, my self-imposed problem was not about loving another man. It was coming to the understanding or the realisation that God had not made my life harder since understanding that I was gay in 1997, nor had he put obstacles in front of me that would make my life more difficult. Instead, he had opened doors, provided me with endless opportunity and allowed me to be close to those I loved in a way that only television producers cringe when a family gets along famously in reality TV. Today, I would say that I do not resent God, I resent the way that God’s people have interpreted or twisted his word.

It’s now August in 2014 and all in my immediate family, but my mother, have been told of my sexuality. It spiraled after an ‘A-HA’ moment (thanks Oprah) in January this year that found me on the other side of the table from a boy I’d met on Grindr; a non-Christian but nevertheless, a step into the gay community. I was unsure of what to expect from this date, but I was comforted by the way that he was less about asking for pictures showing my wobbly bits and more about the person that I was. The first date was somewhat of an awakening experience that gave me the confidence to begin to unveil who I was as a person and how my sexuality influenced the way that my friends knew and interacted with me.

The first person I told, through recounting (feebly) my date, was my best friend. She had been by my side through the worst of my disownments of sexuality. She even defended me as I claimed to be straight, knowing that I wasn’t being true to myself – I loved her more for it. For a friend to cry for you with happy tears, is the most reassuring gesture that you could hope for. It was something that I will never forget and I think it made us closer. From that day, I knew I had less to be afraid of than I had worked up in my head. My eldest sister was next – we were the closest of all my family. Perhaps it was our fifteen-year separation that allowed us to get along so well, or more likely, the way our personalities found similarities that were too difficult to push aside as a coincidental factor (thanks genetics). She knew. They all knew. Regardless, telling someone was progress and I was this far already, I had to continue.

My chronologically closest sister was next, the closest to me in age and the wife of my boss, my adopted (not literally… that would be weird) brother. It was always going to be the hardest, knowing how close I was to her husband. He was the one that I spent the most time with, the one who had provided me with endless opportunity I thought I hadn’t deserved. The one who had taken me in as one of his family, even though our genetic link was weak, rather, non-existent. It came as a shock that they would take the news so well. Without a rebuttal, I came away on top of the world – thinking that I had finally conquered the giving of challenging news. I guess it wasn't entirely a shock that a week or so later, it was time for a showdown. Not one that was unlike a civilised boxing or tennis match that would see a bystander turning their head back and forth as the Christian card was thrown from one to another, discussing the implications of a same-sex relationship and God’s view on the individual. My stance remained firm and this was taken poorly, a situation that I could have handled far better, but one that I was proud of. Not because it created an unspoken rift between siblings but because my faith had remained cemented, regardless of the sexuality I was living with.

My brother chuckled as I told him over the phone, saying that he was more concerned that I was smoking than my sexual preference. While we don’t speak frequently, my love for him as a brother gained ten points at that moment.

Dad and I had gone out for coffee – the first time we’d caught up properly since I had moved out eight weeks prior. I already knew days in advance that I would be telling him at some point in our extended interaction. It wasn’t until I realised the silence between us, through trivial conversations, had become deafening, that I decided to relay the information that could change his perspective on me forever. “I guess this is an opportune moment…. To tell you that I’m gay”. I blurted it out so that there was no going back. It was not something I wanted to happen but I suppose it was inevitable – he cried. Later he told me that he wasn’t upset that I was gay but he was saddened by the possibility of loneliness that I would experience, and the potential that I may not get the chance to be the father I always knew I could be. We didn’t hug but I wish we did. I hadn’t felt closer to him since I was small. He had been invested in his work for the entirety of our relationship and while I had love for him as my father, I didn’t have a friend.. until now.

It’s now been eight months since I have been comfortable and proud of my sexuality. In that time, I’ve learnt a great deal – lessons of acceptance for those who remain ignorant, love for those in a less fortunate family position and respect for my God – the transcendent being that hasn’t let me down. I continue to beat the same drum; It isn’t God that has let me down, it’s the people who bear his name with misinformed views on those who just want to love the same God and the same sex.

I’m glad that I took the time to write this piece. It wasn’t something that I would have done, had I not read over the posts on Freedom2B. I’m going to Church for the first time in twelve months this Sunday. I hope to report back with my second phase of homosuccess.

– Mark

rob7250

Joined in 2014
August 15, 2014, 15:12

Hello Mark and welcome thank you for sharing that story, it is very encouraging, i hope that church will be all that you hope for and more , i hope you make many new friends that can get to know you and who you are as the complete package.

Tamid

Joined in 2014
August 15, 2014, 23:56

Welcome to F2B, and congratulations on your recent achievements. You write in a great literary style! I hope everything goes well with your church visit.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
August 17, 2014, 15:59

Hi Mark!

Welcome to freedom2b!I hope that you find this a safe and supportive place where you can feel free to share your journey and experiences. 🙂

Well done on sharing your story. I know that it's not always easy to sit down and write about what you've been through but your story will be a great encouragement for many other people and writing it down helps us to process what's happened in our own lives.

I'm so pleased that you are now comfortable with your sexuality and have been able to come out to all of your immediate family. It's good to hear that it has mostly been a really positive thing. How is your relationship now with your sister (closer in age) and your adopted brother / boss?

I love this section (below) of your story and can relate to that same realisation.

When I finally thought about it enough, my self-imposed problem was not about loving another man. It was coming to the understanding or the realisation that God had not made my life harder since understanding that I was gay in 1997, nor had he put obstacles in front of me that would make my life more difficult. Instead, he had opened doors, provided me with endless opportunity and allowed me to be close to those I loved in a way that only television producers cringe when a family gets along famously in reality TV. Today, I would say that I do not resent God, I resent the way that God’s people have interpreted or twisted his word.

I hope you enjoyed church. I know it can be a bit confronting going back after some time away but take it easy and see how you go. We are here for you! 🙂

Ben

ps. Homosuccess is an AWESOME word!

davidt

Joined in 2009
August 17, 2014, 16:53

So pleased your coming out has gone well so far, and I hope your church is accepting as well. You have a good writing style. I enjoyed reading it and was encouraged as well. It is a tremendous relief when your two worlds you have tried so hard to keep apart have finally come together.

In Him

David

Mark

Joined in 2014
August 17, 2014, 17:55

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive response to my story. The messages confirm the reasons why I wanted to post on Freedom2b; to receive and take part in the support that a community brings, be it online or otherwise.

Ben, thanks for reading my post. I joined the congregation of New Convenant this morning after reading a number of the posts you had written, including the sit-down with Brian. I think the most refreshing thing for me today was to see young gay men actively involved in church and engaging with their faith, something that I've found is a rarity.

I should have included some more detail when talking about my sister and her husband – They were not against me being gay (at least to my face), but acting upon it by seeking a long term partner. Unfortunately, we ended our conversation regarding my sexuality and potential relationships with an agreement to disagree. After we had our face-to-face conversation, I sent through links for my sister to research, while I'm not sure these were read, I felt as though I did my best to maintain acceptance of her views but also provided as much encouragement and information to change that perspective. Overall, things are back to normal somewhat, but there's always a baby elephant in the room.

I'm glad you enjoyed 'Homosuccess' – I haven't copywrited it yet, so feel free to use!

Thanks again everyone! I hope to speak with some of you in the near future as I begin to live my life as I should have years ago! 🙂

– Mark

cheval319

Joined in 2014
August 19, 2014, 18:53

Welcome, Mark and thanks for being so open.

Hugs,

Renee.

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
August 19, 2014, 21:47

Hi Mark

Welcome to freedom2b. Thank you for sharing what is a very personal journey and entrusting our amazing community to offer you connection and support. You have already been through a myriad of emotions and experiences with your family and it takes a 'big breath and step of faith' to do that so well done! I'm really glad to hear you are in a pretty good place at the moment and we will do what we can to assist you along the way 🙂

Warm regards

Michelle

SamGrebert

Joined in 2010
September 9, 2014, 11:43

Hi Mark.

Thank you so much for sharing your 'Story' with us here on the Freedom2b forum.

Telling our stories is such a powerful thing and sometimes we do not quite understand the fullness of the impact it may have on another person, as they read and see that they too are not alone and that there is in fact others who come from similar backgrounds and experiences.

Also, it was lovely meeting you and having you visit New Covenant Sydney a few weeks ago. We love meeting new people and are glad you came along to check it out.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need more information. Thanks again! 🙂

Sam Grebert

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 30, 2014, 15:04

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to F2B. As you have already found this is a great site with a wonderful bunch of people 🙂

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.08 seconds.