Forums

Missing category?

Page: 1

y_v101

Joined in 2008
February 26, 2009, 10:57

Original post: 27 February 2009 – Copied to Telling our Stories

It seems to me that until the partnered gay / lesbian Christian makes the decision with their partner to end and leave their relationship, it would be reasonable to conclude that there are many in our Christian congregations in this category and on a different journey to the closeted married gay or the openly out and let’s end our marriage gay….

What if they (known to each partner, married & gay) do not wish to end their relationship at least not in the foreseeable future? Does this then mean they are being untrue to themselves or living a lie? If we accept that sexuality is more fluid than we first thought and if sexuality is best understood on a continuum scale than this should not be all too surprising. Maybe we need to accept that there are “mixed orientation couples” who are open with each other and are not “hanging in some terrible partnership” out of tragic agony and angst.

Now the notion of “good enough” needs expansion but that’s for another day and another post Razz

Staying on the subject, the “coming out” of such couples will likely take a different form and shape from the ones who clearly want nothing of the intimacy of this kind except in a clearly gay/lesbian relationship. We can assume that the gay is likely to lean towards bi-sexual on the sexuality continuum if he/she is in this kind of relationship. Not uncommonly they may not be strictly bisexual since they may only be “selectively bi” in so far as they will / can only be intimate and partner with a particular member of the opposite gender.

Hence we could say there may be more colours to the rainbow than meets the eye, LOL.

Maybe we need to be “enlightened” enough to not feel our way / cause is being diluted or challenged by anothers’ experience of “resolving” their identity dilemma?

What saddens me though, is that there seems to be even less openness and conversation for such relationships never mind support! By contrast I have found that once you eventually come out as clearly gay/lesbian, there is a lot more help / guidance out there.

It’s as if the gay and straight communities are saying – hey you there, sitting on the fence, get off it! But who says it is a fence and who decides that jumping off one side is better or healthier? Shouldn’t someone who is not bias for one side or the other be able to openly discuss and explore what the individual’s or the couple’s journey, desires and ultimate goals are?

It seems a bit unbalanced and somewhat unjust I feel that the freedom cry to “come out,” be true to yourself before others and your loving Creator God perhaps does not seem to make room for those who do not, yet again, fit our matrix of sexuality, honesty and relationship.

ALL relationships whether gay, heterosexual or mixed orientation do not escape the issues that make any kind of relationship “work” ie. honesty, openness to learn, change and grow out of our limiting thinking and/or behaviours, the ability to give of oneself and receive from others….etc. you get my meaning, I hope.

I haven’t posted in a very long time….I had a lot of thinking and living to do, LOL. I do get onto F2b forums every now and not suprisingly, this forum category is very slow moving; the most active forum is the coming out / telling our stories section. I rest my case, LOL.

Anyway (in the manner of Ellen Degeneres on her show )….I thought since everyone else found such freedom to write and share of themselves I’d take the plunge, catch my thinking onto the written word and wait……… I have NO idea what reponse I’d get or if ANY…oh dear, which is worse I wonder :-0

If can live my Lyfe my way……by not standing in your way as you live yours, I would be honouring you and God who created you in love and that would be a start at least…..

Sincerely

Lyfe

Penny

Joined in 2008
February 26, 2009, 18:28

Heya Lyfe

Thanks for your post, great work 🙂

I agree that sexuality is not a black & white issue. I find that we all feel more comfortable when we put people in boxes. Thats not really a helpful or loving approach to our friendships, especially as Christians.

I personally resist naming other peoples sexuality, and find this to be more open to the great diversity of relationships and sexual orientations. I find it quite disrespectful when people speak of Bisexual persons as those who have not made up their mind yet…

Our relationships are all so diferent, so good on you for naming the often un-named people who are in Opposite sex relationships, but who are also attracted to members of the same-sex, Hoooorrraaahhhhh to diversity!!!

Penny 🙂

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
February 26, 2009, 20:13

Lyfe, I totally agree with all you have said.

Here’s basically a few points of what I believe…

1) I do not believe a gay spouse HAS TO divorce his or her partner. That is truly a difficult decision that must be made only after much thought and communication between the husband, wife, and God.

2) A believe that a marriage between a gay spouse and a straight partner might be able to work long-term. Might. This does not mean likely or that the majority of mixed-orientation couples will find this happening, but it does mean that it could, for a select number of couples, be actuality.

3) I would never encourage a gay person to marry a straight spouse. What I mean by that is 1) I don’t believe we should be knowingly entering mixed-orientation marriages (although those that already exist deserve support) and 2) I believe that people should be in relationships according to what their sexuality allows. If it goes towards men, be with a man and if it goes towards women, be with a woman. For those who experience degrees of bisexuality, however strong or weak, you should also be only with a person who you feel comfortable being with. In short, nothing should be forced or put-upon. No matter what you should pick the best partner possible.

I for one would love to see more straight people on here. Wonder why there aren’t as many since I know that the majority of support for gay rights must come from straight people as they form, far and away, the majority of the population. Hm.

y_v101

Joined in 2008
February 27, 2009, 11:01

…for mixed orientation marriages for as long as they last by choice.

Thank you for your responses Penny & Getting there.

I appreciate your comments,

Lyfe

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 12, 2009, 18:32

its very much a personal decision to be made between the couple……no one has the right to tell them what they should do.

it takes a pretty special couple to make it work though…..lots of openess honesty and respect……and they have to be sure they are staying together for the right reasons…..and that it is for everyone’s benefit.

staying together for the wrong reasons …..everyone loses in the end and gets hurt.

I work with people in this area so have seen the entire spectrum of experiences.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 31, 2009, 01:10

Did you see this

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3998

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.069 seconds.