Forums

Not religious

Page:   1 2

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 29, 2010, 22:09

Hi Peter

Yes I definitely think a spiritual experience can be associated with music like that or with anything of great beauty. The arts have a way of penetrating our defenses and touching our most vulnerable selves. They can shine a light on the most beautiful and wretched parts of us. Music in particular has such a transcendant quality; plumbing our very depths and taking us beyond the confines of this world to a better place. And as you indicate, music transcends language and other barriers to unite people of all types.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2010, 13:37

I would agree that music with strong lyrics, or even without any lyrics can be a spiritual experience. Long before I was even a Christian, I was moved by classical music in a real and spiritual sense. Particularly Beethoven.

Also, the Walt Disney film, Fantasia with it’s marriage of music and images used to tug at me as a child, and still does today. Like Ann Maree, I think music transcends faiths, creeds, ideals, and cultures and can really work on the heart and soul in ways that few other media can.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 30, 2010, 23:01

personally……I like the label spiritual……and hope that all categories are catered here for

http://www.freedom2b.org/about/who-we-help

no judgement

no agenda

RaulG

Joined in 2010
December 1, 2010, 13:29

Querido Peter,

Speaking as a Christian myself, I find that my intellectual and spiritual journey led me to this point. I find that the tenets and revelations in Christian Scripture and thought speak deeper to me on both the level of pure reason and on the plane of metaphysics than other viewpoints I have studied (various spiritualities and worldviews all considered).

It is my view that the discipline, self-denial, and self-sacrifice of my faith has made me more attuned to the needs of my brothers and sisters and thus, more attuned to the call of God.

It is my view that religion (any religion) is not meant to put meaning into our lives. The meaning and purpose is there by design. No. The purpose of such paths is to make the divine plan and the transcendent clearer to us. It is my view that (at least in the case of my own faith) religion has not failed me, but rather has succeeded wildly.

How (and IF) we reach it is up to our willingness to reach out from ourselves.

To answer your question though, yes there are many, many people here who are spiritual but not religious or are nothing at all or are categories all by themselves.

What unites us is that we see a common meeting point in our various journeys: a grave injustice which stinks in the nostrils of all persons, whether homosexual or heterosexual, religious or non. A desire to stand for the rights of our LGBT brothers and sisters in the halls of power and a will to heal and support.

So welcome Peter. Welcome home.

Yours in Christ,

Raul

Peter

Joined in 2010
December 1, 2010, 18:14

personally……I like the label spiritual……and hope that all categories are catered here for

http://www.freedom2b.org/about/who-we-help

no judgement

no agenda

Oh right yes thanks for that link.

Um, well I remain a very non-Christian person. Perhaps it’s the anger over how they treat us, or remembering how hard it was to escape the indoctrination. The worst thing about the UPC was the sort of person it had made me into; a self righteous and arrogant prick who cared more for “holiness standards” and doctrines, than for people themselves. I hated who I’d become, and I resented the church enormously for doing that to me. I have made efforts over the years to change.

Today am a complete secularist. And I’ve found more spirituality and love in my own way than I ever got from the church.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 2, 2010, 00:23

Glad to know you’ve found what works for you peter…….it continues to be a journey I reckon

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.