Forums

Straight marriage

Page:   1 2

orfeo

Joined in 2007
May 19, 2009, 17:21

…anyone find it hard to handle?

Hehe. I know I’ve started this in a crazy way, but with a serious purpose.

I went to a wedding on Saturday. It was the first one I’d been to for a while, I think it was the first one since I ‘came out’.

And I found it really tough. I was mentally editing the words of the service… have to change that bit, have to DELETE that bit, etc.

It probably didn’t help that this was people from my old church that I left last year (although the wedding was held in a different church building with a more ‘traditional’ look). There were quite a few people I hadn’t seen for 10-11 months, including the Minister that I fell out with. He didn’t say a single word to me either at the church or the reception, and I didn’t say a single word to him either. I had a bit of discussion ABOUT him, either with others who have left that church or who are hanging on a bit grimly.

I thought I got through the experience alright, and quite enjoyed myself, but then I collapsed into a bout of depression on Sunday and Monday.

I know that single people generally can find weddings hard going, but… to sit there and be so conscious of feeling excluded from this ritual… it was really challenging.

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
May 19, 2009, 17:48

I used to get depressed from weddings and avoid them at all costs.

However, in truth, all it takes is a brother or sister in Christ to officiate (with or without church involvement), and the ritual is available to GLBT folk in Australia – irrespective of legalities. This is what my partner and I are doing in 2 weeks. Interestingly, our family and friends are really disappointed that we’re not having a reception or inviting people, and they would be there with bells on if we did a traditional style marriage.

So it is really only the fact that the minister won’t be officiating on behalf of a given denominational church, but on behalf of the broader Church. Oh – and it’s pretty hard to have the service in a church itself (we’re having ours at home). But you know what, I don’t think you need to be depressed Orfeo. You can still join yourself in Holy Union with a same sex partner in the eyes of God. And it won’t be long before the whole ritual is available to all of us anyway – hooray – a chance to renew the vows!

orfeo

Joined in 2007
May 19, 2009, 18:06

Well, you say ‘irrespective of the legalities’ but that’s a pretty big whopping part of the whole deal.

It’s actually illegal to have something that looks like a wedding but isn’t. Of course, you’re probably safe because everyone KNOWS that two guys can’t possibly get married. 😕

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 19, 2009, 19:32

So it doesn’t look like a wedding if two guys do it? Maybe one of you should go in drag, would that be illegal? 😆 😆 Sorry…probably not the time for bad jokes.

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
May 19, 2009, 19:47

Hey Orfeo

My take on it is that we have equal rights as same sex de-factos under recent federal government amendments – so whether or not the “marriage” is a marriage, or evidence of an equally legally enfranchised de facto relationship, is for me a matter of semantics not substance. Now I don’t mean to try to lift you out of your depression by being upbeat (lol) – that’s just how I see it.

What illegality are you referring to in relation to something “looking” like a marriage? Is that specific to the ACT civil unions legislation which was recently passed, or are you referring to the Marriage Act? What is the maximum penalty for this offence?

Now – as for bad jokes – this is DEFINITELY the time. A little drag number at the altar could do wonders for the health of a marriage.

Peace and love

Pent.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
May 20, 2009, 00:48

You’re right – it IS all about semantics. And symbolism. But the symbolism’s not lost on me.

There’s a few offences in the Marriage Act. Section 100 is probably the one I was thinking of. $500 or 6 months imprisonment for the person purporting to solemnize a void marriage. Or section 103 if you’re duping your partner into believing they’re getting married to you.

Under the federal government amendments, you ARE a de facto couple. I suppose a ceremony bolsters you on a couple of the factors in section 22C of the Acts Interpretation Act…

😉

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
May 20, 2009, 07:56

Thanks Orfeo

Interesting on the marriage act offences. Obviously there is a need to protect people against those fraudulently purporting to participate in or be qualified to solemnise a marriage. But it’s good to see that those provisions are not going to apply to my partner and I having a cermeony we call a marriage, where all involved know it is not legally a marriage.

Other than that, I guess I’m the glass half full kind of guy. We can be joined in holy union before God, in a cermeony that helps define our legal relationship under state legislation, which relationship receives effective legal equality in all material respects under federal law. I see this as a “lateral thinking” victory – in that we have everything except the privilege to call what we have the same thing as what the straight people are allowed to call it.

But ultimately – yes indeed, it would be nice if there were none of these artificial and at times hurtful distinctions.

Interestingly enough, you are even more fortunate in the ACT than we are in Qld in terms of having a civil relationship register (and how disappointing the federal government struck down full marriage bill proposed by the ACT government …)

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 20, 2009, 08:14

When you have the knowledge of those Laws Orfeo, Im not surprised it would put a bee in your bonnet, Id never known about those 😯

Im like Pentatropics, my glass is half full, at least we have come as far as we have being accepted as defacto and my loved ones will at least recognise that even if legally on paper we arent “seen” as married, we “know” in everyway we are in ourselves but it doesnt mean we give up the fight, one day we too can put it on the wall as legal. 8)

Hmmm!!!! pretending to be the other gender for a day 😯 dont you think the Priest will wonder why the brides hands are hairy? or if its a Bear man, why the facial hair? 😯 then again if its done in a greek orthadox church no-one would be the wiser 😉

(no offence intended to any greeks 🙁 😳

orfeo

Joined in 2007
May 20, 2009, 10:40

I think what gets me to the knowledge that there are people out there who would still see a same-sex couple as not ‘really’ a couple.

Sitting through a marriage service involves being reminded repeatedly that marriage is the union of a man and woman. It’s said several times, or at least it was in this service.

But yes I’m also pretty greedy. To me, as a Christian and a lawyer, marriage is both religious and legal. And I want it all! When I find Mr. Right I want the right to stand in a church and make vows to him, and to sign the certificate.

And when they get to the “if anyone knows any reason why these two can not be lawfully joined together”, and some jerk up the back yells something about his understanding of Leviticus, I want to wave a copy of the new, modified Marriage Act at him and say “THAT’S the law”. 😯 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 20, 2009, 11:38

LOL……..love the legalist in you 😉 but yes what a feeling to sign that certificate one day 😀

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.044 seconds.