Forums

Mardi Gras 2010 ... share your experience!

Page:   1 2 3 4

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
February 28, 2010, 12:19

Last night there were quite a few Freedom2bers marching for the first time in Mardi Gras 🙂

We would love you to share that experience with us

For me as a “two-timer”, I thought last night’s parade was just as good (if not better) than last year! The crowd was just so supportive, and as I read in the newspaper this morning, the annual Mardi Gras parade has definately moved from being a statement of protest for equal rights, to being a celebratory event where LGBT people and their supporters from all walks of life can come together in unison to proudly proclaim their heritage and identity.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 28, 2010, 13:05

Congratulations to everyone.

What a wonderful night. I trust you had an amazing time. I know for some it was a very moving experience and meant a lot to march up Oxford St and put shame and fear to bed once and for all.

The reactions of the crowd demonstrated had an important message. When we marched through the Glam Stand and the drag queen hosts announced the theme of our group, people gave us a standing ovation. One guy waved me over while we were marching and said thanks so much and that he wished he knew of our message earlier….he had been through an ex-gay program himself.

It was unfortunate that one of our members was verbally attacked early in the piece when a person read the words ex-gay on our shirts. Behind that attack would have been a story as to why they reacted so aggressively. If they would read the entire message on the shirt “Celebrates Ex-gay Survivors” ..and if they had thought things through instead of just abusing they would have realised that there is NO WAY Mardi Gras would let any anti-gay group into the parade. When I mentioned what had happened to a Mardi Gras committee member they said that, if they had been there, the person would have thrown out of the parade. That kind of abusive behaviour is not tolerated.

Despite that, in the end I think we all had a good time. And with our signs Ex-gay – No Way, Still Gay, Ex-Ex-Gay, Reconciled, Love has no Conditions, our message was strong and clear. Many people are unaware that these ex-gay programs still exist in Australia and cause enormous damage in peoples lives…..even contributing to suicides. Part of our role is to educate and present a positive message.

You may have seen me become quite emotional just before we took off. I know almost everyone’s personal story and they journey to get to the point where they can proudly march up Oxford St. And I am also conscious of the ones we have lost. I feel privileged to have contributed in some way to facilitate an opportunity for you to be free to be yourself.

Why don’t you share your experience on our forum? http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/722

Do you have any good pics of the night. They can be posted in this gallery http://www.freedom2b.org/category/image-galleries/freedom-2-be-mardi-gras-2010. Email your best pics to [email protected] and they will be added.

So thanks once again to everyone contributing to a wonderful night.

Special thanks of course must go to the planning and organising committee Shane, Ben and Nick who have put in hours of work to make last night happen.

Thanks also to

• All the first-timers

• AJ and David who carried the banner all the way through the parade.

• Our Victorian, WA and Qld people who travelled so far to join us.

• Dale from Canada and his Aussie friends.

• The girls from the Central Coast.

• Jeff who had just flown in from LA that morning (think jetlag)

• Craig and Duncan from New Zealand.

• Steve our cameraman who is working on a video of the night and a doco for Freedom 2 b[e]

• Our official photographer Alex http://alexphotopaint.net/

• and my lovely daughter Hannah who marched with me for the first time

Thanks to everyone

BTW…..we were mentioned in the Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/colour-and-joy-tinged-with-tears-20100227-pa3q.html?autostart=1

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
February 28, 2010, 13:17

Pretty awesome!

First time for me. I’ve not been deafened by a crowd that much since I was at the Sydney Olympics watching Cathy Freeman run. I think this one might have even been louder at times, once you add the whistles and music.

It’s like nothing else though. All the cheering, the waving – the crowd was incredible. Getting called over to give high fives. Being pointed at followed by a “You’re cute!” once as well :shy: Thankfully my ears and feet have recovered overnight, but I still have a smile stuck on my face which may take a bit longer to subside.

I was also expecting my eyes to be offended a lot more than they actually were. I think I only had to look away from another parade-goer twice. Though maybe that’s because I was marching and didn’t see the whole thing :p Even just being in the marshaling area and seeing all the other floats was an event in itself, and the camaraderie between everyone was great.

Definitely a night I won’t be forgetting.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
February 28, 2010, 15:54

Amazing night….love freedom 2 b[e]!!

An article in Page 13 of the Sun Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/colour-and-joy-tinged-with-tears-20100227-pa3q.html?autostart=1

And also we can be seen on Sunrise

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/play/-/6864406/fifi-at-mardi-gras

happyprecious

Joined in 2008
February 28, 2010, 19:50

I had a great night. It was my first time and thouroughly enjoyed the time with all the Freedom 2 b[e] gang. I think that we all looked fantastic (of course) and feel so warmly welcomed by you all. Looking forward to seeing all the pics.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 28, 2010, 19:57

Hi happyprecious

That’s so good to hear. I also look forward to seeing the photos. 🙂

JKH

Joined in 2009
February 28, 2010, 23:45

Sos, sounds like you guys had a really fun time in Mardi Gras :), sooooo wish I was there haha, was trying to spot you guys from the air when I land from Hong Kong last night lol. Looking forward to see the wonderful photos!!!

oooooo

Joined in 2006
March 1, 2010, 17:28

LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT!!!

It was a unique experience.

I was overwhelmed by the kindred spirit of the 9500 marchers

and the support from the crowd was inspiring,

I was wondering through the march if pastors and other christian leaders have ever asked the crowd why they go to support the mg?

Many would have been ‘straight’ yet were very supportive. I know of hetero couples from the coast here that went down, their first experience of MG too. They loved it. I wonder, if christian leaders bothered to get out of their own shoes and ask people in the crowd about MG and the GLBTI community in general, could they possibly see things a little differently?

One for me to continue to ponder on I guess.

Well as far as me is concerned, I am HOOKED BIG TIME.

I will be down next year again.

Was awesome meeting everyone.

I have had a few thoughts about our ‘entry’ too. In time, we will begin discussing next year i presume, but for now … let’s enjoy the moment.

If you have not been, if you have ever thought about it, well 2011 can be your year.

It is empowering, to say the least.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 1, 2010, 18:59

Who can you see in this video???????/

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
March 3, 2010, 22:55

The Sun began to set above the skyscrapers above me. The generators were starting and the lights were flickering on. The beats were starting to play though speakers on the numerous floats and final practices were underway before the main event.

We were united together in our marshalling area awaiting our final orders to take to the street. From the corner of my eye I saw the most important thing. The one thing that would make the whole night worthwhile. There amungst us was our leader, head bowed in prayer dedicating our footsteps to God. I knew then for sure I was in the right place, I would have joined in, but before I had the chance, the prayer finished.

We had spent the last couple of hours down this little laneway. It was our own little world down there. I had no idea what was in place along the march route, no idea what to expect. Our team assembled. We were moments away from taking those first steps. Steps towards the start of the parade, steps I have never walked before. My mind had prepared me to the best of its ability, But as I was about to learn, nothing could prepare you for Mardi Gra. It was now time to march. With banner and signs raised we launched ourselves into the main event.

My eyes gazed along the street in front of me. people were everywhere, climbed on top of lamp posts, looking down from balconys. there was no room left. every inch of footpath was taken up with people. We started moving, the croud roared, cheered, whistled, shouted. you couldnt hear your own thoughts. your own thoughts were replaced with the supportive voice of the croud. they were carrying me on. driving me to take my next step, and after each step there was another cheer compelling me to take the next one.

My eyes scanned the croud. I noticed they were all there for a single cause. the cause the drew us all there. you would think that cause would be supporting the GLBT cause but that wasnt what I saw. What I saw was greater than that. what was uniting tens of thousands of people was “love”. everyone was there showing their love in their own way. Some were sharing their love with tears running down their face. Others were sharing their love by shouting at the top of their lungs. Others, Hugging and kissing everyone they could get their hands on. The march followed the streets of Sydney. But what I saw wasn’t Sydney, It was the nations of the world united. from the UK, New Zealand, America, Africa, the whole Globe. We were all talking and marching to the same language. The language of love.

My attention was drawn away from the croud. my focus shifted to the people that were marching beside me. Having read many of their stories right here on this site I knew there was more happening here than marching and cheering. Lives were being changed in this single moment. Chains were breaking free with every step. You could see it on the faces of the marchers. New life had sparked inside!

Our feet had carried us kilometres, The parade nearing its end. But there was one more point we had to pass. We inched slowly towards the main grandstand where thousands of people were awaiting our arrival. We stepped forward and were announced to the multitudes. they roared! The drag queen hosts looked at us from their raised platform and annouced to the people “I’m glad they Survived”.

Then it hit home.

We were the survivors!

Our numbers should have been more, But we had lost people on this journey. Suicide, depression, bullying, isolation, traditions. Many years of hurt and neglect had taken its toll. How many more lives would be lost before “Christians” realise that its not a closed book on the topic. How many more people should have been marching beside me but instead their life had been cut short. People need to open a dialogue and their minds to what God is really saying about love and acceptance. We are ready to talk, to share, to guide them on the journey. They need to make the second move and open their doors and their hearts to the possibilities, We have already made the first move. Its time now for them to step up to the plate.

Thank you to everyone who marched beside me. You made my experience what it was, A moment to remember and cherish.

Love HereIam

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.09 seconds.