Forums

Mercy Ministries & Gloria Jeans!

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
March 22, 2008, 09:07

Man alive!!! Is all this media attention true. There are stories coming forth from woman who have been part of the program, that there were separation contracts and they had to detail if they had been involved in “lesbianism” within a list that asked them about history of prostitution and witchcraft!!!!

I just want to know if there is anyone out there with inside info. I attend Hillsong church, and sometime wonder about their influence on people who conservatively take what they term a “Biblical perspective”.

I had a scary encounter with a friend at “Powerhouse” Youth one Friday who heard of our mutual friends’ marriage separation, and he got right on the phone to call her and tell her that she couldn’t do that unless there had been adultery – it’s “un-Biblical”.

Fanaticism is everywhere, not just Hillsong Church. I feel like all this attention has shocked me and discouraged me since I thought that Hillsong and many other churches were moving forward on some of the issues we face as GLBTIQ People.

Have your say.

PS here is one of the links from a SMH.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/bspecial-investigationb-gods-cure-for-gays-lost-in-sin/2008/03/18/1205602385236.html

and the facebook group with lots more links and articles and the press releases etc.

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=21028732968

March 22, 2008, 10:08

I refuse to buy coffee from Gloria Jeans because of the Hillsong connection.

My uncle and family attend Hillsong and I am often “debating” with him. He says that the media puts a spin on everything. That may be true but there has to be some element of truth in the stories otherwise they would be libel and slander suits all over the place.

There may be individuals within the church who are coming around on their stance to homosexuality but the church as a whole is a long way off.

luke_18

Joined in 2008
March 22, 2008, 11:32

gloria jeans has no connection with hillsong… i get so frustrated. they sponser/donate money to mercy ministries… since when is charity such a horrible thing?

lloydjones

Joined in 2006
March 22, 2008, 11:37

Good point Phil, and I think it is safe to say that a lot of what the media says is to get readers. I am sure there is some truth, but some of it isnt widespread.

And to make things clear… Hillsong and Gloria Jeans. One of the CEO’s happens to go to Hillsong. Other than that, no connection. Like Luke said.

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
March 22, 2008, 14:42

Yeah I know that Billy Jean’s has nothing to do with Hillsong (LOL).

My concern is the Mercy Ministries thing. The Ex-gay thing and the attitude of influential Christian churches towards us. I know there are attitudes changing all the time, and that is so so great! However, if it is true that Mercy had or has an Ex-gay agenda with the women, that makes me very disappointed.

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
March 22, 2008, 17:44

My sister is in Hillsong and is involved with mercy ministries. I must admit I have a hard time with the evangelistic side of what appears to be a fairly good program. If I get into a conversation about it with her she becomes a bit like a dog with a bone! 😉 Apart from the good this ministry does with young women in crisis I believe it to be yet another recruitment strategy to the mother church.

As far as this church moving forward with the glbtiq community and showing compassion, understanding and acceptance I too feel individuals are closer to this happening than the church in general. 😀

Cheers Michelle

frogger

Joined in 2005
March 23, 2008, 20:00

My friend is the corner stone of all this media attention. I can state without any shadow of doubt that in this instance everything is true.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 24, 2008, 00:04

I will be posting on my blog shortly about Mercy Ministries, Sy Rogers and Hillsong.

March 24, 2008, 21:12

Hillsong = prosperity doctrine

“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:32-34

Also read Matt 6:19-21 and plenty more.

I can’t find any Biblical basis for the prosperity doctrine. Does it just drop from the sky like manna? mmm… tasty

I wonder how many people come to Jesus because they think they will be rich. Then fall away when adversity comes. mmm.. yuk

March 24, 2008, 21:17

I agree. You won’t get into heaven by having a Mercedes parked in the garage.

“No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.” The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. Luke 16:13-14

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.059 seconds.