Forums

Older, mixed-up but self-accepting

Page:   1 2 3

Lady Jane

Joined in 2009
December 28, 2009, 12:00

:~

My story is plain, but it’s my own, so here it is.

I was brought up Roman Catholic (did not have a choice, really, in a RC country). It was pretty heavy indoctrination, heavy on sin and hell, and light on God’s love.

As a result, although I admire people with a living faith, I can only take ‘religion’ in small doses.

I grew up much loved and sheltered (only child of older parents), and went to a girls’ school till 16.

At 11, I had a best friend to whom I was very attached. She felt uncomfortable with me, and broke the friendship and my heart.

I have never had a physical relationship with a woman. With me it always stopped at feelings and desires.

I considered myself capable of being attracted to either sex, and I chose the heterosexual way. I married, had children, then I met another man and my marriage collapsed.

After the end of that relationship, for the following 20 years I decided to ‘close shop’. I was not bitter, I believe in love and I like sex; I just felt very comfortable with celibacy,happy, not just contented, and in control.

Well, little did I know that it was all going to collapse. Unexpectedly one year and a half ago, I fell for another woman (and I felt so foolish at my age). I let my heart and my mind run ahead of reality and out of control. She did not even know of my feelings and I was already dreaming of a happy future together! She was such an interesting person to know and I had been told that she was unattached. Against my better judgement and for the first time in my life I told her how I felt and I asked her to give us a chance. When she said no, and also disappeared from my life, I was totally devastated. I do not understand why the end of something that had not even started felt to me like the end of a long term relationship.

I now had to deal with issues of personal identity as well as the rejection. There was the dismay – and shame – of witnessing my well-nurtured equilibrium and self-sufficiency shatter, and it was a pretty ‘public’ display of vulnerability, bordering on suicidal feelings at times!

I was lucky to be surrounded by very supportive people; I may not be here had they not been around.

I still do not know what I am, but I am comfortable with myself. I have been working at understanding myself more, with the help of a counsellor who respects and supports my identity. I consider this experience a catalyst for growth and change. But it hurt, OMG, did it ever!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 28, 2009, 15:45

Hello Lady Jane……great to have you with us on our forum. the journey for many of us can be long and hard….even torturous at times.

How far along the journey to resolution do you think you’ve come.

Lady Jane

Joined in 2009
December 28, 2009, 23:10

Hi AVB,

How far have I come since this time last year? Well, no matter how I was feeling inside , I have not let that stop me from living, and I have achieved a number of my personal goals for the first year (thank you, coach!),

I have also felt strong enough in myself to wean myself off from the anti-depressant medication.

The uni subject I did last semester (Loss & Grief) has provided valuable insight and tools. What resonates with me the most is the current theory of ‘adaptation’ rather than ‘resolution’. Robert Neimeyer says: ‘closure is for accounts, not for relationships’. I am finding a place for the memory that does not interfere with the present living.

I will never be the same, but I probably do not want to be the same. Living and loving and being a complete person involve every emotion , including pain, and I recognize and accept this.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 30, 2009, 13:43

sounds like great progress to me lady Jane……when you look back at all the things you’ve come through you have achieved a lot.

Hoping and praying that 2010 will be a memorable year for you for all the right reasons.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
December 30, 2009, 21:15

Hi Lady Jane,

Thanks for posting your story, its a brave thing to do and I hope the comments posted and the atmosphere of F2b make it worthwile for you. It’s not plain at all, in fact I find it very interesting. I tend to suffer (and I do mean suffer) from a very ridged black and white view of most things. I’m working on expanding that scope but its a constant challenge for me. I greatly admire how comfortable you are with yourself without the need for labels or ‘identities’ and to be able to give yourself the time to work through what these events and feelings mean for you.

Loosing someone you love is extreemly difficult and I’m sorry that you had to go through it. I hope that in time you emerge from the grief stronger, wiser and with a greater understanding of both yourself and others.

Again, thanks for posting. q

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 30, 2009, 23:24

hey Sandy……nice to hear from you….its been a while…..you’ve been missed. Not only your ability to make things clear (sometimes black and white 😉 …but also your encouraging words like here for Lady Jane.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
December 31, 2009, 00:00

Hello Lady Jane, I also want to welcome you to our community here. It always lifts my spirits to see a new person posting their story. I admire your ability to live without a label. Today’s society makes it very hard for people to do that and I know many people expend so much mental energy trying to figure out what label suits them best. For many the process leads to anguish instead of answers. You are setting a good example, I think. Hopefully one day, a person will not feel any anxiety at all over feelings towards a person of a sex they didn’t know they were attracted to. Looking forward to hearing more from you soon, Lady Jane.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
December 31, 2009, 11:46

Thanks avb, I’ve been practicing listening and just reading and sitting with what has been going on here rather than jumping in straight away.

This may seem totally off topic but I’ve been reading this awesome book called GENDERqueer and here’s a quote:

“The problem is not that we don’t know the gender system well enough but that we know it all too well and and can’t envision any alternative. Thus, trying to understand gender sometimes feels like trying to take in the Empire State Building while standing only three inches away: It’s at once so big, so overwealming, and so close that we can’t see it all at once or conceptualise it clearly.” Riki Wilchins – 2002.

Sometimes I think the same can be said for sexual minorities. We grow up with this heteronormative view of sexuality and then over time discover we are ‘different’ to that ideal in some way. Then there are a whole set of new norms and objectives in the GLBT world. Sometimes we get too close to realise that the labels we have placed on ourselves or that others have given us don’t really fit, they don’t really define us, they’re not wide enough or long enough or give us enough room to explore who we are. Often we are so busy being different we don’t realise who we really are or who we are capable of being. Can we really be different to those who are already labeled different? Can we really be in fact, the way that God made us, unique?

I really admire you Lady Jane for being true to who you are, even if you’re not certain who that is yet. Living with indecision, living without labels or identities or a guidebook for the right way to do things is scary and confronting and messy. You make messy seem very appealing and thats no small feat. Thank you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 31, 2009, 12:16

living with ambiguities is a great lesson to learn. People make poor decisions sometimes when they can’t come up with all the answers.

In the process of churches accepting LGBT people into their congregations they will have to live with some ambiguities……this will be the challenge….because we are so used to saying with have all the answers in the bible.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 31, 2009, 21:00

Hi Lady Jane

Welcome! I hope you will be very comfortable at this site. There are really nice people here, as you can probably tell already, judging by the responses.

I agree with Sandy’s comments (brilliant woman that she is!), not least for saying that you are courageous in sharing your story. It’s hard to be different because on some level we all need to belong and identify with others. There can be a fear of not ‘fitting in’, even within our own community. However, if it’s any consolation, I have been able to express myself honestly, including the sharing of ‘different’ views at this site without being ostracised or disrespected. I hope that you will experience this too, finding freedom 2 be a place to relax and grow.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Happy New Year!!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.109 seconds.