Forums

R U OK? Day Thursday 7 October

Page: 1

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
October 2, 2010, 17:22

Thursday 7 October, 2010 is R U OK? Day.

A national day of action that aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone they care about and help stop little problems turning into big ones.

On that day we want everyone across the country, from all backgrounds and walks of life, to ask family, friends and colleagues: “Are you OK?”.

Because staying connected with others is crucial to our general health and wellbeing. Feelings of isolation and being alone are major contributing factors to depression and social issues that can ultimately result in suicide. Regular, meaningful conversations can protect those we know and love.

It’s so simple but in the time it takes to have a coffee, you can start a conversation that could change a life.

Why start a conversation?

Research shows that talking about suicide with someone at risk actually reduces the chance of them taking their own life. It is the one thing we can all do to make a real difference.

Staying connected and ensuring your colleagues, friends and loved ones do so as well is as simple as having regular meaningful conversations. So every day can be R U OK? Day.

http://www.ruokday.com.au

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 2, 2010, 18:51

That’s excellent, Pierre. Thanks for sharing this. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Penny

Joined in 2008
October 3, 2010, 22:47

Yeah love it!!!

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 4, 2010, 20:26

This is a great campaign and one close to my heart as a close friend of my daughter took her own life last Friday night. It highlights to me how important it is to reach out to those around us and have those conversations.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 4, 2010, 21:16

Hi Meg

I’m so sorry to hear that. 🙁

Anything we can do to prevent loss of life and the dreadful isolation that others face is a good thing. It’s amazing that despite all our communication technologies, people are often so disconnected and depressed. Sometimes a simple and honest reaching out to others can enable them to open up and seek the help that’s needed.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.056 seconds.