Forums

Question.

Page:   1 2

mrg

Joined in 2010
May 27, 2012, 23:12

Just given the site a facelift to make it look a bit more appealing. Thanks to everyone that's submitted so far – very encouraging.

Keep 'em coming!

Matt

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 28, 2012, 07:53

Hi Matt

I like your facebook page and think I 'liked' it online. Can you tell me if my 'like' is registered? And if not, can you tell me how to do that. I'm not the best on facebook. I also like the 'Diverse Sexualities and Genders (DSG)' reference as that covers the broadest range of people and seems more open than naming a few sexual orientations such as with LGBTI.

I noticed that you currently have a sample of others' responses. Can I suggest that you list them all? You may be getting to that of course as you've only just set the page up. 🙂 It's just that I enjoyed reading the ones I read but wanted more.

Oh and if you need me to edit or change my response, I'm happy to do so. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

mrg

Joined in 2010
May 28, 2012, 10:22

Yep – the plan is to get most of them up there. Got about 40 so far I think. Three different coutries represented.

I'll keep you posted.

🙂

mrg

Joined in 2010
June 4, 2012, 19:37

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on this project. While I was in Sydney this weekend with the F2B Sydney crew, had the opportunity to spend some time with the National LGBT Health Alliance in Newtown. They're really interested in working together to ensure that the straight helping community is as informed as possible – so please submit your thoughts and get your friends to do the same.

The SX newspaper also interviewed me about the project and it should appear in the paper in the next couple of weeks.

I'm surprised how quickly this has taken off and how much interest there is. But am also hoping that it's a significant step in increasing understanding.

Hope all is well.

Matt

sarab

Joined in 2011
June 24, 2012, 19:13

Hi Matt,

I found it hard to limit my response to "one idea" in the one post – hence I am posting here and not on your page 🙂

I have never been able to stick to rules very well!

What I would like you to know…

Firstly I ask that whatever pre conceived idea you have about lesbian or gay women… that you just for a moment press “the pause button”. Pause for a moment while you get to know me (or the person before you). Just as it would be impossible for someone to get a picture of a person’s beliefs, interests, ideas, struggles, theology, or life experience based on the label “heterosexual”, so too – there is far more to me than the label “gay” or “lesbian”. Please don’t assume you know anything about me based on this label alone.

Perhaps while this “pause button” is activated we might use this space for us to find some commonalities rather than assuming that our difference in sexual orientation presents an unbridgeable chasm.

Perhaps also during this period of “pause” you may be interested to know that I pray regularly, read the scriptures, attend church – that I believe in a doctrine of grace, a God of love, a God of mercy and a God who loves justice…. That I also struggle, have doubts and have questions – not so different from you perhaps?

Finally, I’d like you to know that the very first time I expressed some confusion around my sexuality to a Christian leader in the church – her first words were about her beliefs that men and women were meant to be together and that she had long thought I would “make a great wife for someone” (a man) one day. I want you to know that this was not a helpful response – and that I am among countless other LGBTIQ people who have experienced hurt at the hands of “the church” and Christians. Please go gently with me – those hurts can run deep and can take time to undo.

What has been helpful is finding a church where I have been reminded that I am accepted and loved by God “just as I am” – and that there is a space for me within that community of faith and believers.

Thanks,

Sarab

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 24, 2012, 21:59

Hi Sarab

What a great response! I wish I'd written that one. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.045 seconds.