Forums

Stuck between denial and self acceptance

Page:   1 2

r.j.lee90

Joined in 2010
April 26, 2010, 19:40

Hello 🙂

Well, i was going around different LGBT christian related websites and i stumbled upon this site. Thought that i might start by introducing myself and telling my story.

I’m currently an international student in the University of Newcastle, in my second year of B. Architecture. I’m from Malaysia but have a Chinese background.

So… basically, i became a christian at the end of 2005. Dad’s a born Catholic, mom’s a Buddhist. Dad stop going to church when he was 12 and mom’s a buddhist till the extent of what her mom tells her to do. haha a nice mixture of religion huh! i have 3 siblings, one free thinking/atheist bro n 2 younger sisters who are very keen to learn about christianity 🙂 praise God!

i never really “found out” i was a lesbian. it was more like i grew up never really having any sort of attraction for guys. at all. of course i faked it to seem normal to my friends, but it gets tiring, it gets exhausting. feeling as though you just wanna burst out confessing who you really are!!

but being a malaysian and being from a chinese background, it’s a huge no-no to be anything sort of “abnormal”. malaysia is a muslim country and is ruled by a malay government. if you’re malay in malaysia, you’re automatically a muslim. haha it’s complicated… i know! but yeah, that’s how it is. so homosexuality is banned. if caught, you’ll basically be sent to prison + other consequence.

being from a chinese background family, we have to sort of “protect” the name of our family, being a lesbian wont help much in doing that! so, again with the pressure! every time there’s a family gathering, all my relatives will be saying things like “you better hurry and find a good boy, when you get old, all the good ones will be taken!” or “such a nice young lady like you, you’re still single? i know you wont be for long! hurry and go find yourself a nice tall boy!” and such…

so yeah… basic responds is to laugh and smile. it’s neutral! imagine the horror when they find out i’m a lesbian! ABOMINATION!

most of my friends are christians, non of my christian friends are GLBT (even if there were, i don’t know of any). i dont have any close non-christian friends that are GLBT. so i dont really have anyone to talk to or to relate to.

i came out to a few christian friends and my pastor tho. last year. one gave me the O.O!! OMGOSH look and avoided talking about it with me. another 2 friends were really supportive and open to understanding a GLBT accepting God, which i’m really thankful and grateful for. and my pastor… well… she wasn’t the best at giving me space to understand myself properly. she prayed for me a few times and said things that a normal Christian would say “God will heal you” “have faith” “God is an awesome God who heals” etc… n i believe in all of them, except that i also now believe that God is a God that loves all and accepts GLBT!

i’m an active leader of a church movement that are like most – they don’t accept GLBT. i always grew up thinking that i was a huge failure to God and to the church. i served in church thinking that i was being irresponsible to their foundation of faith because i wasn’t being honest to myself and being in denial to who i really was. i taught people about the bible and told them to do/avoid things that aren’t what God wants and yet i was thinking that i myself didnt practice it. i went through depression without anyone really knowing what was going on. i’m a leader in a bible study that is against GLBT.

this was before i really researched and understood who my God really was. i had my breakthrough near the end of last year. when was reading through scripture, understanding the whole context and knowing what certain passages really meant. a lot of the websites which i’ve read brought me to tears, brought me to accept who i really was. i’ve never really felt God’s great love for me till then. it was the best feeling i’ll ever come to experience! 🙂

there was no more shame when i was with God

no more feeling of being a hypocrite

no more feeling as though i was an abomination

no more fighting who i really was

although i still have my struggles. one of them is me still being stuck in my closet. still living a facade of what people want to see… but it takes time i guess, to be emotionally and spiritually prepared. i’m still pretty new to this whole transition and being part of this group and committee would be a real privilege! to be able to read peoples life stories and their struggle. to be part of a community that really truly understands what each other is going through.

i guess i’m still just starting out of this journey to building up myself and my understanding. building up my relationship with God and finding a place for me to grow spiritually.

i have God by my side and i know that’s all i ever really need 🙂

i’ve now stepped away from my leadership roles in church because i needed to be real to myself and to my beliefs. i’m still yet to come out to my church. i feel as though it’s the right thing to do and the right step for them to be aware of this issue. i’m still yet to come out in my bible study and to explain to my bible study leader what i believe in, please do pray for me in this! i can only rely on God’s strength and His wisdom to guide me through this step!

i am planning on coming down to sydney this coming weekend to check out the Freedom 2 b[e] Youth event and also to check out CRAVE MCC! thank God for such a supporting and encouraging community of people 🙂

whoa… didn’t expect to write such a long post! sorry! btw, anyone know any contacts in Newcastle in regards to GLBT christians? i don’t seem to be able to find any GLBT accepting church. i know the uniting church are accepting to GLBT but i also know of people in the uniting church that are extremely against it. confusing…! heh… thanks for letting me blabber 😀

Rachel

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 26, 2010, 20:25

Hi Rachel

Great to hear your story..and welcome! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

How long have you been in Newcastle? At least you can express your sexuality in Australia without fear of being jailed or punished. We don’t realise how lucky we are here in that regard. Are your family still in Malaysia?

I’m so glad you’re finding alternative interpretations of the bible passages that have for so long been used to ‘clobber’ LGBT individuals and the community. If you haven’t already, check out the articles by Dyer and others in the Resources section on this site.

I don’t know of any churches in your area as I’m in Melbourne but some of our Sydney people might do.

Keep talking to us here. We’re glad to have you in our midst!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
April 26, 2010, 22:20

Rachel,

Thanks for posting that. I think you’ve been both pretty brave and pretty smart about how you’ve gone about things so far. I didn’t even consider coming out to anyone until I’d read a lot of scripture, and made my own decisions about what I think it really said. The web was a wonderful resource for that, as you’ve found.

I guess I found it hard to believe that other people could be comfortable with my faith and sexuality when I couldn’t even be comfortable with it myself. Once I had it sorted in my own mind, the path was then a bit simpler – though still pretty scary. I consider myself lucky that I had a few close non-religious friends who I could come out to first, before moving on to my Christian friends. It’s a bit sad that I felt that was the best way to do it, but then, it’s why freedom 2 b[e] exists I suppose.

I am constantly floored by people like you who start by coming out to Christian friends. That takes some guts.

I’ll be at the freedom 2 b[e] Youth gig on Saturday – looking forward to seeing you then!

Rivers

Joined in 2008
April 26, 2010, 22:53

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for sharing your story with us and I hope you are being encouraged by all the stories on the forums here. Isn’t it great to finally find people we can relate to? We don’t have to feel isolated, afraid or alone. There are literally millions of LGBT from Christian backgrounds globally and more and more are connecting online and in their own nations around the world every day. It’s really a massive global family, a rainbow nation in every nation. Its exciting. So even if you feel pressure from your biological family or church family, you will find a lot of strength and encouragement from the LGBT Christian community.

Its great to meet someone from Malaysia. My first Chinese teacher was from Malaysia and I have been to KL once. Such a beautiful country. I do not know any LGBT with Chinese heritage from Malaysia, but I have met a lot of awesome Asian LGBT Christians in Taiwan and know there are gay affirming churches in Hong Kong and Singapore.

For many LGBT in Asia family is a major issue. I live in Japan and know so many people here who have not yet come out to their parents. Some even set up sham marriages or force themselves to get married to people they don’t love just to keep face or to produce children to carry on the family. The pressure on eldest children especially can be intense. Some parents even know their children are gay or lesbian but still pressure them to marry to save face or produce kids.

I think there comes a point though where we have to stand up to family pressure and just live our own lives. Hopefully our families will come to respect our bravery one day, but even if they remain opposed we can’t just live our lives to keep up appearances or protect our family reputation. Even Jesus did things His family didn’t agree with but Jesus had to be true to the path God had for Him, even if they didn’t understand at the time. Come to think of it Mary being pregnant with Jesus before they were married probably didn’t do Joseph’s reputation much good at the time, but God has a way of humbling the proud. Maybe that’s why so many Pastors’ kids are gay!

Anyway, glad to hear you are studying in Australia now. Perhaps God has brought you to a safe place like Australia to help you better accept yourself and reach a point where you can help others back home. I’m sure you will meet some great people in Sydney.

Timothy

IanJ

Joined in 2009
April 26, 2010, 23:21

Rachel,

Thanks for your post. It is so encouraging that someone can work out as much as you have by themselves. I wish I had done that!!!

Crave MCC has a small group that meets in the Newcastle area. So if you send an email to their website, or ask about it on Sunday, then they should be able to help you.

Or send me a message and I will find out who to contact.

Ian

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 27, 2010, 09:44

Hi Rivers

I didn’t know there were gay affirming churches in Singapore. I imagined any LGBT would be strictly underground.. But then I haven’t been to Singapore for about 16 years and I wasn’t even aware of my sexuality back then so wasn’t looking for support in that area… I agree, Malaysia is a beautiful country. I went to KL, Singapore and a fishing port called Muar in Johor, as part of a church trip in 1994.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 27, 2010, 10:03

Thanks Rivers. If I go back to Singapore I’ll check that out. 🙂

Rivers

Joined in 2008
April 27, 2010, 10:06

Hi Ann Maree,

The one in Singapore (haven’t been there, just saw their website) is Free Community Church: http://www.freecomchurch.org/

There is a directory of gay-friendly churches in Asia at the following link: http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/foriegn_nations/asia.htm

Timothy

N149

Joined in 2010
April 27, 2010, 14:40

Hey Rachel,

Nice to “meet” you 😛

I just recently came out to my Mom after realising that God was OK with me…

It can be a long journey… But the past few weeks after realising that God loves me exactly as I am has been amazing…

Hope to meet you soon… Possibly at the youth event 🙂

Shan

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
April 27, 2010, 21:09

Hi Rachel,

It will be great to see you this Saturday at Freedom 2 b[e] Youth. It’s a great bunch of people. Add me to facebook if you want just so I can keep in contact (name: Benjamin Gresham).

It’s great to hear that you study Architecture. I study Town Planning and Urban Design. I am in my 4th year at UNSW. It’s a really interesting degree.

Hope you have a great week and it’s good to see you on this site. 🙂

Ben

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.