Forums

Pentecostal man, 49, PhD student, hiding 'out' at a crossroads

Page: 1

SeekingShalom

Joined in 2010
May 29, 2010, 16:37

I am at a crossroads in my life. I have used education to hide the deeper inner issues of sexual identity for most of my life. Now that I am in the final year of PhD studies in theology–and almost 50 years old–there’s no place else to hide. Besides, I am tired of hiding. I am trying to be at peace with the same-sex attractions that have accompanied me most of my life. I long to be at home in my own skin. Is it possible?

I am a third-generation Pentecostal in a classical Pentecostal denomination. I would not trade my heritage for the world, but I am afraid that coming out would mean automatic excommunication. In my church, homosexuality is perceived to be the result of sin–so I have lived conflicted inside for years. I am reading several books now about the so-called clobber passages, and logically I understand that contemporary, loving same-sex relationships are not condemned. But the old tapes inside my head keep replaying! Must I spend the rest of my life unlearning this?

I recently had an open and honest talk with my parents about my sexual orientation and the crossroads at which I find myself. My sister and a handful of close friends know about it as well. My parents took it well. They are loving Christians, but hold to my denomination’s beliefs. I feel that I must move forward, but I am not sure what the next step is. In my heart of hearts, I believe that being in a relationship would help me reconcile my sexuality and faith, but do I have the courage to take that step?

I dream about the future–about using my education to write about homosexuality from a Pentecostal perspective. I think a lot could be done with the themes of the freedom of the Spirit and sexuality. I also dream about finding a loving partner and finding fulfillment in a long-term relationship–embodying the love of God in loving intimacy. Are these dreams mere fantasies?

Thanks for sharing the journey…

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 29, 2010, 17:25

Welcome SeekingShalom!

You sound like a lovely, gentle spirit and my heart really goes out to you in your current predicament.

In answer to your questions: YES, it is definitely possible to be at home in your own skin. And no, it doesn’t have to take your rest of your life to unlearn prior conditioning.

It’s great that your parents have responded lovingly, albeit within their belief systems. The good news is that quite a few major pentecostal churches are changing to become accepting of LGBT. Are you aware of this, such as with Rob Buckingham’s churches and also the stance of 100 Revs who march at mardi gras each year? And if you haven’t already listened to the ABC radio discussion on ‘Homosexuality and Religion’, you might find it encouraging. (It’s on page 2 of the discussion section about two thirds down). The 3 pastors interviewed, also part of 100 Revs, provide a very open minded and loving response toward homosexuality, quite different to what I expected. It melts my heart just thinking about that actually.

I’m excited re your plans to write about homosexuality from a pentecostal perspective, and particularly the idea to explore “the freedom of the Spirit and sexuality”. I’m currently reading about the sacred feminine which also explores the relationship between spirituality and sexuality, including the Goddess traditions, when sex and spirituality were not cut off from each other as they later became in the more patriarchal religions such as Christianity. I also plan to write a book/s but more along the lines of self acceptance from spiritual and psychological perspectives. I’d love to discuss further with you if you like.

Dreaming of finding a long term and loving relationship is a great thing and echoes the themes of sacred union referenced throughout the bible (albeit termed as bride and bridegroom although you could interpret that as male and female energies). I believe we were made to be in relationship and only a few select people are given the gift of celibacy. And I don’t see why your dreams can’t be fulfilled. I believe God wants us to have the desires of our heart and to live abundantly.

I’m looking forward to hearing more of your journey. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 29, 2010, 20:42

Hi SeekingShalom,

Welcome to freedom2b[e] and thanks for sharing your story. I will echo Ann Maree’s affirmation that you can be at home in your own skin! In my mind, this is one of the greatest pursuits of humankind – to be happy and at peace with oneself. On a philosophical note, this is not something that magically happens, but is sought by each of us individually as we create our own destiny for ourselves. Your dreams and goals sound very worthwhile and are certainly attainable.

I’m reading a book titled The Way Out by Christopher Lee Nutter in which he quotes the philosopher Joseph Campbell who coined the phrase “schizophrenic crack-up” to describe the common perception that gay men align themselves with a certain “gay culture” rather than letting go of all their preconceived ideas about spirituality and God and listen to their own hearts.

My favourite movie (and a true story) is A Beautiful Mind because it demonstrates that we can overcome and conquer our fears and preconceived notions about what it means to be different, see it as a gift instead of a curse, succeed in making a definitive contribution to society, and ultimately make a positive difference to those around us.

We are here to encourage and support you in your journey.

IanJ

Joined in 2009
May 29, 2010, 22:00

Hi SeekingShalom

Thanks for posting- and welcome to Freedom 2 b[e]!!

There are a number of people who contribute to this site who have had experiences such as yours.

I’m not sure if you are from Australia or not? Are you aware of Anthony Venn Brown’s book ‘A life of unlearning’? You’ll find reference to it here.

There are a number of deep thinkers here who can work through issues with you.

I come out in the past year or so, at a similar age to you. It’s not easy- but life is so much better now. I keep finding myself having exciting ‘first time’ experiences- like enjoying wearing something that I wouldn’t have worn before.

We’re here to journey with you! Blessings!

Ian

SeekingShalom

Joined in 2010
May 31, 2010, 16:26

Thank you for your responses and encouragement. I sense that this is a safe, accepting community. Ann Maree, I have found the writings of Jurgen Moltmann helpful to move Christian theology away from the patriarchal image of God into the social, egalitarian concept of the Trinity. My favorite book of his is ‘Trinity and the Kingdom’ but ‘The Spirit of Life’ also has some great sections along these lines. Pierre, I cried after watching, ‘A Beautiful Mind’. I will take a look at Nutter’s book. Ian, my reading of Anthony’s book is what led me to this community–the book is very helpful in its honesty. By the way, I’m located in the USA.

I feel led to share a series of ‘prayer images’ (for lack of a better term) that have accompanied my journey. When I first became aware of being different and perhaps needing to hide something about myself, I subconsciously created what I later referred to as my ‘chaos room’–an inner, psychic ‘space’ in which I could contain the chaotic feelings swirling around inside. After my college years, when I first attempted to probe the questions related to sexuality, it was the place where I could keep the issues safe from my daily life. I would crack open the door, go in and probe, wrestle with God about the deep questions, kick and scream, cry and be depressed, but then leave and shut the door behind me (to keep the chaotic emotions and contradictions at bay and be able to function on a day-to-day basis). I lived with this ‘room’ inside me for years. After several years of unresolved inner conflict, the image of the room began to change. After talking with my sister and some close friends about the issues (some four years ago), I realized that the room was opened up and emptied out. It was as if the swirling chaos had somehow been let loose. The room stayed empty for a long time, like an abandoned warehouse. Then after a time, surprisingly it turned into a landscape nursery. For several weeks, I had the image of Jesus helping me go out and plant trees and shrubs all around the outside and far away, until we had again emptied out the room. After recently talking to my parents, when I try to imagine the room, it is no longer there at all. There is no longer a “chaos room” inside me! What I see is Jesus inviting me to enjoy the shade of the trees and the beauty of the ‘inner landscape’ that we planted together. This gives me a great sense of inner peace and hope.

May the God of peace bless the work that you guys are doing here…

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 31, 2010, 18:20

Hi seekingshalom

That’s such beautiful imagery and so well articulated. Thank you for sharing about your chaos room and landscape nursery. Isn’t it great that everything can be used for the good – that healing things can grow from pain and disorder?

I recall being led through a guided visualisation by my counselling teacher some years ago. We went to an imaginary shop and were permitted to choose one item and leave something we no longer needed behind. I was embarrassed to dump a big bag of decaying rubbish, and during the exercise, found myself hurriedly depositing it at the door and running out. When we shared our experiences afterwards, my teacher kindly said that the pain in my life had been important because it helped shape who I was, adding that the rubbish left would be good fertiliser for the garden and help things grow. This still touches me because I know it to be true and also because he taught me to accept the lesser and more unacceptable sides of myself.

Thank you for the book recommendations. I am not familiar with Moltmann’s work and will look for those titles once I finish my current reading.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 1, 2010, 01:12

seeking shalom…..great user name BTW……so good to have you here with us and that you feel safe…..thats what we want.

its such a journey for us all.

you might not want to identify what country you live in here but if you are in Australia then you might like to know that we have about 10 people here in Australia who are doing specific research around sexuality and christian faith.

its a private group…..so if you are interested in finding our more then feel free to email me.

hope to hear more from you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 21, 2010, 15:38

thanks for you email……..I can put two and two together now…..hehe.

you are soooo welcome.

SeekingShalom

Joined in 2010
January 24, 2011, 13:51

It has been a few months since I have written anything here, so I want to give an update. I attended the Evangelicals Concerned Western Region annual conference in California in July (2010). It was so helpful to meet other gay men and women who are committed Christians and who want to serve God openly. Since then, I have been concentrating on my PhD thesis, which is now completed. I still have the viva (defense) coming up in a couple of months, but the hard work is done. Through that process, I was praying for an opportunity to continue the conversation that I had begun in May (2010) with my parents about my sexual orientation. The very weekend that I finished my thesis, the pastor of my church let loose with some condemning remarks about homosexuality from the pulpit. He had been silent about the issue for several months. So I thought, Wow, here is the opportunity to talk more with my parents (we attend the same church). I told them that I would no longer tolerate being verbally attacked from the pulpit. I am praying for wisdom about the next right thing to do. Should I talk to the pastor about it? Or perhaps simply leave and go to an affirming church? At the least, I was able to assess where my parents are on the issue now–much more affirming than when I first came out to them in May. Also, I gave them a copy of the book, Coming Out As Parents. I am more excited than ever about the future. Although I don’t think that I can stay in my denomination for much longer, God knows the steps that I should take. I appreciate your prayers as I continue on this journey.

I am still…

SeekingShalom

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 24, 2011, 14:56

sounds like good progress seekingshalom

I wondered if your pastor was willing to enter this space

he may never had the opportunity to sit down with a resolved gay Christian man and have a chat.

Your willingness to dialogue and non aggressive approach might open up the way for him to gain some new insights.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.084 seconds.