Forums

Mardi Gras 2010 ... share your experience!

Page:   1 2 3 4

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 7, 2010, 11:40

I’d like to invite you to participate in the largest consultation New Mardi Gras has ever run about the future of the Mardi Gras Parade.

We want to know what you like, what you don’t and how we can do it better, particularly around issues such as participation and funding.

To find out more visit: http://www.mardigras.org.au/itsyourparade/index.cfm.

The deadline is 25th June.

Here is my entry

Parade Purpose

It’s an opportunity for LGBTI people to celebrate their identity, culture and history. Straight people have lots of opportunity to celebrate their heterosexuality such engagements, weddings, baby showers, marriage anniversaries etc….. Its great to have one day a year where we get to celebrate who we are.

Parade Participation

I believe the parades focus should be the LGBTI community. Our history, our community and a time of celebration. The parade should be for LGBTI community people, their friends, family and supporters. Any messages that groups are presenting should be in line with our community and not pushing a separate agenda or message. LGBTI Community groups should feature…..along with others who support our cause and equality. Eg corporates who have promoted diversity in the workplace. Eg IBM. Telstra etc.

What’s working?

1. I like it that there are so many community groups participating. I think this is important because it breaks down stereotypes and gives a greater sense of the diversity within our community as well as the support. Many people think the parade is about tits and bums as the media images and coverage often focuses on the outrageous. Having been involved in other Pride parades the emphasis on community is stronger.

2. This year the parade community were very helpful in ensuring that our group was placed in an appropriate part of the parade. The previous two years we had unfortunately been placed in next to people that some in our group had difficultly with thus diminishing the impact of the value of individuals participation. I can talk with you more about this if you want.

3. Having a media spokesperson identified in the group this year was really good. In previous years media people had approached some in our group who were guests or fringe people. What they said was not totally on target with our message.

4. Groups like, the federal police, armed services, life savers etc are an important part of the parade as they demonstrate the growing understanding and acceptance of LGBTI people.

5. I really liked the idea of Carnivale this year for participants. We all put a lot into contributing to the success of the night. The free party was a great way to give back to participants and volunteers. Normally I’m too exhausted after the weeks of preparation and the parade itself to go to the big party and certainly not worth the money I’d have to pay to get in. I would only be there for a few hours. This year I was able to chill out with friends afterwards……and head home when I felt like I’d had enough. Great move.

What’s not working?

I think you guys do an amazing job. The logistics for a parade like this are enormous. The fact that you do this all with volunteers is a credit to you all. People are often quick to criticize but its easier to do that from the sidelines. I do wonder at times just how much some of the critics are actually involved.

I do think the Spencer Tunick event was a waste of time and money and had nothing to do with our community. Possibly even a detrimental message by making it a Mardi Gras event. I know this has nothing to do with parade except to say that the limited funds could have been used more wisely.

Improvements

More toilets in the marshalling area. Surely that wouldn’t be too difficult to calculate what is needed as you know the exact numbers in that area.

Funding

I think there should be some government funding at State and Federal level. The parade etc brings a lot of tourism $$$$ to State and National economy. It seemed hypocritical that millions of $$$$$$$ funding was provided for the Popes visit and yet Mardi Gras gets nothing. Whats that about?

Corporate sponsorship is important so long as they are doing if for the right reasons. Primary focus should not be the pink dollar…..but of course their participation in the community naturally brings a respect that produces brand loyalty.

Other comments

Freedom 2 b[e] has been marching for four years now. It is an important time in the calendar year for us. Our parade entry is important on a number of levels.

Firstly, as our work is with LGBTI people from Pentecostal and Evangelical backgrounds, it sends out a message that there is a growing acceptance of LGBTI people in these circles.

Secondly it touches individuals in the crowd and watching the coverage. It is not unusual as we march up Oxford St to see people in the crowd who are positively shocked and encouraged by our presence. Some people actually contact us afterwards for information or support after seeing us in the parade.

Thirdly, the parade has an enormous impact on the participants themselves. Many within our organisation have had a difficult journey coming to the place of resolving the perceived conflict between their faith and sexuality. For some this has included such things as depression, thoughts of or attempts to suicide. Some have experienced rejection by family and friends. Marching in the parade can be quite an emotional experience as people finally put to bed the last traces of shame or guilt about their orientation. It is an enormously empowering experience to march up that street with 10,000’s of people cheering you because you are out and proud. I often remind those marching with us that the person they are at the end of the parade is very different to the person they were at the beginning. The parade plays an important role in their journey to total self acceptance.

http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2007/03/divine-moment-in-mardi-gras-parade.html

http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/722

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.05 seconds.