Forums

How do we overcome oppression?

Page: 1

Jason Turner

Joined in 2010
October 20, 2011, 22:44

In a lot of instances, Church cultural prejudice has not only succeeded in making some heterosexuals hate the GLBTIQ community; it has succeeded in making most GLBTIQ people hate themselves. The only way we can win this battle is to out-love those who oppose and oppress us.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
October 21, 2011, 07:12

So right, Jason. But it’s a challenge. What we SHOULD do, so much seems to go against what we WANT to do!

Jason Turner

Joined in 2010
October 21, 2011, 07:34

I think this is when we go into Jesus mode and think about what Jesus would do, which can be near impossible. (Especially when the hatred centred at you is done in the name of Jesus anyway)

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 21, 2011, 08:00

Hi Jason

I think if people who are homophobic have opportunities to come alongside those who are LGBTI and see that they are good people, then walls can break down. It’s getting to know people, being open to the good in others, and letting that win over the fears and ignorance.

Thanks for posting.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Jason Turner

Joined in 2010
October 22, 2011, 08:52

Most definitely Anne-Marie.

To plagarise Cathy McKinney, from last nights Melbourne meeting, (see I never do that because I can’t spell it.)

“We meet Jesus in the eyes of another. Whenever you reach out and connect with others you bring the Kingdom of God to Earth. To experience the Kingdom of God you must connect with others.”

Homophobic people usually have no idea what they are scared of because they don’t fully understand the person behind the homosexual. They see the word HOMOSEXUAL stamped over the top of them and they immediately make up the rest of their story, complete with stereotypes and everything.

Once that word has been sorted out and the labels/stereotypes have been cleared away we begin to see someone different.

The same can be said for Christians though. I believe there are Homosexuals that are scared to get alongside the Christians because the stereotype of Christians is fairly homophobic. Once those barriers are brought down then the rebuilding of relationship can begin.

ammi

Joined in 2011
October 23, 2011, 14:46

Thanks Jason… I love these descriptions… And I don’t know how we overcome oppression.. another thing Cath said was to find ‘safe’ community….. it will come and it will happen…

kandj

Joined in 2011
October 25, 2011, 12:23

🙂 There is alot of hatred towards gay people and I think the majority of it stems from ignorance as well as what people are led to believe. Surely noone goes out of their way to purposely hurt others – oops am I being naive 😉

I was very involved in a “Happy Clappy” church and I distinctively remember joining my fellow believers and laying hands on a gay guy in our church to be delivered from his SIN. Today I feel physically sick that I was involved in trying to change someone – putting added pressure on someones so called burden. I’m certainly not proud of some of my past actions and comments. Today I can honestly say my heart fell in love with the most amazing women I know and regardless of who thinks it is right or who thinks it is wrong – I know what my heart and being is feeling and that is all that matters, There are many people that remind me of my past actions – what can I say other than I feel ashamed.

Please people don’t judge us just walk along side us and get to know us – hey you never know you may like us.

Thanks guys for such a wonderful supportive forum.

🙂

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
October 25, 2011, 13:43

Most definitely Anne-Marie.

To plagarise Cathy McKinney, from last nights Melbourne meeting, (see I never do that because I can’t spell it.)

“We meet Jesus in the eyes of another. Whenever you reach out and connect with others you bring the Kingdom of God to Earth. To experience the Kingdom of God you must connect with others.”

Couldn’t agree with you more Jason. The church, in general, thinks they are loving, accepting, supportive etc. Since being involved with F2B I have truly found what is it is to be accepting, to love as Christ would love. The acceptance and love shown by F2B people, the LGBTI community to each other and to heterosexual people is a true example of Christ’s love. You are all teaching me.

In a lot of instances, Church cultural prejudice has not only succeeded in making some heterosexuals hate the GLBTIQ community; it has succeeded in making most GLBTIQ people hate themselves. The only way we can win this battle is to out-love those who oppose and oppress us.

I think the church has done a very good job in making a lot of the LGBTI people hate themselves, and therein lies the battle. You just have to read the stories on this forum to clearly see this. It doesn’t seem to matter what we say that it’s so very had to break down the beliefs systems that have been so engraved into people. People have to want to change the beliefs about themselves, they have to see those beliefs are false that they have been built on a lie. This is not easy I hope that by saying it over and over again that God loves them the way there are, that they were born that way, that it is ok to be who they are that those that are still struggling with see the real truth, God’s truth and love.

We can all look back on history and see that a lot of terrible stuff was done in the name of God; we can clearly see how wrong this was. I pray that one day we will say the same thing about the churches and societies current views on LGBTI people.

Until then we all can keep up the good fight. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 25, 2011, 15:20

Hi kandj

It’s good to see you here. 🙂

You make a good point that we’ve all made mistakes and are a work in progress. Hopefully we all get the chance to right our wrongs, as much as we can anyway.

I’m glad you’re in a happy partnership. Trusting your own heart is so important. Country singer, Chely Wright, came out and I loved her father’s response. He said that he knew his daughter and that truth won out over what he thought he knew from the bible. His advice to other parents and Christians was: “Don’t close the door but open the heart.” Here’s the link if you haven’t seen it. http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/1071

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Jason Turner

Joined in 2010
October 25, 2011, 22:13

I agree with the mistakes we have made in the past. As a previous pastor I have made a lot of mistakes and one of them was allowing certain heterosexual couples to get married and closing my eyes to another couple where the guy was more gay than me. I knew that marriage was headed for trouble and two months later they were separated and two people were destroyed by it, not to mention extended family were hurt. If I was able to turn back time I would have spent more time counselling them together and alone and maybe the marriage might not have happened and they would both be friends.

I believe this will be a shame I have to live with forever, but I have to forgive myself for what I allowed to happen just as we have to forgive ourselves and move on from our past mistakes. Not forgiving ourselves will not change what happened but finding personal forgiveness will begin the walk to help us move forward in happiness and acceptance.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.