Forums

Question.

Page:   1 2

mrg

Joined in 2010
May 22, 2012, 11:23

Hi friends,

It's been a turbulent few months, but things are back on track for my family and I. Thanks again for all your support.

Pastoral work in a chruch is off the agenda for me for a while (still some healing to take place for my wife and I), but I'm about to be registered as a professional counsellor and will comtinue my work with the LGBTIQ community in that capacity. It's exciting stuff – and no church boards to deal with!! Woohooo!

Anyway, I've been asked to take a few sessions in different places on working with diverse sexualities and gender. So my question to you is this:

What is it that you wished your straight pastor/counsellor/therapist knew about LGBTIQ issues before helping you?

It's an honour to journey with you!

Matt

Just an update: There's been a big response, so I've set up a page to take responses and I'll see if I can collate them into some sort of web page/book/resource for the straight community that want to join the journey.

Visit the page here: http://www.mattglover.com/WIWLYTK/

And send the link to as many people as you can!

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
May 22, 2012, 17:31

Good question Matt, thanks for asking it. As a straight supporter and a mother of a gay son I'd like to know that too.

God Bless

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 22, 2012, 17:31

Hi Matt

Congratulations!

I wish that straight pastors and workers knew that their job is simply to convey love, and to think hard about how to best demonstrate that. And there needs to be some radical examples to counteract the hatred from other churches and all the homophobia that many of us have encountered before attending their church. It's good to remember too that debates and doctrines don't really matter and just get in the way.

It would also help if churches put explicit messages of welcome to LGBTI people on their websites and documentation so that those in our community looking for an accepting church can attend without going through the agony of having to ask about their position re homosexuality and risk being rejected. And it needs to be spelled out that the church's position is about genuine acceptance, free of agendas that involve trying to change "the sinner".

It would also be good for straight church leaders to talk with accepting pastors like 100 Revs and maybe attend Mardi Gras and march with this group. This might be confronting for some but there's something about walking a mile in others' shoes and going to where the people are at that brings empathy and understanding. Jesus did that much to the disgust of many church leaders but the people who needed love were able to experience this through his example. These types of actions from pastors would bring a tremendous amount of healing to many and moreso than any amount of praying.

Keep up the good work!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
May 22, 2012, 18:15

I wish they would put aside what they think they know and come with an open heart, and a genuine desire to support.

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
May 22, 2012, 18:25

Also, thank you for even asking that question, means a lot 🙂

mrg

Joined in 2010
May 25, 2012, 00:46

I've set up a web page to take responses now: http://www.mattglover.com/WIWLYTK/

Please take a moment to drop by and add your voice!

Matt

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 25, 2012, 09:18

Hi Matt

This is excellent and really inspired.

I've edited my response above and posted at your project page. I've also posted the page link on my faecbook wall. What else can I do to help?

Keep up the great work! 🙂

Ann Maree

Abe

Joined in 2011
May 25, 2012, 22:17

One of the most disappointing thing a pastor said was that he believed homosexuality is a sin and that a gay person should work towards a "change". I think this is absolutely ignorant of current psychological views and no modern psychologists or psychiatrists will subscribe to this type of reparative therapy. I think this type of theology are not only damaging but anti nature and unbiblical. I mean, if God has made you that way and you want to change it, are you saying "God, you made a mistake"? Unfortunately many Christians also think the same way when its really none of their business and how would they know what a gay person is feeling when they haven't been in their shoes?

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
May 26, 2012, 01:03

You are 'spot on', Abe. Like you, our experience has caused us to say, "something is just not right with these traditional biblical interpretations". And investigation has shown that, hey, there are genuine biblical scholars who can say there ARE other interpretations. Sadly, some people just continue to parrot what they were originally taught without any decent investigation and study. They, by omission, choose to stay ignorant. Or just can't bring themselves to admit that they just MIGHT be wrong. Sad, isn't it. And the harm they do is incalculable. But, we now know otherwise and can push past the ignorance and condemnation and find that God's grace is still there for us.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 26, 2012, 11:54

Hi Abe

Welcome to f2b. 🙂

I really like what you posted and think a lot of us can relate.

Christians need to keep an open mind re homosexuality and a range of issues. We know from history that flawed interpretations of the bible have been used to support slavery and inequality for women. And they were wrong with that which suggests that those who oppose homosexuality based on a few scriptures could be wrong with that too. None of us have all the answers but we have been instructed to love each other and treat others as we would like to be treated.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.101 seconds.