Forums

Long journey away from the UPC

Page: 1

Peter

Joined in 2010
November 24, 2010, 14:24

G’day all, this is my first post 🙂

My story is over years. I had the odd gay experience in New Zealand in 1979 (in Auckland after leaving my family in Taranaki at 17 years old). I’d had a very rough time of it growing up at home in a mostly dysfunctional and overly disciplined family. albeit one not at all involved with any church. When I left Taranaki the home situation had gotten so bad that I’d been put into foster care. It was a situation that I hated, and reached a point where I just could endure it no longer, deciding to leave and see if I could make a life of it elsewhere.

I arrived on my older sisters doorstep in Auckland unexpectedly, who became very irate and told me I should go back and not stay in Auckland. It was the last straw for me at the time. I went back to the room I’d rented for a couple of days and took a whole bottle of pills in a suicide attempt. Over the next months I lurched from drama to drama in Auckland. I had my first sexual experience with a night club owner who picked me up late at night and took me to his place, getting me pissed and stoned, and screwing me.

After a few months I encountered someone who was from the United Pentecostal Church and went to one of their Sunday meetings. Was immediately made to feel welcome and at home, the perfect snare for me as I was ripe for the picking. I embraced the family atmosphere of the people. After a while went to America and studied at the Apostolic Bible Institute in Minnesota, doing a 3 year course and getting a Bachelors Degree in Theology, and becoming completely indoctrinated with the churches teachings. I returned to New Zealand in 1983 and for a short time became a licensed minister in the church.

However I felt something wasn’t right. After leaving the intensity of the Bible college, I was able to think more clearly. After a very significant trip to the local library, and photocopying much, over a few weeks I came to the conclusion that the UPC was behaving as a cult. I left the church in 1984, producing a long leaving statement to hand to my fellow ministers. It was one of the hardest things I’d done in my life; to declare that the last 5 years of my life had been spent being indoctrinated by a cult.

Sexuality, unlike some, didn’t play a part in the reasons for my leaving. Back then I was so indoctrinated by the church that to think that I may like guys was certainly not even a consideration to dwell on. It was simply wrong, and any thoughts I had in that direction were simply wrong. In fact their doctrine hasn’t changed after all these years, as I looked it up just recently:

“Let us therefore resolve that the United Pentecostal Church International go on public record as absolutely opposed to homosexuality and condemn it as a moral decadence and sin, and do hereby encourage prayer for the deliverance of those enslaved by that satanic snare.

UPCI”

http://www.upci.org/doctrine/homosexuality.asp

It turned out that the physical act of leaving the church was far easier than the mental one. For decades after I would come across thinking in my head that had it’s associations with the original indoctrination of the UPC. Particularly the notion that being gay was inherently wrong. It took many years to overcome that hurdle, and is an indication of the true damage that these churches do in society.

I met a lovely woman and we fell in love and had a daughter. We both loved each other deeply. My personal view is that love isn’t restricted to a particular sex, but is about the person whatever sex they are. We were together for 17 years, getting married for the last 8. She was chronically ill however, and passed away peacefully in 2006 after many years of sickness and pain. It was sad but in many ways beautiful to be with her to the very end.

In recent years I’ve found the freedom and space to recognise my gay sexuality and pursue it. There have been many things cause huge amounts of mental and emotional pain in the last few years, but at least I’m feeling the most comfortable I’ve ever felt about my sexuality and who I am. Regarding that, it has been a long journey over decades. Much of it the thought processes brainwashed into me by the church, not allowing me the freedom to even address the issue in the first place. It was always denial and guilt.

Peter.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 24, 2010, 22:57

Hi Peter

Welcome to f2b! It’s great to have you here and we hope you find this a safe place where you are free to be yourself.

You said:

It was one of the hardest things I’d done in my life; to declare that the last 5 years of my life had been spent being indoctrinated by a cult.

I was also involved in a church that became cultish. The effects of that were extremely damaging and not to be underestimated . And yet, I find that church people often dismiss spiritual abuse and manipulation, using the call for forgiveness as a kind of whitewash. In saying that, I’ve now reached a point of being glad for the growth that came out of my suffering. Not that I’d wish that on anyone, I might add.

I truly believe that nothing is wasted and those awful things that have happened to you have helped shape the beautiful person you are today. They give you a strength, compassion and definition of character that might not be present to the same degree if you hadn’t gone through what you did.

My personal view is that love isn’t restricted to a particular sex, but is about the person whatever sex they are.

I love what you say here. And I think your woman was blessed indeed to have you in her life. 🙂

Thanks for sharing some of your story. I find myself very moved, both by what you’ve written and your tenderness.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 25, 2010, 01:07

welcome welcome welcome Peter…..so good to have you here with us and thanks for taking the time to post.

Certainly being a cultish breed of Christianity can complicate things for us.

Its like another layer to sort out. I guess it is a bit like the same sex oriented person who has been sexually abused…..they have to sort out the abuse from the orientation. this is why a number of people who go to ex-gay programs have experienced sexual abuse.

i was fairly fortunate in that my only cult experience lasted 6 months whilst I was in a live in ex-gay program……it was a closed community run be two women with very strict rules……even had a minder for several months. The accountability was oppressive. I walked away from everything……..for 7 months…….then came back into a freer form of Pentecostal Christianity. Can’t say I experienced anything else that was cultic after that.

But as you have read it took me some time to sort out my sexuality issues.

Peter

Joined in 2010
November 25, 2010, 20:30

Yes. “some of your story“…. Thank you Ann Maree 0:) As with all here I’d guess it’s very hard to put any of our stories into a short message board post. There is much more.

I used to think that all that has happened to me was for the better good darl, but today I personally think that notion too is a hangover from the church. If my life experiences were supposed to make me a better person, then they have failed. Last year they drove me to the brink of suicide. I was measuring plastic bags over my head for a few weeks (I decided the smaller ones were better btw as I didn’t like that long suffocating feeling). Or a trip to the cross to get a big needle of heroin; as I don’t use it it wouldn’t have taken much.

The point is that today after the mental collapse, I’m a shadow of the person I was. I will never be who I was, never as strong, never the pillar I once was. Today I’m shattered. The pieces have stopped falling, but I can’t find much left to pick up darl. Things don’t always happen for the better, sometimes they just happen for the worse. Call it fate, call it chance, call it life, call it whatever, but it’s certainly not the will of any loving god.

Andrew, yes I was “acquainted” with a guy a while back that had just issues as you say, abused too much to be polite about here. He told me when we got into a big discussion that that was the “mind fuck“. “Was it the abuse that made me this way?” (I’m sure how all the moralists would assert) or was he just that way anyway? This was a guy who was ganged fucked way under-aged, his ass needing rebuilding. People went to jail, and one of them he tells me was killed in there for what he did to him.

BTW, forgive me if I come across overly. Each to their own mate, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 25, 2010, 21:22

Hi Peter

Yeah you’re right. There’s a lot in life that can’t be explained or made sense of. Sorry to have made your experiences sound like they had a silver lining or as if I was giving a pat explanation. That definitely wasn’t my intention although I can see I didn’t express myself properly in the previous post. Again, my apologies.

From my own experiences, I can see some positives from past suffering but for me this isn’t a hangover from church mentality. It just kind of evolved as I journeyed on, with personal development and other experiences. Getting away from the church certainly helped and I’m not in any rush to go back. I do notice however that I’m no longer bitter about what happened and that feels good.

I wish things didn’t happen for the worst and I’m really sorry that’s been the case for you, Peter. It does seem that a lot of people draw a short straw when it comes to suffering, which defies understanding. I agree with you that no loving God could will those things to happen.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Peter

Joined in 2010
November 26, 2010, 19:45

I just get bitter when I get the “you will never be given more than you can handle” line. I did.

Apologies about going off.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 26, 2010, 20:06

No probs. 🙂

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
November 28, 2010, 15:19

Hi Peter,

Welcome to freedom2b[e] our/your safe online community.

We have both LGBT people and hetero members and supporters who are aligned with our mission – whether they are actively involved in a faith or not – there is no agenda here.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Glad to have you here on the forum.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 30, 2010, 23:15

sometimes life is a real sh*#….isn’t it.

I remember for so many years after resigning from the ministry there wasn’t much that made sense.

No platitudes or cliches from me mate……except ….what can I say.

you can vent here

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.086 seconds.