Forums

Inequality for Teacher - Phil's Latest Story

Page:   1 2

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
June 26, 2008, 20:11

Hey, my name is Phil and my story has already been told, but I’m wondering if you wouldn’t mind joining my facebook group in order to show support for the inequality that exists for gay teachers in Christian or Independent schools.

The group is at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22243441075

and Sydney Star Observer printed this on page 5 today…

http://www.ssonet.com.au/display.asp?ArticleID=8587

If you have a story to tell, please feel free to tell on the discussion board. There are quiet a few straight Christians in this group who have already shown their support and it’s important they know our stories.

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
July 24, 2008, 14:01

Hey guys, if you are happy to, it would be great if you would join this group and share some of your stories publicly so that others realise the inequality that is still exist in our workforce.

I believe we are all entitled to our privacy.

i understand if people don’t want to post on there because of the openness of facebook groups, so chookas, but if anyone is willing to share openly it would be great for others to read. There are discussion boards open there for anyone willing.

Cheers, Phil.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 24, 2008, 15:57

good idea Phil. its a unfortunate that so many are silent after the injustices they have experienced….but understandable. I know for me it wasn’t till several years later I felt the anger. Initially I was too traumatized to deal with anything except my day to day survival and I was wrapped up in a sense of failure. It similar to the ex-gay thing. its taken decades for people to speak up. http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2007/08/five-of-australias-ex-gay-leaders.html

Hopefully more will come forward. Silence will only ensure things stay as they are. I know I’m very motivated to do all I can so no one experiences what I went through.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
July 25, 2008, 07:49

Awesome what your doing Phil 😀 its important to stir support for each other where we can, enveloping those that so need it.

supercalamari

Joined in 2008
August 7, 2008, 20:31

Hey, I joined your group yesterday! I hope that you get the justice you deserve Phil. No one deserves to be treated the way you have been.

So glad that I go to a public school where religion is not held in a higher regard then common sense!

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
October 17, 2008, 09:21

Thank you for your support guys. Nothing really happened. I think the papers lost interest somewhere. But I encourage others to stand up if they believe they can and should. I will always support anyone who steps out.

But thanks again everyone.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 17, 2008, 10:50

hey phill…..nice to hear from you.

I think of you often but time doesn’t permit me to email everyone who crosses my mind.

would you like to give us an update of whats going on in your life currently…..I’m interested….i’m sure others are as well.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
November 4, 2008, 00:58

How are you doing mate over there in USA.

Missing you!! 😀

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
April 6, 2011, 14:02

🙂 Hi everyone.

It is time to resurrect this issue again. What is apparent through this wonderful ministry that Anthony started back in 2005, is that there are so many of us Christians, or ex-Christians who are gay and have been oppressed and trampled by church institutions. There are some haters for sure, but there are so many wonderful people out there who have faith and believe in us.

The laws MUST change to afford us our rights. And Australians will do it. They are mostly a secular society now, and I am glad for it. It seems that those who are less connected with Church are able to make clearer judgments for what is best for the “underdog”.

We are a minority, and it’s time for us to come forward. Something that occurred to me the other day, is that these religious groups don’t like to SACK people because they are gay, they like to hide behind their faith and play dirty games. They will lie and taunt and harass gay people before they will confront the issue. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually been sacked in a religious institution because they are gay.

Many of us keep our mouths shut, and therefore live in fear that we will lose our jobs. In my case they used the “he’s not an Adventist” line of argument to remove me from the system. This doesn’t explain why I was called to a meeting by the Principal to be questioned about “upholding the ethos of the school” non of my other 1st year colleagues were asked that question, or called in for questioning for that matter. The reason given does not explain why my Union advocate, who came with me to the meeting, unannounced was reprimanded for doing so. Why did they want me alone that day? Or the fact that my ex-friend who was also the Chaplain of the school apologized to me for outing me to the Principal when he was asked if he knew about my sexual orientation. He broke my confidence and trust. It doesn’t explain why the Principal would phone my colleagues and ask them what they knew. The fact is, that it was a lie. The more qualified teacher that replaced me was the Principal’s step daughter. Hhhhmmmm. The school also needed another English teacher and hired a non-Adventist. How many more things do I really need to outline here?

Ian’s story tells of the terrible time that he endured at his school. He resigned. It was best for his health and well being.

How many more resign to avoid the harassment?

I’m pleased to report that I’m doing so well now. I’m living in the USA, life is amazing. I’m very happily partnered and we are soul mates. Teaching is great. I’m an International Baccalaureate teacher now, and have had a wonderful time teaching the students to think globally and act locally. My partner actually came to school today to play his violin for the students. He is a concert violinist. He helped me illustrate the important contributions of modernist writers through the similar contributions of composers. It was exciting to work with him. The kids really grasped the concepts and enjoyed the privilege of such a talented musician. It linked well with the trip we took the kids on to see Picasso exhibit, which is showing in my city, Richmond Virginia.

So happy times are ahead, but I really have a burden for what is going on in my country and for my brothers and sisters (such a Christian cliche) who still have to deal with the religious exemptions to basic civil rights.

My opinion is that if Aussies knew that they pay taxes to the government who gives money to religious institutions that drive out gay people, legally, they would be outraged. I REALLY don’t think people realize.

It’s our job, with our small voices to ensure they do know. Perhaps this is why people are not so often fired. They don’t want the mess to go too public. If I remember there was a very talented Choir director who was supposed to work for World Youth Day (the Catholic youth rally) who was fired because he is gay… but I have not heard of many stories. But I have heard of many people who have been driven out of their jobs because of work place harassment.

We need protection.

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
April 6, 2011, 14:03

How are you doing mate over there in USA.

Missing you!! 😀

Hey buddy, I miss you too. I hope you are well man. Keep up the great work that you do for others.

Hugs.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.