Forums

One night in San Francisco

Page:   1 2 3

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 19, 2008, 16:54

Hi Gang

I think most you know I’m in the US to speak at a conference with gay Christian pioneers.

tonight I spoke at a charismatic/pentecostal gay church here in San Francisco. Its not the only one here…..BTW

For those who’d like to know more about what i’m doing here is a press release I sent out.

AUSTRALIAN AUTHOR JOINS LINE UP OF GAY CHRISTIAN PIONEERS

For a long time the words gay and Christian rarely appeared in a sentence as being synonymous but since the 1970’s there has been a growing movement that says the two exist comfortably together. Next week, in Phoenix AZ, pioneers of the gay Christian movement will meet to celebrate the progress and Australian author (“A Life of Unlearning”) and co-founder and convenor of Freedom 2 b[e], Anthony Venn-Brown has been invited to speak at the final session of the conference.

The conference, hosted by The Evangelical Network, is the first and largest gathering of gay evangelical leaders, such as Rev Troy Perry (founder of the Metropolitan Community Church [MCC] 1968), Dr Ralph Blair (founder of Evangelicals Concerned 1980) and Justin Cannon (founder of The Gay Christian Network 2001).

“I feel very honoured to be joining such an inspirational group of people, many of whom have paid a huge price to break through ignorance and prejudice. The Rev Troy Perry’s MCC now has 250 congregations in 23 countries. In the past over 21 one of those churches have been either fire bombed or arsoned by extremists. Thankfully, in Australia, we haven’t experienced that level of violence but in some circles the opposition to equality for GLBT people of faith still runs deep” Venn Brown said.

Some have called the gay Christian global movement the “Rainbow Revival” but Venn-Brown speaks of it as the Second Coming …….Out. Since the Stonewall Riots of 1969 gays and lesbians have been proudly declaring their sexual orientation but it is only fairly recently that a wave of people have acknowledged that both exist in their lives without any conflict.

“There is still a lot of work to do but I’ve seen some very encouraging signs of change. The apology to the GLBT community of the 100 Revs in the Mardi Gras parade this year is one of those. The recent statement on sexuality by Pastor Brian Houston, president of the Assemblies of God and Senior Pastor of Hillsong also reflects change” Venn-Brown says. “When Pastor Houston says “This is a global challenge that most of the world’s churches are grappling with, and we, like them, are trying to balance theology with compassion. We do not profess to have all the answers, nor has the church worldwide always got it right, but we will continue to try and connect people to Jesus,” we need to acknowledge that this a move away from all homosexuals are going to hell. Change has already happened at a grass roots, congregational level because people in churches have relatives and friends who are gay and lesbian. Maybe a more informed understanding of who we are is filtering up to the leadership as well. I think the way forward is through dialogue” Venn-Brown concluded.

More Media information available from:

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
June 2, 2008, 01:04

🙂 sigh Anthony, thanks for doing that for us and for our future as Christians who just happens to be Gay.

I’m finally reading your new book… I wanted to wait till Koorong has them 😯 … and I was gonna buy it from Borders but something inside said wait 😕 … smile. Well, I waited and waited… finally I have a book 😀 … and reading it again… the work you do is phenononimal (is that a word?) and I’m so gratefull that we have a good friend like you pushing the boundaries so that we can live and be who we are.

It’s no small feat of yours and Im just glad that God is shinning through your good examples and life. Hugs to you Anthony. 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
June 2, 2008, 09:00

Yes completely agree with Craig……thankyou for being in the frontline 😀

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 2, 2008, 13:53

thanks Craig for your encouragemant.

When you are reading the new edition…..jsut remember that there are an additional 80 pages of info. so….when you are reading….dont think I’ve read this before and scan over it…….as there are additional insights and information on many pages…..it might be a sentence or paragrah that has either changed or been inserted. I actually rewrote if from page one. I think some people who read the second edition didn’t realise just how different it was…..and missed out on all that stuff.

I think the new edition has more of the internal journey as well…..where as the orginal edition focused more on events.

I’d be interested to know your thoughts when you’ve finished.

4JC

Joined in 2007
June 2, 2008, 23:37

I have written your old book once and your new book 2 times.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 3, 2008, 06:15

Wow…….

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
June 7, 2008, 19:06

Yeah I noticed the difference… I liked your first book as I do with your second book. I think its because its the first reading material that really tackled my perception of being Gay and Christian and so I am so biased to your book that I wouldn’t see the wood for the trees. I promise to be honest when I read it again… it is a book that I can’t put down… there’s so many information that sometimes we have to re-read it over again. I understand why some people feel like that they need to read it again because there is so much to incoporate in our thinking and re-educating and unlearning stuff.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 8, 2008, 13:43

i think thats the greatest compliment a reader could give me Craig……not being able to put it down and reading it more than once……. thanks. 😀 😀 😀

Sandy

Joined in 2007
June 8, 2008, 21:12

I have an entire manila folder full of “Venn Brown – C/H/PH/Auto – Initial Notes” Do I get any brownie points? 😆

C – Christian

H – Homosexuality

PH – Pro Homosexuality

Auto – Autobiography

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 9, 2008, 09:05

I feel completely catagorised 😆 😆 😆

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.069 seconds.