Forums

Sombre question

Page:   1 2

orfeo

Joined in 2007
January 12, 2009, 12:53

I think I once read somewhere about reasons why its bad to be gay or something, and the high suicide rate of gay teens was listed as one. And I was like… 😯 Are these people serious? WAKE UP PEOPLE. The high suicide rate in gay teens is YOUR fault because you are the ones who are fostering a sense of self-hatred within these people with your lack of acceptance. Again – obvious to me. I can’t understand how someone can know that the suicide rate for gay teens is so high and then think that the answer to that would be self-rejection. How people think self-rejection is going to help lower the suicide rate is beyond me. ❓ ❓ ❓

Yup. Amazing isn’t it? Things like that “21 reasons why gender matters” pamphlet use the poor mental health of GLBT as evidence that homosexuality is a mental disorder.

And I’m always thinking, “we have poor mental health for the same reason that any group in society – ethnic minorities for example – have poor mental health, because being treated like crap does that to you!!”

JR

Joined in 2008
January 12, 2009, 19:16

Hahaha – are you serious??? It actually says that??!! Oi… I don’t know what’s worse – that they think this is the case and have convinced themselves of it, or that others read it and believe it to be so… Mr T had it right – I pity the fool…

Lately I’ve kinda resolved that most people with any amount of common sense and social skill are accepting and unfussed by the gay thing, even at church. Am I wrong to think this??? I know there are some crazies out there, but do people really believe that type of propaganda? Sounds like you kids need to move to Queensland for some unconditional acceptance 😀 I kid, I kid.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 13, 2009, 14:50

Evangelical christian literature is full of false representation, sensationalism and fear mongering.

its common for them to list the challenges we have within our community quoting stats….(sometimes incredibly outdated ones as well) suicide, substance abuse, STD’s etc…..and come to conclusion that it is the homosexuality that causes these things.

Its an incredibly shallow understanding…..once again caused by them never getting close enough to know us as people or understand the reasons why these things are at higher rates. They are certainly not exclusively homosexual problems…..it goes on in the heterosexual world all the time.

When I’ve read those christian books. (I bought 6 of them when Koorong banned my book)……the verse that kept coming to me was….’don’t lie….don’t bear false witness against your neighbour’ …….which of course these publications were full of. God forgive their ignorance.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.053 seconds.