Forums

Sydney Diary - William Yang

Page: 1

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 25, 2011, 17:54

I’m currently in Port Macquarie at a Photographic Convention, Arty Farty is also here. This morning we heard a speaker I  thought was interesting and might interest some of you. 

Some of you I hope might know or have heard of William Yang, he is a freelance photographer, presenter, playwright and visual artist. He is Australia’s most toured performing artist. 

In 1977 he produced a photographic book called Sydney Diary, which apparently caused a sensation with it’s frank and powerful depiction of the Sydney gay and party scene. 

He put his skills to good use with his most famous creation “Sadness” a journey through his Chinese heritage and the rituals of dying and death in Sydney, some of which focused on the gay community. This piece was made into a film by Tony Ayres in 1999.

This morning he shared some of his incredible photos, including photos of the Gay Mardi Gras over the many years, he shared when he came out as a Gay person and some of his Chinese heritage.

After his talk I went and congratulated him and thanked him for being a spokes person for the gay community, in words and in photography and his bravery in coming out in the early eighties when things weren’t as open as they were now. He seemed to be very touched that I did so.

I’m sure there would of been some people there this morning who felt very uncomfortable with some of his photos and what he was saying so I think it was amazing that he was so bold in sharing his story and journey.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
September 25, 2011, 21:42

Yep, Mother Hen, William Yang has been a long-term fixture here in Sydney and his photographic exhibitions have contributed much. Good that you could meet him.

Love your sites – having been to many of the sites of your photos, &/or places similar, they brought back so many fond memories of my travels around Australia.

God bless.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.061 seconds.