Forums

searching

Page:   1 2

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
April 17, 2013, 22:15

Hi Jman,

As I mentioned in my email we have meetings in Brisbane every 2nd of Friday of the month at the QAHC building at 7pm. Our next meeting is about how to have a difficult conversation with someone. It'd be awesome to see you there. You can participate as much or as little as you like. 🙂

There are a lot of people in a similar position to your own. I know when I first connected to people from the same background it was pretty amazing. A lot like finding my "clan." There are plenty of people in the same boat and even around our age in the expanded network throughout Brisbane. We can also point you in the direction of some friendlier churches or other resources depending on what you are after right now.

As you can see there's an awesome group of people on the forum as well. I hope you find what you are after.

jman

Joined in 2013
April 17, 2013, 23:34

Again, I'd just like to say I'm overwhelmed with the response on this forum in just 24 hours. I thought it might take weeks..

I'm keen to meet some of you at the next meeting.

I have a lot of questions/fears – especially about being out etc.

Thanks guys

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
April 20, 2013, 19:21

Hi Jman,

Just thought I'd chime in. Welcome to the forums! I'm also 25 and a gay Christian. I just moved to Brisbane last week so I'm planning to go to the next f2b meeting too. Hope to see you there 🙂

Rohan

davidt

Joined in 2009
April 20, 2013, 19:38

Hi Rohan

Welcome to Brisbane. You would be very welcome. We look forward to meeting you.

In Him

David

jman

Joined in 2013
April 20, 2013, 21:15

Hi Rohan

I'm glad I won't be the only newbie. Welcome back to Bris.

Nice blog btw.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
April 30, 2013, 21:21

Hi Jman and Rohan,

You can find details about the next Brisbane meeting here:

http://www.freedom2b.org/rsvpmaker/freedom2b-brisbane-may-meeting-we-need-to-talk/

It would be awesome to see you both there. 🙂

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
April 30, 2013, 22:29

Thanks for the info, Adam! I'll see you on the 10th.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
May 2, 2013, 11:22

Hey JMAN

welcome to the site

Im a little bit (ok – a few decades) older than you – so some of what I say may not resonate but I hope something if what Im about to comment might be useful.

We all have our own journey, and each Journey is unique.

I cant say whats ahead on your Journey – but I can give you some reflections about mine (so far)

Things that once seemed insurmountable mountains – like coming out to my family (who were VERY religious – to the point of even burning school books they didnt agree with) and church friends often in hindsight turned out to be much larger in my mind than they were in reality.

And whilst I wont say I didnt lose friends when I came out as gay to them – certainly there were a number that drifted a way from me….. i made new friends – who accepted me for who I am and I prefer that. And some of them – took a little while but now decades later – we are still firm friends. Others I havent seen in years but I have new friends. Im out at work too (and have been for that last 4 or 5 jobs now – including overseas Jobs). again – took me a long time to reach that point – but I have reached the point where im comfortable being me… and I dont hide it now…. ( well – maybe at 2 am in a rough area I might NOT hold hands with my BF in the street but …. – Joke )

For my family there were a tough few years – but now my partner goes down and visits my Dad without me and they get along just fine. My Dad even proff read his PhD thesis for him. That doesnt always happen of course – but it can…..

So my point is in many cases – people feel the time is right (and theres NO need to rush on this – it took me years to do this myself) and they stop hiding – and they lose friends but they gain friends as well and those friends like them for who they really are – and thats a great thing !…..

In the meantime – as has been said in other posts – attending Freedom2B meetings in brisbane would be worth a go.

Also – if you are missing church – I would suggest looking for an affirming church….. I moved away from Brisbane (I travel a lot for my work) a number of years ago) but MCC was a nice church when I was there http://mccbris.asn.au/

Of course – you need to find a church thats right for you. There were some other churches that people were going to – that were welcoming if not affirming – so you can ask around.

Another one – and definately not everyone's cup of tea but will provide fellowship, acceptance and some interesting discussion – is BUUF http://www.brisbaneuu.org.au/. (If you go – send me a message and Ill give you the name of someone to say hi to there)

There may well be others around now as well so ask around ….

Dont forget the resources section here and theres a discussion section in the forum if you want discussion on specific points (sometimes its worth browsing through – as lots of things have been discussed also) …

also IM sure plenty of people have responded but feel free to message me if u want to discuss anything particularly.

DavidLG
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
May 24, 2013, 13:35

Hi Jman

I understand your journey well, its difficult but things get better. As one who went through ex gay counselling the whole process of not being able to cure myself and the isolation and loneliness left me me feeling suicidal.

But God loves you just as you are, press through.

They are a great bunch up at Brisbane Freedom 2 b , Im sure you will find some good friends there and help finding a accccepting church.

Hang in there bro, you are not alone in the journey. God bless

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.101 seconds.