Forums

Sombre question

Page:   1 2

nicky-jay

Joined in 2008
January 6, 2009, 01:16

Happy New Year people!!!!

I was just browsing the topics (as you do!) and was enjoying Ben’s link to his blog entry and then, I guess in thinking about my own story – started to consider the long-term effects of some of the things we’ve all been through.

I guess whatever stage we’re currently at: single, in a relationship, previously married, A side B side (or whatever the latest weird and wonderful terminology is) – the depths of hopelessness that many of us have experienced – to the point of suicide contemplation and attempts – what does this do to us on a deeper existential (perhaps spiritual) level?

So that’s my question. Has anyone else considered this? Is there some deep spiritual “thingy” (being deliberately inarticulate just to lighten the subject) that gets triggered at the point of such despair? Can we ever fully and completely recover from that or are there long-term reverberations that follow us through life?

Personally, I can say that the journey to acceptance (which is taking longer than I imagined!) has enabled me to finally increasingly experience true happiness/contentment/joy and no longer see these things as myths. But I do wonder whether past flirtations with seeking to bring an end to ones existence (ie suicide attempts) could/will remain a dark shadow throughout an entire life, given the fact that suicide is so diametrically opposed to our human instinct for self preservation/or our God given desire for eternity?? Wha’dya think?

Nic

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 6, 2009, 10:52

That’s a great question nicky-jay, and one which I and I’m sure many others on the forum here would have contemplated at some point in their lives. It’s often been said that sometimes we have to hit “rock-bottom” to realise that we can’t do it alone.

For some this triggers a call to a higher power, being, force etc. For me, because of my hurtful experiences with religion, this wasn’t really an option. I actually put my Christian beliefs on hold for a while. It’s only recently that I’ve started to open up again to the wider spiritual areas of healing, peace and love without necessarily and exclusively defining these as Christian traits.

I believe we all have the right to ask for help when we need it, particularly in the dark times when things are bleak and we don’t know who to turn to.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
January 6, 2009, 11:02

Ah well this is ummm…. deep 😆

I’m not a fan of spiritualism or spiritual thingy’s on principal so I hope you don’t mind if I answer if from a psychological perspective insted.

I’m no expert on suicide or hopelessness but I imagine it would take something huge to produce such feelings. Such a circumstance is not easily resolved emotionally. Even when the physical manifestations of the inner tourmiol (i.e. you finally home away from home and away from abuse) it doesn’t mean they heal emotionally within the same timeframe. It could take years for such things to heal or perhaps even never if the individual doesn’t prod the process along or is resistant. Maybe the deep pain still felt either as a low hum constantly or as sharp flash backs is what you are talking about.

On a more philospohical level which may be more what you are getting at is, as you mentioned the complete anti-Darwinistic nature of suicide. It’s a hard thing to wrap your mind around sometimes… that you would take your own life even if you are completly healed from the event. Suicide is some would say essentially murder of yourself… which is why the Catholics dub it a very grave sin so it also takes some reckoning that we would be capable of that kind of thing. I am certian that I don’t have it in me to kill another person, nor have I ever thought seriously about it. But is killing myself not the same thing essentially or is it somehow justified because I “own” my own life and I make that choice? Just some more things to add to the pot 😀

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
January 6, 2009, 13:22

Having been so low in spirit that I wanted to end my life on at least, two occasions, I can answer this from how I have resolved it for myself.

I am an adherent to the belief that everything that happens to us, happens for a purpose. That doesn’t mean that there is a reason, though. Purpose and reason are two different things IMO.

So, leaving the reason why things happen aside, I will just focus on purpose. Generally, the purpose behind most things that happen to us is to teach us something, or to equip us with tools for dealing with something. It is also to equip us with the compassion and empathy to help someone else to deal with the same thing.

I find confirmation of this in the Scriptures where it says:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, a gentle Father and the God of all consolation, who comforts us in all our sorrows so that we can offer others, in their sorrows, the consolation that we have received from God ourselves. Indeed, as the sufferings of Christ overflow to us, so, through Christ, does our consolation overflow. When we are made to suffer, it is for your consolation and salvation. When, instead, we are comforted, this should be a consolation to you, supporting you in bearing the same suffering as we bear. And our hope for you is confident, since we know that sharing our sufferings, you will also share our consolations. 2 Cor 1:2-7

So, I believe that when we go through these painful times, it is to equip us to deal with pain, and to receive that which will enable us to understand and give comfort when someone else is going through the same thing.

Pain is a part of life, and I personally do not believe God/Spirit/Universe would consign anyone to punishment over actions they considered, or even took whilst in pain.

I have forgiven myself for the thoughts of suicide, and resolved to use my former pain to comfort others.

I hope this helps to answer your query, Nic. It was a really good question!

Penny

Joined in 2008
January 6, 2009, 19:37

Hey Nic

Great post, very open & vulnerable of you to ask it 🙂

I, like many who struggled with how their Sexuality & Christianity fits hit some very low points.

Through 5 years of ex-gay work (with no success), i became suicidal & very depressed. I felt so isolated & distant from God, myself & everyone in my life.

When i finally made the decision to stop repressing my sexuality & look at how i might accept who i was it changed my life drastically.

I did struggle with my self esteem initially, as i worked through the biblical and theological issues of non-heteromormative life. BUT, after about a year things started to really shift for me.

My partner & i have been together for eight & a half years, we have a 2 and a half year old son. We own a house in the mountains, have a mixed group of really fabulous friends in our lives & great families.

I am more secure in my faith than i have ever been & feel (for the most part) strongly connected to Christ. I am also in the last 6 months of my Bachelor of theology & internship to become ordained (hopefully).

Anyhow, life is truly BRILLIANT!!! Not to say it isn’t hard or stressful at times, but overall, things are wonderful.

I do honestly believe that we can all live fulfilling lives.

I also believe that for some, mental health issues will always be something they will have to deal with no matter what their experiences, sexuality or gender (straight, queer, trans etc). Getting as much support as possible, seeing a therapist, gp, etc, are all very useful & valuable tools to assist us in being as well as we all can possibly be.

Also, if we are spiritually inclined, the process of prayer & growth in our relationship with Christ (or what ever your thang is) is integral to breakthrough and health.

I think that our past always marks us, gives us scar’s and changes us forever. But, i also believe & hope that we all can move beyond our pasts & into a future that aknowleges our past, but also lives in the joy of now and future.

Ok, so thats enough blabbing on for me & saying my thoughts 🙂

nicky-jay

Joined in 2008
January 7, 2009, 04:04

Hi all

Thanks for indulging me in my single deep thought for the week. In many ways I’m inclined to agree with all your very different takes on this. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy – your point on ‘murder’ hit quite hard. Very interesting angle, which I hadn’t considered before!

Generally speaking – I know there is little point in the woe is me speech, but goodness me (!!!)…. it is awful (to say the least) how, essentially, the cruelty of others can cause such pain which has the even sinister effect of keeping us (temporarily or permanently) from being effective in the world, using our unique gifts and relieving the pain of others! Hmmm.

Well…. let the healing ever continue!;-)

frogger

Joined in 2005
January 7, 2009, 09:00

As someone who has got to this place in the last year. Last Easter to be quite precise. I will answer it from then, until now. At the time, I did not believe in a christian God. I believed in a greater being or pantheistic point of God.

I was ready to die and the thing that stopped me was God. God said to me “Jannah, stop!” then he told me to be patient and wait for two dates, both of which came to pass very accurately, and were entirely outside of my control. Anyway, that process of being in that place actually had a positive impact on my life. For me, it was never about self loathing ikn that sense. It was more about life just not being worth it, and I had struggled with that concept for my life till that point. What was the point?

I don’t agree with that now. From a spiritual perspective all it did was make me vulnerable enough to hear God, and vulnerable to listen. I now have an amazing relationship with God, where I am blessed in some way almost daily. I don’t have any doubts about life, even in the bad and sad times. God and I talk daily and in a very real, non religious way. Sometimes, i swear, sometimes, im angry, sometimes, im confused. But, the thing for me is, it is so real and just us.

So, in essence, in answer to your question, I think it is entirely circumstantial. How you end up continuing your llife, where your spiritual life is at, what you feel about yourself. I think it can have a deep spiritual effect (leave a mark), based on your response to it.

If I think about that time, it brings sadness, it brings back the hurt, but not on the same level, not in a sense that it is now. Just in a sense, of rememberance… an Ah yes! that hurt way too much, and Im sad for that place Jannah was in… but not in a way where it is still present hurt…

These past few weeks, I’ve been able to utilise those feelings and understand someone else a little better, be more patient, and grieve with them, not just sit with them whilst they grieve, really share and hold them in a very understanding way. I think, in that sense, it has helped me in ministry to better serve others. And, also as a human being…

they’re my thoughts, in a ramble, but my thoughts.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 8, 2009, 23:08

Personally, I can say that the journey to acceptance (which is taking longer than I imagined!) has enabled me to finally increasingly experience true happiness/contentment/joy and no longer see these things as myths. Nic

Just to encourage you Nicky-Jay….(I hope 😆 )….i spent 22 years rejecting myself. When I came out nothing was really resolved….not really my faith or my sexuality for another 6 years.

There were numerous times I felt so hopeless and in despair that I really wanted my life to be over. In those times I’d pray for an accident to happen. There was one attempt and two other close calls. One of those was the night before the confession. http://gayambassador.blogspot.com/2008/06/chapter-1-confession-pentecostal.html

We know that statistically gay and lesbian youth are more likely to suicide than heterosexual youth.

I have a theory though……I believe that is actually much higher for those who come from strong Christian backgrounds. The reason being is that the internal dissonance is much greater. For the non Christian gay or lesbian the issue is sexuality. For those who are Christian the issue is sexuality + eternity + rejection by your entire social network + Christian family (if you come from one like Ben, jannah and getting there).

working in this area now for nearly 8 years I think I’d have to say that the majority of committed christians who are gay or lesbian have at some time seriously considered ending there lives. Of course we will never really know the toll.

thats why its so important for us to share our stories of hope, resolution and fulfillment……whether we are christian or non christian gays and lesbians.

the closet is a trap…..that keeps people snared into believing dark things about themselves.

nicky-jay

Joined in 2008
January 10, 2009, 01:50

…so true! Thanks Anthony.

Yes, for me it’s the usual story of christian family (pastor’s child in my case)/pentecostal background and yes, in all honesty, it was that balance of fulfilling expectations and fearing eternity that almost sent me over the edge (literally).

Every time I log on to this forum I’m still absolutely blown away by the fact that this story is shared by so many others. Amazing and so very encouraging!

Well, glad to do my bit to keep the closet open. 🙂

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
January 10, 2009, 14:19

Yes, for me it’s the usual story of christian family (pastor’s child in my case)/pentecostal background and yes, in all honesty, it was that balance of fulfilling expectations and fearing eternity that almost sent me over the edge (literally).

You’re a pastor’s kid? I didn’t know that. I’m a missionary kid. We should have a lot in common then. And yes, believe me, being a kid of a minister makes it so much more difficult because coming out can actually destroy your parents’ ministry. Being a minister’s kid in just normal circumstances can be difficult, but being a gay minister’s kid, well, that’s just craziness. 😛

And AVB – totally agree with you (I seem to do that fairly often, don’t I?) lol. I totally agree that internal dissonance is much more difficult to handle for Christians. But even then if you do come to a place of acceptance, Christians still have to deal with the aftermath where they are often stuck in a disapproving social circle and those people can cause someone who does accept him or herself to reject him/herself again. I did this once actually and sometimes life can be rough and I think maybe if I just denied everything (went back in the closet) life would be so much easier, but I’m constantly reminding myself that I don’t want to go down that road again and ultimately accepting myself will be the very best choice.

As for suicide – sometimes I’m shocked at the fact that Christians do not realize how they are driving gay people to suicide. Because to me, it’s obvious. But then again, to me many things related to gay issues are ‘obvious’. I can remember multiple times wanting to commit suicide/disappear, but I can’t remember ever coming close to actually doing a suicide attempt. Let’s not forget though – suicide is not the only bad choice internal dissonance causes gay Christians or gay people from Christian backgrounds to make. Let’s not forget about running away or total rebellion or addictions motivitated by hatred of the self.

I think I once read somewhere about reasons why its bad to be gay or something, and the high suicide rate of gay teens was listed as one. And I was like… 😯 Are these people serious? WAKE UP PEOPLE. The high suicide rate in gay teens is YOUR fault because you are the ones who are fostering a sense of self-hatred within these people with your lack of acceptance. Again – obvious to me. I can’t understand how someone can know that the suicide rate for gay teens is so high and then think that the answer to that would be self-rejection. How people think self-rejection is going to help lower the suicide rate is beyond me. ❓ ❓ ❓

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.104 seconds.