Forums

I went to church today, for the first time in quite a while.

Page: 1

oooooo

Joined in 2006
July 11, 2010, 15:18

I have never stopped thinking about God nor believing, mind you I must say my theology has changed somewhat with more open ended questions in my vocabulary than my once upon a time dogmatic yes and no answers for all things. ( a typical pentecostal bible college framework of thought) I still pray and very often experience prophetic insights into people’s situations on whatever scale, the same as when I was in full time ministry. That has never stopped, even when I wanted it to.

I did not know what the theme of the service was today, as I have never been there before

and as it happens

I ran into a couple of old time friends i use to be in ministry with together many years ago (one of whom knows I am gay) plus a young person I was teaching recently. (She does not know I am gay)

All in all the experience this morning was very nice I have to say.

Ofcoarse it was only my first time there. (tongue in cheek)

But I was thinking during the service that it is not necessary for me or anyone to agree with absolutely everything preached or discussed in the walls of the church for me to enjoy it or be apart of it. (i use to be of the mindset that I needed to, when I was in ministry, due to the fact i had leadership that only wanted “Yes” men on his team)

If they have a negative approach towards the GLBTI community then so be it.

I miss church, I miss the positive aspects of it, especially if the church has a strong focus to just simply loving people instead of trying to clone them to be the same as the leadership (which is extrememly common in pentecostal churches)

which by first impressions this morning this church does have.

i miss being around a group of people that are not all about themselves, that actually do believe in loving people for who they are, not what they should be or how much money they will give to the church or whatever.

So perhaps next time I am in Brisbane visiting my bf I might test the waters and go along again.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 11, 2010, 16:21

Hey oooooo

Good to hear from you. Your experience sounds hopeful which is nice. I’m really pleased for you! 🙂

I also had those experiences within pentecostal churches that things had to be absolute and if they weren’t that wasn’t good. We were also told that we had to “be in line with the church vision” or we would be asked to leave. This meant agreeing with everything they said and not questioning. There wasn’t room for uncertainty in their black and white reading of scripture. And a few that braved it to bible college had major crises of faith because they were suddenly confronted with very open and objective ways of studying the bible. This was different to what they had experienced in church. At college, they were often given more questions than answers. And this was often in stark contrast to that which the pastors and leadership might be preaching.

It’s freeing to realise that questioning and doubts are not the enemy. It’s also lovely to know that we can just be who we are and be accepted. It’s so important to find that and a place of belonging, to know we can have a difference of opinion, and possibly express it if necessary, without being banished.

There’s the sense of community I miss from church and the communal worship and music but then there are other things I don’t need. So I haven’t been back. I’m glad you’re getting something out of it though. All the best as you journey onward. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
July 11, 2010, 18:22

i absolutely love what you said and agree with you oooooo,

I see church as eating a meal at a friends house. if they put something on your plate that you dont like, you just push it to the side and eat what you do like. you dont achieve anything by making a big scene that it was put on your plate to begin with. you just eat around it and enjoy what you do like. after all, the person serving to you just didnt know better.

It seems this is exactly what you have found back at church. You have discovered what you do like about it and are enjoying just that.

Congrats, takes people a while to discover this, and i’m happy you have. I know it transformed my world.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
July 11, 2010, 22:07

Thanks but like I said it was my first visit. So time will tell

but …

In church life it also comes down to your level of involvement. Some/many pastors flog their volunteers to death. And when someone says no I need a weekend off some can get very irate and throw the … You have to be committed … Into the ring.

I’m not prepared to devote the majority of my spare time to church day service type stuff. The majority if our time should be with people in their lives during the week, not at the church setting up for yet another ‘meeting’.

Anyway we shall see.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
July 11, 2010, 22:14

I see church as eating a meal at a friends house. if they put something on your plate that you dont like, you just push it to the side and eat what you do like. you dont achieve anything by making a big scene that it was put on your plate to begin with. you just eat around it and enjoy what you do like. after all, the person serving to you just didnt know better.

It seems this is exactly what you have found back at church. You have discovered what you do like about it and are enjoying just that.

Congrats, takes people a while to discover this, and i’m happy you have. I know it transformed my world.

Yep, I like the food analogy hereiam.

We all have our different likes and tastes – it’s a matter of finding the right environment that you’re comfortable with. Having said that, I like the saying that goes along the lines of “I know my limitations but that doesn’t stop me from exploring the boundaries of possibility”.

I think it’s all about discovery and growing in appreciation of what we can do.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.