Forums

Rev Dr Rowland Croucher Freedom 2 b[e] 2010 Award

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 7, 2011, 13:35

Rev Dr Rowland Croucher

Freedom 2 b[e] 2010 Award in recognition of your contribution in creating greater understanding and acceptance of LGBT people in Australia’s Christian Churches

In 2008 this award was presented to the Rev Mike Hercock and the 100 Revs who were a group of 100 ministers who signed an apology and marched in the Mardi Gras parade to say sorry to the LGBT community for the way the church had treated them.

In 2009 this award was presented to Pastor Rob Buckingham and Bayside church in Melbourne. Pastor Rob preached a sermon called ‘Real Christianity is Accepting’ where he debunked the traditional view of the Sodom and Gomorrah story, many myths about gay and lesbian people and welcome LGBT people into his church family. Bayside Church is the first mega-Pentecostal church in the world to officially do this.

This year the award goes to the Rev Dr Rowland Croucher who is a highly respected Christian Leader. He is well known for many things including formerly pastoring the largest Baptist Church in Australia, working for World Vision and currently his website John Mark Ministries.

John Mark Ministries is most accessed non-denominational religious website in Australia as well as one of the top 1000 Christian and Baptist websites in the world.

Rowland began his journey of gaining new understandings of LGBT people after counselling many who came to him to talk through their issues – often younger people sent by their parents and/or pastors – and…. after his connections with Freedom 2 b[e] offered to become our Chaplain.

Through articles on his website and postings on his facebook he has been able to reach 1,000’s of people with information, new perspectives and raising important questions about LGBT issues and our community. His willingness to speak in support and requesting change in beliefs and attitudes has not come without its cost.

When heterosexual Christians stand with the LGBT community they often experience hostility, vilification, judgment and personal attack. By standing with us they experience something that is an everyday experience for many gay and lesbian people both here in Australia and many parts of the world. This is often more so for those in leadership positions.

So in gratefulness we give this award to Rowland in recognition of his contribution in creating greater understanding and acceptance of LGBT people in Australia’s Christian Churches.

************************************************************************************

Rowland’s response:

Friends, it is an honour for me to receive this award: I like Freedom 2 b[e], I like Anthony, and I have a special friendship with many LGBT people.

However, although I am a pastoral counsellor, and listen to many LGBT people tell their stories, I have a lot to learn. Feel free to educate me – especially if you come across any significant articles or stories which could go on to our John Mark Ministries website.

Yes, it has been an interesting journey: I’ve had several invitations (to conservative denominations and churches) ‘pulled’ after someone checked my website and saw those pro-gay articles by Walter Wink, Keith Dyer, Anthony and many others – or heard rumours that I’m gay-friendly. My response to all that is quite simple: align me with Jesus’ attitude any day, against that of the Pharisees!

Sorry I can’t be with you all tonight: I shall be thinking of you and praying for you!

Christian love

Rowland Croucher

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 7, 2011, 15:20

Awesome awesome thankyou Pastor 🙂 am hoping the pharisees will lessen over time…..

SylviaP

Joined in 2010
May 7, 2011, 21:17

Congratulations Rowland 🙂

I’ve found your site quite useful in helping me gain more insight of LGBT issues concerning scripture.

My Dad recommend JMM after hearing you speak at a Clovercrest Baptist men’s function.

I was quite surprised to find pro-gay articles on a Christian web site.

I appreciate you saying:

“… I have a lot to learn. Feel free to educate me…”

Good job Freedom 2 b[e] for recognising Rowland’s input with an award. 🙂

davidt

Joined in 2009
May 15, 2011, 22:39

Congratulations. Very well deserved. “I thank my God every time I remember you” – Phil 1:3

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.054 seconds.