Forums

Older, mixed-up but self-accepting

Page:   1 2 3

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 25, 2010, 23:08

Hi Lady Jane

Nice to see you here again. 🙂 It is a powerful quote indeed. As humans we so crave to be alive and really engaging with others but doing so is risky and we open ourselves to being hurt. And yet the alternative of isolation and numbness is a terrible thing.

I hope you’re well.

Blessings to you,

Ann Maree

Sandy

Joined in 2007
January 26, 2010, 01:00

Lady Jane,

Yes its a great quote isn’t it? It resonated with me too. It’s from a fiction book called “Put Away Wet” by Susan Smith published by the lesbian press Bold Strokes Books http://www.boldstrokesbookshop.com

I’ll be honest, Smith writes beautifully and there are flashes of insight and poignant brilliance but I wasn’t so fond of the plot. I don’t think I actually finished reading the book in the end. Maybe you’d like it better. I believe she has written others too though for me, half a one was enough. I’d be interested to know what you think.

Also I don’t know if this is relevant but avb asked me this question some time back and I posted a bit of a warning about graphic content that may not be thrilling reading for gay men and others who’d prefer not to ‘go there’. I’ll leave that to your descresion.

Lady Jane

Joined in 2009
January 26, 2010, 17:29

Hi Ann Maree,

I went to the Paul Martin workshop last week, which was a bit-fast-paced but very good. It covered a lot (GLB culture, norms, language; theories on causes of sexual orientation; homoprejudice/discrimination; heterosexism; mental health issues; costs of concealment; re-orientation interventions; reparative therapies; 6 stages of sexual identity development (V. Cass), the increased risk of mental illness; case studies). 10 participants, mostly psychologists or students (in psychology or counselling).

There was a handout on GLB mental health, but the rest we took notes.

I am getting ready for uni starting on 5 Feb, I am tired even before starting! and I am trying to rest as much as possible.

This term (cannot call it semester, Canberra uni has changed to 3 terms now), we have ‘Group work” and ‘Introduction to supervision’.

Will you be going to the Mardi Gras? I went last year and enjoyed it very much; but this year I have problems with my knees and I don’t think I can stand the 4 hours waiting for it to start.

Anyway we’ll see, there is still a bit of time.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 26, 2010, 17:55

Hi Lady Jane

Thanks so much for updating me about the conference. It’s a shame I couldn’t attend. No wonder it was fast paced to get through all that material. Phew! Did they say what the current trends are for labelling our community – LGBT or something else? I started a thread on that in the discussion section and it’s interesting to see how people prefer to identify.

I’m still hoping to go to Pride march in Melbourne on Sun 7th Feb but it depends on work commitments. (I’m on call with a second job and currently working a lot of overtime which is paying for my expenditure during the Christmas period). Oops! :~ 🙂 🙂

I hope you continue to get the rest you need before term starts.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.