Forums

Surviving the critics

Page:   1 2 3

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 11, 2009, 20:25

I think thats a question we’d all like answered……my sense is there have been changes.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 12, 2009, 07:15

Yes, thats the impression Ive been getting, would love it if he came on here to have a chat.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 12, 2009, 09:34

wouldn’t that be wonderful

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
April 14, 2009, 06:36

Gettingthere, how did the class go?

I attended a Catholic high school here in Scotland, and similar to you, we were taught that homosexuality was evil and perverse. Sitting as a hormonal, confused, brain-washed Christian teenager, i basically made this connection:

Gay is Evil – I think I’m gay – I must be evil – I’m going to hell!

Living with that for a good number of years drove me mental, suicidal and many other years of torment and mental agony!

It is only now, at 25, that I feel secure and empowered in my sexuality to speak up, be controversial and say my piece!

So seriously, I reiterate what others have said – pull a sickie! No one else will think any less of you, looking after yourself and your own sanity is the most important factor here, not SCHOOL!!!

And thats coming from a qualified primary school teacher hahahaha

Justin

x

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
April 14, 2009, 20:06

It hasn’t happened yet, Justin, it’ll be next week. (I’ve been projecting the date and stuff for weeks now, gah.) Well, I managed to somehow find notes for the lesson we were going to do and I think I might be able to handle it. Homosexuality is not the major focus, thank God, so while it will be brought up, it won’t be talked about too much. However, I can’t be too sure of how I will respond. I might surprise myself and be very resolute through the whole thing. But at the same time, I’m very aware that I have a lot of emotional wounds related to my orienation, so I’m afraid that something during the class could serve as a trigger and I’ll suddenly just break. I know this happened to me before, so it is a very rational thing. I’m trying to trust that God’s plans will be worked out, so I shouldn’t live in fear as I have been for a long time. I’ve been planning out several responses, most of them have been very unpleasant. So I’m trying to just stay calm and not get too preoccupied with the future.

And btw, I have been thinking about being sick on that day. In fact, I’m mildly sick right now, so this could work. I’m trying to keep my sickness under control and then totally stop being healthy next week in hopes that I miss the day the class is… however, I forgot to note, it’s not just one day. The lecture will take two days to watch. We will then spend two days researching and writing papers (the annoying part of this is I have to listen to everyone else’s comments as they talk with their group about their research). Then, we spend a day on the test and then do the next section. So it’s really a week. I’m kind of torn though, in that I don’t want to be there, but at the same time, I do want to get this issue of my sexuality resolved and I know nothing will get resolved if I avoid the issue. I don’t know what will happen… I just have to rely God for this one.

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
April 14, 2009, 20:14

Will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers next week

What you described hits so many buttons with me as well. Guess with this forum thing everyone has been through the same trauma so help, even if it is just virtual, is probably the main reason we are here.

When I was at uni, there were SOOOO many assignments and essays and projects that I had to hand in, that I fundamentally disagreed with. Even though this had nothing whatsoever to do with my sexuality, I can relate to how frustrated you must feel, and conflicted. My best advice is to just “tell them what they want to hear”, its a paper and pen exercise, a means to an end. THEY (i.e. the teachers) will think that in doing this exercise they are brainwashing the next generation into becoming as homophobic as they are, when in fact WE (me and you) know that this is not the case.

The radical activist side of me would LOVE to ask some of AVB’s questions in your class to your teachers, but the young suicidal teenage Justin all to well remembers the mental torture that was Catholic high school. So you look after yourself!!!!

I know it feels all encompassing at the moment, but i can PROMISE that there is life after high school is over, and that’s when the real fun begins hahahaha

Keep in touch

Justin

x

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
April 14, 2009, 23:31

I can’t wait for life after high school so I can go to one of those Christian colleges. Honestly, yes… I complain so much about the downsides of going to a Christian college, and then I require myself to attend a Christian college. Oh the irony of my life plans. But I know what I’m doing. I’m not like those closet cases who go to Liberty University or whatever in hopes of getting de-gayed. Actually, the hope of meeting some of those closeted Christians at a college was something that I thought of after I made the decision to attend a Christian college that really inspired me even more to go there. I gotta represent for all my gay Christian brethren out there. 😛 So, yeah. Off-topic, I know. Heh. Back to me and my problems.

Honestly, I’ve been thinking of turning my research paper into a piece of satire in order to demonstrate how ridiculous the anti-gay position of mainstream Christianity is. Meh. We’ll see. It’s an idea.

Trust me, Justin, I have a radical activist side in me too that is familiar with many arguments that could cause more than a few moments of pondering by the opposition. The only problem is said radical activist side is next-door neighboors with my vulnerable sensitive side. In short, I’m usually too emotionally shattered to be able to get my points across. I’m going to have to work on that, aren’t I? Sigh. Now I know why the Bible talks so much about peace… you don’t realize how big of a deal it is until you feel like it’s slipping away.

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
April 14, 2009, 23:43

You are a much stronger person than I am then. I have not been able to set foot in a church since I came out over three years ago. I had had enough of religion, theology, Bible translations and CHRISTIANS in particular!! So I take my hat off to you, for still even considering going to a Christian college!

This forum is basically my church now where I fellowship with others, give advice and support where I can, and ask for help and guidance when I need it. I don’t see me ever going back to formalised fellowship within an institution (church) but never say never!

I suppose if you are careful and listen to yourself, you could turn your WRITTEN assignment into the piece of sattire that you want, because its written you can draft it, edit it, take your time and give yourself time to recover when you are “emotionally shattered”. You do not have to orally justify your points in class then. I would be happy to help you with that if you wanted me to read over your drafts, i have my Teacher’s Pen at the ready 😆

I totally empathise with you on the whole Peace point. Its only been fairly recently that I feel i have acquired a mere formulation of peace in my life and that has been down to the following things

1) Learning to love myself for who I am

2) Not looking or caring for acceptance from anyone

3) Freeing myself from church establishments

Justin

x

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2009, 23:15

Guys, this is it. This is the week where my class will start. I’m a little bit nervous, but at the same time, I’m hoping that maybe it’ll start something that can help get closer to the life that I really want. You’ve got to go through the valleys to get up onto the mountain so to speak. I know it’s just Sunday, but I feel like this week is already being very gay-themed. I don’t know how this is going to turn out. Please pray for me that God prevents me from doing something incredibly idiotic if the pain gets to be too much. I’m sure this is going to be an important week in my life. Hopefully, I don’t mess it up.

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
April 20, 2009, 06:00

Will definitely be thinking of you!

Just stay calm, go with the flow, and don’t worry about anyone else.

You do what you have to do to keep yourself sane, safe and well.

Keep me posted!

Justin

x

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.072 seconds.