Forums

Stats - Need a Reference

Page:   1 2

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 1, 2008, 10:55

Maggie and I both went to ‘good’ girls schools so maybe that has something to do with the prevalence of history courses, much better than math at any rate. I almost didn’t get into medicine because my math was so bad I had to take summer school, never again.

Well… technically my ideas about citation don’t make it improper per se. 😉 If you still cite them in the agreed format with all the relevant information and accurate quotations and paraphrasing no one would be able to tell if you have actually read all the books or not. I get away with it all the time at uni, with all the anti-plagiarism software we have to put it through before we can submit any assignment.

Anyway, don’t listen to me, you be a good student and do it the right way, I’m a bad influence.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 1, 2008, 14:55

Gosh the Principal at my school was a Nun with a wonky eye, we were scared of her and she had done Uni too…….a very smart Nun is very frightening 😯 we HAD to write what she was expecting to read in her classes, otherwise it was an “F” for flogging 😆

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 1, 2008, 22:16

LOL the principal at my school was actually pretty cool. I got to know her pretty well since I was sent to her office so often for letting down the tires of teachers cars, putting flour on the ceiling fans and getting caught in… ah compromising positions while ‘studying’ in the library 😆 She used to roll her eyes whenever she saw me coming and had that “what have you done now” look that my mother is so good at.

The concept that benieth all the plaid catholic school girls are badder than public school girls probably has some merit. Our skirts are just longer… from 9-3 anyway.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 1, 2008, 22:29

me…..I’m not an academic….citations etc etc etc I find quite distracting. My next book will take that type of info and write in accessible terms for the average person to comprehend……..without all that stuff of recognizing sources etc.

I wonder if I can get away with it.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 2, 2008, 13:48

You could get away with what the authors of “Born Gay” did (sorry I can’t recall their names offhand) which is to present the info for the ‘avrage reader’ but reciognise the sources in footnotes or endnotes which don’t interfere with the flow of the text. It means the same amount of work for you but easier on the reader. Unfortunalty if you don’t cite any sources its classified as plagarism because no one would be able to tell if they are your ideas or those of some high ranked psychologist. Also, while the book may be a gold-mine for the target audience it couldn’t be used in any academic studies at universities or bible colleges, even for assignments because they are seen as ‘unreliable’ when not sourced, the same reason websites are a no-no.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 2, 2008, 14:39

yeah Sandy…..i think my intention is to always write for the ‘average’ reader. I often used to do research when i was in the ministry then regurgitate it so that others could comprehend.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 3, 2008, 17:28

Sounds like a great idea to me, the easier to understand it is the more people who are likely to read it, or better yet, actually understand it. I guess the crisis then becomes the does simplicity always have to be at the expense of depth and critical analysis?

😆 sorry getting side tracked. I need to stop studying and start working or my brain goes around in endless circles like this.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 3, 2008, 23:26

I must say I’ve become increasingly appreciative of academics in the last 4 years……of their minds and the devotion to know and understand more……its the communication of those things that sometimes is my blockage……. 😀

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 4, 2008, 11:10

Unless you happen to have written the paper yourself I think communication is a problem for all of us. I am eternally grateful to all those authors who write ‘dumbed down’ versions of classic works like ‘Human sexuality’ by Masters and Johnson which in its original form reads like a medical journal and I understand about three words.

But without academics, however painful the expression, we wouldn’t have all this wonderful depth of knowledge that we do on so many topics. Someone has got to do it, we are just lucky the lot didn’t fall to us. 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 4, 2008, 11:37

Crikey blimey charlie…….Id be in a santarium if it had fallen to me, I get all frazzled if I have to go indepth about my own address 😯 😆

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.046 seconds.