Forums

majority of US christian support LGBT equality

Page: 1

IanJ

Joined in 2009
June 18, 2011, 12:39

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2011/05/hrc-poll-majority-of-christians-support-lgbt-equality-oppose-doma/

HRC poll: Majority of Christians support LGBT equality, oppose DOMA

LGBTQ Nation • Monday, May 23, 2011 • Comments (24)

Click “Like” to share this article with friends.

The majority of Christian Americans oppose the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act, favor protecting LGBT people from discrimination, and support anti-bullying laws according to new polling released today by the Human Rights Campaign.

In perhaps the most compelling finding, more Christians than the overall population say their faith compels them to believe the law should treat LGBT people equally. Additionally, a strong majority of Christians believe that anti-LGBT religious leaders do more harm than good.

According to the poll, Christians of all ages support LGBT equality. A majority of Christians — 52 percent — also oppose the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act, according to a previous HRC poll by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research poll.

Finally, an astounding 86 percent of Christians believe their faith leads them to the conclusion that the law should treat all people equally, including LGBT people.

“We’re seeing a sea change in the relationship between faith and LGBT equality,” said HRC President Joe Solmonese. “What’s most interesting is that not only are people of faith embracing equality, but they’re doing so because of their faith.”

The HRC poll was conducted in partnership with Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research. Additional poll results are here.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 19, 2011, 13:42

Interesting that in most of these the young group 18-29 are not in the majority……I would have thought they would be. I wonder what others feel about that.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 19, 2011, 17:10

Interesting that in most of these the young group 18-29 are not in the majority……I would have thought they would be. I wonder what others feel about that.

I would of thought so too, I think that age group is generally more accepting in general. Be good when we see those sort of statistics here. 🙂

IanJ

Joined in 2009
June 19, 2011, 22:28

Yes, I noticed the same thing.

Sometimes small differences may be due to the small number of people surveyed. But it’s across all the questions. I assumed that they may have been more under the influence of years of preaching and not having had enough experience of life to make some decisions for themselves.

cal87

Joined in 2011
June 20, 2011, 11:25

i am confused how they word it “do you favor or oppose” it seems like they are asking two things in one question “are you for or against”

did anybody else get that? or am I just reading it wrong?

IanJ

Joined in 2009
June 20, 2011, 19:50

I think you’re reading it correctly Anthony. When you read the text, it becomes clear that the graph is for AGREE with the statement. ie are in FAVOR.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
June 20, 2011, 21:28

I’d be interested in how they sourced their participants. Was it just people who visited the HRC site? I can’t seem to find where they say.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 20, 2011, 23:44

seems HRC commissioned the survey so I guess the answer is no

http://www.hrc.org//documents/HRCPublicMemo51811.pdf

The telephone survey, including cell phones was conducted 5/13/11 through 5/16/11 among 1,030 adults. It has a margin of error of +/- 3.05 percent. View the polling results at http://www.hrc.org/religionpoll2011

http://www.hrc.org//documents/ReligionPolling_Document.pdf

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
June 25, 2011, 11:48

Wow…what a great response and helpful table…

Suzee

Joined in 2011
July 9, 2011, 12:08

Its great to know the more mature age groups are a lot more accepting and open-minded than I would’ve thought.

I wonder if the results would differ elsewhere…I’d love to have one done in New Zealand. 🙂

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.105 seconds.