Forums

Homosexuality in 1967....someone had it right way back then.....but only a very small number

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 17, 2010, 14:57

this video which was done in 1967 which shows homosexuality at that time. Arrests….mental health professionals confidently stating debunked theories as though they are fact…..accusations of a growing problem….recruitment ….prison sentences …and imprisonment…..homosexual offenders are twice as dangerous as a murderer….etc.

Some leading lights say I’m ok and openly talk about being gay. Ground breaking courageous …young men.

This 40 minute show is fascinating…..and well worth looking at.

thank god those days have gone…….well for some of us at least. I was 16 when this was made and just discovering that I was…….god forbid….a HOMOSEXUAL…….no wonder I tried so desperately to change.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 20, 2010, 14:02

Hi avb

Yes, fascinating the way they reported on it and tried to get at every angle. The gay guy who spoke near the start, was incredibly self assured and brave. I’m glad not to be living in those times.

Luckysky

Joined in 2010
February 21, 2010, 17:09

I had trouble with this video, it stopped and started so often that I gave up on it.

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
February 21, 2010, 19:17

Don’t forget the struggle! These were also the days another 20 years later in Brisbane: prison sentences for homosexuality, health ‘professionals’ claiming to be able to ‘treat’ and ‘cure’ homosexuality (as no doubt some still claim), fear being whipped up by the press.

I think it is important that we recognise that the changes have not just ‘happened’ but appreciate the contribution and hard work made by many courageous individuals who stood up for who they were and worked together to raise awareness, debunk myths, and lobby to change the laws often in the face of incredible hostility and public condemnation.

"Rally for the Family" Brisbane 1990.” alt=”” />

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 21, 2010, 22:45

possibly people living today will never really appreciate what it was like or where we have come from.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 21, 2010, 22:47

I had trouble with this video, it stopped and started so often that I gave up on it.

open it up……begin playing ……put it on pause……go and make yourself a coffee….come back in 10 minutes and it will have downloaded….unless of course you are on dialup.

hope that helps

davidt

Joined in 2009
February 21, 2010, 23:13

In 1991 in Queensland when the State Government was considering decriminalizing homosexual acts in private, the Baptist Church protested very strongly that the law should not be changed. When I asked them what that law was, they did not know!!

A male gay couple could have been jailed for 20 years for having relations in their own home. However the law did not apply to lesbians, as Queen Victoria would not sign the law apparently.

Interesting!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 22, 2010, 00:21

Hi Luckysky

I was fortunate to watch at work where the computer is faster at downloading and I had no probs viewing there. At home it was a different matter however. No matter how long I waited with it on pause, until the bar was filled, it still stopped and started. I’m told the area I live in is very slow for transmission (new estate with not many towers to pick up signals) and my computer is old. You may have to wait longer than 10 mins with it on pause. Depending on your computer, it may take 40 mins+ to fill up the bar.

Hope that helps.

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
February 26, 2010, 20:57

In 1991 in Queensland when the State Government was considering decriminalizing homosexual acts in private, the Baptist Church protested very strongly that the law should not be changed. When I asked them what that law was, they did not know!!

A male gay couple could have been jailed for 20 years for having relations in their own home. However the law did not apply to lesbians, as Queen Victoria would not sign the law apparently.

Interesting!

Of all the Australian states and territories, only Queensland retains a discriminatory age of consent for homosexual and heterosexual sex due to the 1990 sodomy law. This law sets a punishment of up to 14 years imprisonment for anyone who has anal sex with a person under 18 (including other 16 and 17 year old men), even though the age of consent for vaginal sex is 16. There is no justification for this apart from ignorance. The message it sends is to reinforce a false association between child abuse and homosexuality as well as indicating that gay people still do not have the same freedom to be that heterosexual people enjoy. It makes criminals out of 16 and 17 year old young gay men who choose to have anal sex and presents difficulties for safe sex education.

When we were campaigning for gay law reform in the 80s, some were prepared to allow this law to pass because they said, we could correct it later. It is still there, 20 years later. That’s 20 years of young gay men growing up under the shadow of inequality and the taint of illegality. It is Queensland’s shame.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.06 seconds.