Melbourne October Meeting!

Page: 1

Linda
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2006
October 6, 2009, 21:11

Hello to you all!

This Month we are showing the DVD “Prayers for Bobby”

A true story of Mary Griffith, gay rights crusader, whose teenage son committed suicide due to her religious intolerance. Based on the book of the same title by Leroy Aarons. It is acclaimed to be a truly inspiring movie and I hope you are able to join us.

WHEN Friday 16th October, 2009

TIME 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start

WHERE Victorian Aids Council Building

6 Claremont St,

South Yarra

Melways reference 2L J5

The entrance is at the side of the building. Just ring the door bell and we will come and let you in.

You are very welcome to join us afterwards at La Porchetta South Yarra

Looking foward to seeing you

Linda and Michelle

Contact No. 0410561431 Do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

[email protected]

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 6, 2009, 21:52

Amazing movie…..I encourage everyone to see it…..and if you have already seen it……then who do you know that you could bring along.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 7, 2009, 00:24

see trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y78m84V29DQ

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 11, 2009, 16:18

Hi,

I was just wondering if “Prayers for Bobby” dvd has subtitles/captions

Thanks

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 11, 2009, 17:05

thats a great question …..I’m assuming you are hearing impaired (hope that is the right term).

You can email [email protected] with that question and they will be able to check the settings on the DVD…..who knows it might have that function they can turn on for you.

BTW……Craig on this forum is deaf….and works with hearing impaired people….you’ll find some of his posts here in oooooo’s story http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3567

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 11, 2009, 17:50

Hi avb,

I consider myself Deaf even tho I am less active in the Deaf Community these days. I also choose the term Deaf with a capital ‘D’ because I dislike the way that the term ‘hearing impaired’ positions me as less than hearing. Some hearing people think I should get over it but I am doing my best to put myself on the same level as hearing people cos I grew up thinking that hearing people were smart and I was dumb and this is simply not true. Also I don’t like the way that ‘hearing impaired’ can be a way of sugarcoating the fact I am actually deaf in the audiological sense. Like if I take my hearing aids off I cant hear very much at all – unless someone is prepared to scream into my hears 😆 In many ways my journey to accepting my being Deaf is very similar to my being Bi. I came out as Deaf and as Bi (on different occasions of course). Its interesting… there are many parallels.

Cool about Craig will look him up

Have emailed as you suggested – thanks

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 11, 2009, 19:45

yes there are parallels in lots of areas….for some of us from faith backgrounds we have to come out about our faith in the GLBT community like we have to come out about our sexuality in a straight world.

I’m glad I asked about terminology…..I know it is important….and some people prefer to use different terms. Transgender and transexual are another example. Some prefere one…some the other….some dont mind which….so don’t want a label at all…..they are just who they are.

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 11, 2009, 21:13

yeah like I would like to try and aim for less labeling but on the other hand its convenient shorthand and then again the labels can limit others and ourselves so there is no easy foolproof answer.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.077 seconds.