Forums

I'm a 17 year old gay male, out to one person, miserable.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

HydeLeach

Joined in 2009
October 31, 2009, 16:06

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

I do not have a GLBT group in my area, sadly.

When you speak of not entering the gay scene, do you mean the non-christian scene? Because if I enter the world (which I will in a matter of a little over a year, being 17 an all) and there are no christian groups, would it be alright for me to find a non-christian group, and just keep my discretion?

Not that this is a current matter, for I am still in a cage and within this household. But nevertheless, what are your thoughts?

What I was meaning by the scene Hyde is the visible presence of the gay world eg Castro in San Francisco…..bars, nightclubs etc. many people think this is what it means to be gay……but this is actually a subculture.

there are often very good gay community support groups who are non-christian but of course maintain high values and respect yours.

Alright thanks, I understand.

Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks for your prayers.

I have another question:

What would be the best way to come out? Should I tell people more frequently now, or should I retain this slow pace? Should I wait until I am in college to tell my family?

And lastly, I need help classifying this one girl as high, low, or medium risk. She used to like me, and sometimes I think she still does. But she currently has her eyes set upon another guy, and I have become better friends with her this year. She supports gay right and what not. Should I come out to her? For sometimes I worry she feels I turned down her desire to date because I disliked her.

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
October 31, 2009, 16:15

Personally, I would classify anyone who supports gay rights as low risk. But in then end the only one who knows will be you – you know her better than anyone else. Same goes for telling your parents. I’ve considered waiting until I move out before telling them, but now I’m less concerned.

That said, despite my relative comfort, I have been coming out quite slowly. My order of preference has not only been determined by my friends’ potential reactions though – it’s also been based on trust. I know I waited a bit to tell one friend in particular – despite knowing they’d be a great supporter, I was not entirely sure how they’d go as far as keeping the secret. You know, some people just can’t keep things to themselves.

In any case, I would recommend against forcing yourself to go fast or slow as far as coming out goes. Just do it when you feel the time is right. It may be best to sometimes wait for opportune moments, or if you find yourself really wanting to tell someone, you may have to create that moment yourself. When I told my first friend, I made sure we went for a pretty reasonable drive to a nice park so there’d be no distractions.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 31, 2009, 19:18

And lastly, I need help classifying this one girl as high, low, or medium risk. She used to like me, and sometimes I think she still does. But she currently has her eyes set upon another guy, and I have become better friends with her this year. She supports gay right and what not. Should I come out to her? For sometimes I worry she feels I turned down her desire to date because I disliked her.

Based on your description of her, I’d have to say that she’s about as low-risk as you could hope for. She’s an opposite sex friend, she supports gay rights and if she genuinely cares about you as a person, then she will want to do whatever she can to make you happy. The fact that she used to like you may actually work to your benefit, because when you like someone you tend to get an idealized picture of that person in your head. So then this person probably thinks very highly of you and would love to see the very best happen in your life. And as you said, if there is another guy she is interested in, it makes the situation even better because now she knows who to go for – you’re not exactly dashing her only hope for true love. Just get her alone sometime and tell her as much as you can. The one disclaimer I’d have to add is that make sure that she knows that you aren’t ready to be open to everybody and tell her that at this point in your life this is to be kept a secret. Learned that from experience… 😛 Also, I’d suggest be prepared with a few things that you would like to say to her after you come out, like your beliefs, hopes, etc. Because really what you are doing here is more than just confessing a secret. You are building a support network. If this girl is to support you, she needs to know in what way she can best do that. A third idea is, after you have assured her that you do not want her to go around telling other, ask her to tell you the names of other people in your community who she thinks it would be a safe bet for you to come out to. Her perception of their response may be better than yours. Closeted people tend to have such a strong fear of rejection that it colors their perception of other people. I’d say ask her to make some suggestions, think about her ideas, and then if you are ready and believe they are safe people, go and tell them too.

Good luck, Hyde. I’ll be praying for you. Keep us posted!

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 31, 2009, 19:52

Double posting, but oh well. 🙂

What would be the best way to come out? Should I tell people more frequently now, or should I retain this slow pace? Should I wait until I am in college to tell my family?

1) The best way to come out is a way that is respectful to everyone involved, most importantly yourself. I recommend a way that allows the other person to ask questions and for you to answer them. Also never come out when you are angry. You don’t want people to associate your sexual orientation with anger or any other negative emotion. So while there may not be a specific best way to come out, there are some principles that you should remember when deciding how to come out to other people – respect, dialogue, and calmness are three things that can help.

2) If you are comfortable being out to more people, do that. I think you should be as open as you can. The main concern here is your emotional health. Keeping a secret from so many people can be very emotionally taxing; coming out can bring release. Don’t go slow for the sake of going slow and don’t go fast for the sake of going fast either. Remember that at this stage of your life, you are coming out for your own benefit. It is one of the scariest things you will ever have to do, but once you begin doing it it will become easier and easier. If you don’t do it, it will keep being hard and you will keep living in fear. At all times, use wisdom and remember that as scary as it can be you are helping yourself by coming out.

3) Only you can decide what is to be done about your family, but I highly recommend that you tell them as soon as possible. I told my family even though I believed that they would not accept me as I desired for them to accept me. I was right, however, I do not regret telling them. The passage of time has allowed things to smooth out and now we can dialogue. Perhaps most importantly though, I was freed from the shame and fear after I came out – it was a huge personal victory for me. Here are two things you should consider – you are smart and you are almost old enough to be on your own. The first thing allows you to defend yourself and the second thing allows you to be independent. When you are an adult, your parents don’t make decisions for you – you do. What your parents believe about homosexuality doesn’t matter when it comes to deciding whether you will date or marry – what you believe does. I don’t know your parents, but I’m guessing that they love and care about you. I don’t think they’d disown you or cut you off from the family, they seem better than that. That means the worst possible response is likely not going to happen. What you might get then is a well-intentioned but misguided attempt to change you. I believe you’ll be able to handle such a response well, based on your knowledge and your age. Time will probably be a key factor here, because unless they suspected this all along, this will be a huge shock for them and they will likely be disappointed. If you come out to them, be sure to understand that it’s difficult for them to! But since I’m sure you are a good young man, you’ll be able to make the process easier for them by providing them with information.

Remember, God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7) Therefore, I say be brave, loving, and calm when you come out. 🙂 Once again, good luck Hyde and I’ll be praying for you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 31, 2009, 22:25

gettingthere….you never cease to amaze me.

A little caveat to talking to the parents. Unfortunately there are some parents out there who do reject their kids when they come out. I’ve heard some very sad stories.

sometimes all the concerns that we have sweated over and over are never realised when we come out.

Hoping Hyde your situation is the latter not the former.

Do you think your parents suspect.

HydeLeach

Joined in 2009
November 1, 2009, 04:27

Double posting, but oh well. 🙂

2) If you are comfortable being out to more people, do that. I think you should be as open as you can. The main concern here is your emotional health. Keeping a secret from so many people can be very emotionally taxing; coming out can bring release. Don’t go slow for the sake of going slow and don’t go fast for the sake of going fast either. Remember that at this stage of your life, you are coming out for your own benefit. It is one of the scariest things you will ever have to do, but once you begin doing it it will become easier and easier. If you don’t do it, it will keep being hard and you will keep living in fear. At all times, use wisdom and remember that as scary as it can be you are helping yourself by coming out.

Thanks gettingthere for all your posts, they really are very helpful and encouraging. I just wanted to quote this one because yes, I very much so agree that coming out is one of the scariest things to do. The night I told my friend Jen, as we were walking my heart rate began to quicken like mad, and I choked on tears and stammered on my own words for quite a while before I could get the words out.

But yes, I suspect it will be easier to come out to more people now, not only because I have positive experience now with people’s reactions, but because I have found a site like this one to help me out.

The family, though, is an entirely different matter. I don’t think telling all the people in the world could make telling my parents less scary. But I feel the time is nearing when I should tell my parents, so please keep me in your prayers.

HydeLeach

Joined in 2009
November 1, 2009, 04:35

gettingthere….you never cease to amaze me.

A little caveat to talking to the parents. Unfortunately there are some parents out there who do reject their kids when they come out. I’ve heard some very sad stories.

sometimes all the concerns that we have sweated over and over are never realised when we come out.

Hoping Hyde your situation is the latter not the former.

Do you think your parents suspect.

I think my parents may have a suspicion, not only because I have never gone out with a girl, but also because I am quick to defend gays when they start a conversation that involves the bashing of them.

However, sometimes I think they assume homosexuality is a choice, and I think they believe that I wouldn’t make the choice, being in a christian household. That is one thing I will need to clarify endlessly when I come out: that it was NOT a choice.

I do indeed fear rejection, for already I am a fair bit of the odd person out in this house. My entire family is very christian, and have avoided the real deals of the world as much as possible. I have non-christian friends, have a not-so-clean sense of humour (that I try to hide as much as possible at home) and I am a morbid person. They shout at me merely because I drew a picture of a man with a gun, which is NOTHING compared to what I’ve drawn, talked about, or watched in a horror movie before, not in their presence. (And I just realized how much this paragraph makes me sound like a bad person).

I just fear that this blast of news will make them decide that I am entirely not worth it to them. I just pray that they’ll let me talk when I come out to them, that they will let me defend myself and explain that homosexuality is not the vile monster they have been grown to see it as. That it is, indeed, love.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 1, 2009, 09:38

what type of church to you go to….is there anyone you can talk to there.

DavidLG
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
November 1, 2009, 13:31

well, my brother who lives in the unites states has just visited and i ended up telling him. He too k it very well and was supportive but i still feel queasy telling him like ima dissapointemnt. The rest of my family have been on my case about getting a gf and some have made gay jokes so its scary about the thought of telling the rest of them but like Chris said i guess i should start telling them one by one as i get the courage.

HydeLeach I know where u r coming from as i dont have many christian gay friends at all and no support groups. JUst dont give up on God, and yeah as soon as u get te courage tell them and get it out.

Telling my brother, it was relief to finally have a close family member know. I now have the task of gettin enough courage to tell my homphobic mum, sister and rest of family, Hang i n there dude ur not alone this.

HydeLeach

Joined in 2009
November 1, 2009, 15:56

what type of church to you go to….is there anyone you can talk to there.

I go to a Protestant Church… they all believe you should embrace homosexuals, but not allow them to love.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.138 seconds.