Forums

Just a bit of history to encourage us

Page: 1

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 31, 2009, 13:33

Just been reading a bit about the history of Berlin in Germany. What does this have to do with GLBT issues you may well ask? Well, apart from Berlin being one of the most GLBT friendly cities in Europe, I think we can all take heart from the Berlin Wall story and how it just suddenly came down literally overnight in 1989.

As an enclave in a hostile land, one can only imagine the hardships that many West Berliners had to endure before the fall of the Wall – that barrier of separation between family, friends and loved ones. I know that as a gay man, sometimes I feel like I’m living in this enclave – just waiting for that Wall to come tumbling down …

While we know that positive change has been progressive over the years, perhaps we should not overlook the fact that big, significant changes may be just around the corner, and we should be prepared for these changes.

Let us continue to strive for this change, and be ready to knock down that Wall when the time is right to do so.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 31, 2009, 23:54

Its like the concept of the Tippping Point…..which I have but haven’t read.

Basically i believe it demonstrates that there is always a point when the build up of a new consciousness exists that things tip over.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
February 14, 2009, 17:43

Its like the concept of the Tippping Point.

Check out the following website on this topic – very fascinating 💡

http://www.gladwell.com/tippingpoint/index.html

I’ve just ordered a copy of the book “The Tipping Point” by Malcolm Gladwell from amazon.com 8)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 16, 2009, 21:54

i bought the book over 12 months ago…..but it is still in my stack of 25 books to read 🙁 🙁 🙁

Sandy

Joined in 2007
February 17, 2009, 00:53

Gee only 25? You’re lucky! I have an entire book case of “to read” books… thats six shelves double stacked… 😆 😆

We need an AA’s for book-a-holics…

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
March 14, 2009, 14:54

I’ve started reading “The Tipping Point” and I’m finding it quite interesting from a sociological point of view (my forte is economics BTW, not sociology 😉 ) The theory of the Broken Window suggests that you should address a problem at its root cause to prevent the spread of further, possibly more serious, disorder. In a GLBT context, I thought the pronouncement of Oxford Street in Sydney as a homophobia-free zone a few months ago was a good example of this to address a root cause of ignorance (not to mention occasional violence) against the GLBT community, and hopefully prevent the spread of fear and intolerance. It would be interesting to see how successful this has been to date.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 14, 2009, 20:55

I’ve brought the Tipping Point with me to read….hopefully I’ll get into it this time. it was recommended to me some time ago as it is relevant to the work I do

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.062 seconds.