Forums

Hillsong to be parodied in the Mardi Gras Parade

Page:   1 2

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 25, 2009, 23:26

Hmmmmm let me get this right… Hillsong are coming out to our Gay Mardi Gras and marching? 😕 😯 😕 ❓

Hi Craig, nice to see you pop into the forum 😀 I might let avb or HillsBen clarify this, as they both go to Hillsong church, but its essentially a parody (sending up) of Hillsong by a group of individuals. Much like a certain Reverend has been the subject of past parodies targetting religion.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 26, 2009, 13:33

who is doing this?? I dont think it will translate that well. Because everybody doesn’t know Hillsong.

Hillsong hit the media landscape in 2004 along with Family First. From memory it all began to happen after the first edition of my book. Not that those two things were related though. Had my book come out after that though the publicity would have been more extensive.

I’m actually suprised these days frogger when I mention Hillsong to someone and they say whats that. Of course only a small percentage actually know what it is and about…..most have been informed by the urban myths that have been created by the media hype and stories.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 26, 2009, 13:36

If the Christians can get up there and say homosexuality is wrong etc in the name of freedom of speech and belief then the LGBT community ought to be able to call them morons for doing so… for that too is a belief. 😉 😆 😆

I think this is a valid point Sandy. we do live in a free society and everything is up for challenge and difference of opinions.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 26, 2009, 13:57

Parodies can be fun but not sure about this one, it might show disrespect, last thing we need. 🙁 dont want to come across as being disrespectful or making fun of something, no one will believe that we have honour or respect as Gay/Lez Christians if its taken too far, you can have fun without making it debaucherous.

We were trying to build a bridge with pentecostal churches, hillsong being one of them, I hope we wont be burning that bridge. I spose we can only wait and see.

Actually magsdee….I see this as an opportunity to once again encourage dialogue. We do know there is a justifiable ant-christian feeling in our community. Possibly much stronger than in the general community.

Asking for them to be respectful is probably not a realistic possibility. Such is the essence of parody and satire i guess. When Fred Niles head was place on a platter in a parade many years ago it wasn’t very respectful but it certainly made a point. Other times the piss has been taken out of Cardinal George Pell.

I know some people have called this blasphemous….possibly they take themselves and life tooooo seriously. 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 26, 2009, 14:03

here we are Craig….this will shed more light

http://sxnews.e-p.net.au/feature/keeping-the-faith-4758.html

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
January 26, 2009, 18:28

I know some people have called this blasphemous….possibly they take themselves and life tooooo seriously.

Crikey I wouldnt go as far as callng it blasphemous 🙄 I take the mikey out of myself very often and both my partner and I as well, I have to, my situation personally is serious enough you need the relief. So I do understand it on a broader level.

Regarding rellgious things, yeh you can take the mikey out of people and many will laugh and such, Ive done it myself, I guess like with anything there are limits, thats all I worried about, Im not judging it at all just gave an opinion. 😉 Actually, just called my budgie Louie “Jesus” he was dying and we prayed he lived and he did 😀 so now he is our little Jesus come back from the dead, not mockingly at all 😉 .

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 26, 2009, 23:49

its okay mags…..I wasn’t having a go at what you said….just general comments by those outside our forum. 🙂 🙂 🙂

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
January 27, 2009, 07:46

I know 😉 but its my priviledge to be defensive 😆 Im a woman heading towards menopause 😉

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.057 seconds.