Forums

Out of my comfort zone--WAY out!

Page:   1 2 3

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 6, 2009, 00:20

Not sure what its like at Kings……possibly not had a lot of exposure to gay and lesbian people. Its exposure that contributes to the shift. the churches often reflect the surrounding culture. Eg….an inner city church is more likely to be open.

I am not going to Kings. I’m going to a church a bit closer to home. I’m also not going to just come out to all and sundry. I don’t really see it as being important for anyone to know until they absolutely have to know–which I would think will happen if I am asked to join any ‘teams’ within the church. While I am just a ‘bum on a seat’ I don’t think I have an obligation to tell anyone anything much at all.

I was impressed by something Supurbbluewren said on another thread that it is not necessary to air our every view on everything in every place. I agree and am just adopting a “don’t ask, don’t tell” attitude for now.

Why go looking for trouble? 😉

oooooo

Joined in 2006
October 6, 2009, 07:28

yeh i will go with you to church mags

will let you know if i can make it this sun night later in week

what you two (avb and mags)have been saying is true about the way things were as opposed to how they are now

that is one reason i am thinking of stepping back into a church – to see if things have changed – i know with some churches where i have tried to go they haven’t but others might not be like that (i have been out of church for about 5 years now)

I had coffee with a pastor at kings a little while back and she told me i would be welcomed

i would not be allowed to be involved in any type of ministry activity but i could sit in church, worship corporately, hear the message and give my tithe

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 6, 2009, 13:04

yeh i will go with you to church mags

will let you know if i can make it this sun night later in week

what you two (avb and mags)have been saying is true about the way things were as opposed to how they are now

that is one reason i am thinking of stepping back into a church – to see if things have changed – i know with some churches where i have tried to go they haven’t but others might not be like that (i have been out of church for about 5 years now)

I had coffee with a pastor at kings a little while back and she told me i would be welcomed

i would not be allowed to be involved in any type of ministry activity but i could sit in church, worship corporately, hear the message and give my tithe

Yeah, I am kind of hoping/expecting that if I were to tell the pastor of this church that I am gay I would be told the same “You can come worship and give us money, but not be involved in ministry.”

It would probably sting a little not to be able to offer my service, as I’ve always been an active member in those ways, but hey, just being allowed to worship would be good. (just let me keep my self subject if I suddenly feel I have a ‘word’) 😆

Would be great to have you along for moral support, tho!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 6, 2009, 13:45

the lives we live within the community of a welcoming as opposed to an affirming church will contribute to the breakdown of preconceived ideas and stereotyping…..we will be create a better world in churches for G&L young people there. its a long term project.

get with the heterosexual people who will love and accept you…….they will have more influence than we can. Don’t engage with the opposition. Gain respect….thats what i did at Hillsong.

Hope that helps.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 6, 2009, 13:58

the lives we live within the community of a welcoming as opposed to an affirming church will contribute to the breakdown of preconceived ideas and stereotyping…..we will be create a better world in churches for G&L young people there. its a long term project.

get with the heterosexual people who will love and accept you…….they will have more influence than we can. Don’t engage with the opposition. Gain respect….thats what i did at Hillsong.

Hope that helps.

I agree, Anthony. Being there and being visible is always going to help people to see and understand that Gay & Christian can go together, and may pave the way to a better understanding and a more open response.

One thing that I could not do, though, is financially give to that ministry. I know there are ministries out there (Thinking Anglicans comes to mind) where my money would go towards furthering the acceptance of GLBTIQ people in the church that I could give my ‘tithe’ to.

Same with my time, I think.

This might sound harsh, but I don’t feel I would be ‘giving with a cheerful heart’ to a church that welcomed, but didn’t quite affirm.

I’d need time to think about it, I think.

Qwerty

Joined in 2009
October 6, 2009, 14:59

Don’t ask, don’t tell – I think that’s how most people in my little church go about it.

I did tell my pastor after the rumours started flying around, and he said he wasn’t sure what to think – but that my partner and I were welcome and accepted. In fact, she now sings in the worship team.

So after the initial shock of some people (my ex-husband attends the same church) nobody mentions it anymore.

I’m happy to share my beliefs if people have a problem with us being in that (salvation army) church but so far it hasn’t happened.

I think it’s great that you went to church, and that oooooo is coming with you – for me church/worship is an added dimension to my relationship with God.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 6, 2009, 16:18

Don’t ask, don’t tell – I think that’s how most people in my little church go about it.

I did tell my pastor after the rumours started flying around, and he said he wasn’t sure what to think – but that my partner and I were welcome and accepted. In fact, she now sings in the worship team.

So after the initial shock of some people (my ex-husband attends the same church) nobody mentions it anymore.

I’m happy to share my beliefs if people have a problem with us being in that (salvation army) church but so far it hasn’t happened.

I think it’s great that you went to church, and that oooooo is coming with you – for me church/worship is an added dimension to my relationship with God.

Thanks! I am actually looking forward to going again next Sunday night. I’m treating it as a bit of an adventure, really and I still go to the Spiritualist church too as I have made some promising friendships there and don’t see any reason to abandon that.

I’m going to wait and see, and take things as they come. I do miss church/worship and want to get back into that.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 7, 2009, 15:23

a one off or regular donation to freedom 2 b[e] is always appreciated meg if you feel it would be a good investment…..you can find the details of how to do that in the FAQ and Guidelines section under How you can help http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3719

you are already giving your time here of course which is very much appreciated. 😀

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 7, 2009, 15:39

a one off or regular donation to freedom 2 b[e] is always appreciated meg if you feel it would be a good investment…..you can find the details of how to do that in the FAQ and Guidelines section under How you can help http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3719

you are already giving your time here of course which is very much appreciated. 😀

Actually, I was planning on looking into how to support this ministry financially, so you’ve just saved me some digging. 🙂

Thanks, Anthony!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 7, 2009, 20:14

your post Meg….has created some discussion….and two threads…..good one.

I think I might put the Triggers thread on my facebook….what do you think.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.074 seconds.