Forums

SSAY Chrisitan Study in Melbourne? (Basically a bible study without calling it a bible study lol)

Page: 1

May 21, 2010, 11:35

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone would like to begin a Youth Christian (aka Bible) study in Melbourne? I am thinking for same-sex attracted young people (ie. 20s and under).

I would be willing to help facilitate – but i am just wondering if there would be many people interested?

It would be a wonderful way to share stories and our ideas with one another – including resources that have helped us all through our journey.

Luke

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 21, 2010, 21:52

Hi Luke,

Welcome to freedom2b[e]. Would you like to share your story in the “Telling Our Stories” section of our forum?

People might be more inclined to contact you if they know a bit about your journey 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 22, 2010, 13:04

good point Pierre……….it certainly helps create a safe space……as people are often apprehensive about connecting………even here in the forum posting a message can be too much for some people…..they would rather read……750 people are registered users……but only a small number post.

Also the demographic you are reaching out to Luke might not know what SSAY is……is community/academic lingo……and many who come here are not connected to the community but are in churches or have left……and also dont have an academic background.

My suggestion would be that you change the title of the post to gay, lesbian, bi and questioning

what do you think?

May 22, 2010, 15:05

Lol you guys got a head of where I was a little…..my question was “would anyone like to begin”

it was not a call for people to join but for someone who would like to start one or

perhaps help me to start one 🙂

Appoligies for the academic talk Anthony…the audience I was adressing I would think

would know the meaning.

As for my story? Hahahaahha oh you would either fall asleep or have nightmares!

Perhaps it is here already under a pseudonim?

(sent via iPhone)

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 22, 2010, 16:41

Thanks Luke,

I know you will appreciate our concerns about safety as we occasionally have unsolicited posts by people wanting to start a bible study group in their locality … a bit sus and/or dodgy in my opinion … especially when the person posting is not known to us …

I promise I won’t fall asleep or have nightmares reading your story! After recent LGBT news events, nothing really surprises me anymore hehe …

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 23, 2010, 13:41

Lol you guys got a head of where I was a little…..my question was “would anyone like to begin”

it was not a call for people to join but for someone who would like to start one or

perhaps help me to start one 🙂

Appoligies for the academic talk Anthony…the audience I was adressing I would think

would know the meaning.

As for my story? Hahahaahha oh you would either fall asleep or have nightmares!

Perhaps it is here already under a pseudonim?

(sent via iPhone)

I guess the terminology is something I’m quite sensitive about Luke because of the work I do with people who have gone through ex-gay programs. Ex-gay ministries always use the term same sex attraction. Eg “we help people with unwanted same sex attraction….those struggling with their same sex attraction”

The purposely do not use words or terms like same sex orientation, gay, lesbian…..as these are more fundamental and accepting of an identity……something the ex-gay world resists vigorously. For the demographic we work with here…..they have possibly only heard the term same sex attracted within the ex-gay context……that is why I raised here.

Re your story putting us asleep……..the guidleines for posting ensure that doesn’t happen….. 😀

http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/6

1000 words is a good overview…..and you’ll see that some of those original stories now have over 100 replies so other parts of the story come out as people ask questions and advice. 🙂

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.059 seconds.