Forums

Melbourne March Meeting-'The Scriptures and Homosexuality- it's possible to know the Bible well and yet miss the point!'

Page: 1

Linda
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2006
February 24, 2010, 21:43

We are pleased to announce that we have Rowland Croucher for our next meeting. Rowland has been a christian for over 60 years with a wealth of scriptural knowledge and ministerial experience. This includes the pastoring of small and large churches in Australia and British Columbia (Canada), graduate of half a dozen tertiary institutions, writer of 13 books (best known: ‘Still Waters Deep Waters’), teacher in various Theological/Bible Colleges etc. Currently director of John Mark Ministries – serving pastors, ex-pastors, church leaders and their spouses – counselling, writing, preaching, seminaring, and running the busy JMM website – 100,000+ unique visitors a month, and several ‘1Month’ blogs.- http://www.jmm.aaa.net.au

Rowland has recently celebrated 50 years of marriage to his wife Jan and is the father of 4 children and 6 Grandchildren!

This is an event not be be missed.

(There will also an invitation to make a donation on the night – which will go to Rowland’s daughter Lindy’s ministry with Urban Seed http://www.urbanseed.org in downtown Melbourne.. )

WHEN: Friday 19th March, 2010

TIME: 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start

TOPIC: ‘The Scriptures and Homosexuality- it’s possible to know the Bible well and yet miss the point!’

WHERE: Victorian Aids Council Building 6 Claremont St, South Yarra Melways reference 2L J5 The entrance is at the side of the building. Just ring the door bell and we will come and let you in. You are welcome to join us afterwards at La Porchetta, Toorak Rd South Yarra

Looking foward to seeing you

Linda and Michelle Contact No. 0430045585 Do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

> [email protected]

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 2, 2010, 14:56

Looks like a great night. You are very privileged to have a wonderful …..and popular man like Rowland to speak.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 21, 2010, 01:02

fantastic night last night……nearly 40 people…..and around 30 joined us for dinner afterwards.

Melbourne F2B is rocking…..

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 23, 2010, 19:14

I’m sorry to have missed this due to work commitments. Would love to hear from those who attended about their experiences. 🙂

deafant

Joined in 2009
March 24, 2010, 17:23

I have heard Rowland Croucher speak once before at a pentecostal church I attended many many moons ago. 😉 to Ann Maree

It was a good night with an informal atmosphere that later lent itself to a Q&A with Rowland and people lending support to questions raised.

The thing that struck me the most was that Rowland said that he hadn’t heard one sermon on justice which he spoke of as a major theme in the bible. I reflected on the Salvos and similar organisations that address the justice in their way – its not a major feature of the church which is interesting to think about.

He spoke of – Love the lord your go with all your heart and strength and love your neighbour as yourself – and what struck me is that churches often stop at the first bit an have nothing to do with their neighbour. So few imho tend to the last 2 words “as yourself” – who of us can say we truly love ourselves? Its a characteristic that is not present in many. *raises hand* I have work to do in this area.

It was good to hear someone from the gathering speak on this point of loving and accepting ourselves as we are. I think its really important to love who we are and put ourselves first – contrary to popular christian tradition. Whilst its good to show love to people its also about the quality of that love – otherwise it wouldnt have mentioned “as yourself”. We all know that our ability to love others is seriously impaired if we cannot love ourselves.

Thats my take on it anyway 😀 😉

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 24, 2010, 18:15

Thanks Ant. Good point about justice. Rowland is so right about that. I’ve never heard justice being preached and yet it’s throughout the bible. And I believe Jesus practised and cared about justice a lot. It just doesn’t seem to be as important to a lot of leaders, otherwise they’d preach on the subject. (Of course my personality type favours justice quite strongly as well as compassion, so I’m biased on this).

As for the importance of loving self in order to love others, you and many here might know it’s one of my favourite subjects. After being in caring roles for over 20 years, I’ve learnt it’s not possible to outwardly apply true love and nurturing long term without continually topping up my own needs for love. There has to be a work/life/ministry balance otherwise we burn out. Jesus gave healthy examples in his own life for this, retreating to quiet places and trying to avoid crowds as a form of self care.

You may be surprised to know that there are many people who are not aware of the importance of self nurture, hence the amount of misplaced martyrs and well meaning carers who are exhausted in homes, work places and churches everywhere. I often point out to people that there’s a reason flight attendants have to include specific instructions on this point in their safety demos. In the event of changes in cabin pressure and oxygen being required, mothers, parents and carers are instructed to fit their own O2 masks before those of their kids or dependants. Why? It’s because most carers automatically place their personal needs as secondary to those in their charge. It’s such a natural and inbuilt instinct and so hard to change that we carers have to be reminded of the importance of our own needs. The thing is we won’t be able to continue in our caring role if unconscious. This is also along the lines of what first aiders are taught: remove danger before trying to help otherwise there may be 2 people injured instead of one. So there you go!

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.059 seconds.