Forums

The Australian Psychologist Society's Position on Reparative Therapies

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 14, 2010, 13:13

http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/reparative_therapy.pdf

APS Position Statement on the Use of Therapies that Attempt to Change Sexual Orientation

In the past, defining homosexuality as an illness buttressed society’s dislike for same-sex relationships. In the current social climate, claiming homosexuality is a mental disorder stems from efforts to discredit the growing social acceptance of homosexuality as a normal variant of human sexuality. Consequently, the issue of changing sexual orientation has become highly politicised. The debates surrounding this issue have obscured the scientific data by calling into question the motives and the character of individuals on both sides of the issue.

The validity, efficacy and ethics of clinical attempts to change an individual’s sexual orientation have been challenged. To date, there are no scientifically rigorous outcome studies to determine either the actual efficacy or harm of therapies or treatments that attempt to change a person’s sexual orientation. There are sparse scientific data about selection criteria, risks versus benefits of the treatment, and long-term outcomes of such therapies. The literature consists of anecdotal reports of individuals who have claimed to change, people who claim that attempts to change were harmful to them, and others who claimed to have changed and then later recanted those claims.

With little data about patients, it is impossible to evaluate the theories, which rationalise the conduct of ‘reparative’ or conversion therapies. Firstly, they are at odds with the scientific position of the American Psychiatric Association, which has maintained, since 1973, that homosexuality per se is not a mental disorder. The theories of ‘reparative’ therapists define homosexuality as either a developmental arrest, a severe form of psychopathology, or some combination of both. In recent years, noted practitioners of ‘reparative therapy’ have openly integrated older psychoanalytic theories that pathologise homosexuality with traditional religious beliefs condemning homosexuality.

The earliest scientific criticisms of the early theories and religious beliefs informing ‘reparative’ or conversion therapies came primarily from sexology researchers. Later, criticisms emerged from psychoanalytic sources as well. There has also been an increasing body of religious thought arguing against traditional, biblical interpretations that condemn homosexuality and which underlie religious types of ‘reparative’ therapy.

Recommendations:

1. APS supports the APA 1973 position that homosexuality is not a diagnosable mental disorder.

2. As a general principle, a therapist should not determine the goal of treatment either coercively or through subtle influence. Psychotherapeutic modalities to convert or ‘repair’ homosexuality are based on developmental theories the scientific validity of which is questionable. Furthermore, anecdotal reports of ‘cures’ are counterbalanced by anecdotal claims of psychological harm. ‘Reparative’ therapists have not produced any rigorous scientific research to substantiate their claims of cure. Until there is such research available, APS recommends that ethical practitioners refrain from attempts to change individuals’ sexual orientation.

3. The ‘reparative’ therapy literature uses theories that make it difficult to formulate scientific selection criteria for their treatment modality. This literature not only ignores the impact of social stigma in motivating efforts to cure homosexuality, it is a literature that actively stigmatises homosexuality as well. ‘Reparative’ therapy literature also tends to overstate the treatment’s accomplishments while neglecting any potential risks to patients. APS encourages and supports research in the academic research community to determine further the efficacy or otherwise of therapies or treatments that attempt to change a person’s sexual orientation.

June 2000

(Based on the APA Statement, March 2000)

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
May 14, 2010, 15:31

Hey AVB,

Thanks for posting this. This is important!!

Can I request (if not already done so) that you add this statement to our resources section??

Cheers,

Ben

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 14, 2010, 16:34

Hi Ben

And I believe this statement is on the STOP taskforce facebook group that’s fighting against reparative ‘therapies’ in the UK.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 14, 2010, 17:20

Hey AVB,

Thanks for posting this. This is important!!

Can I request (if not already done so) that you add this statement to our resources section??

Cheers,

Ben

Of course you can make that request my dear Ben….and it shall be done……once Chris sets up the page in resources on scientific information. Its on the list of ‘to do’s ‘ I gave him…..hehe.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 15, 2010, 13:28

Has anyone heard and/or read about Dr Joseph Nicolosi and his approach to reparative therapy?

It came up in one of my “Recommendations” from a certain online bookshop :~

I’m don’t think that’s very ethical if you’ve bought a GLBT book about the positive psychological and relationship aspects of being a gay person …

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 15, 2010, 15:28

Hi Pierre

Yes, he’s a very miserable looking man who spouts a lot of rubbish about homosexuality being a “gender disorder issue” (!?). He believes, like some other ex gay people, that all gay men have issues with their father and haven’t bonded properly. Of course, these claims have proven to be groundless, not in line with reliable research.

Perhaps the bookshop have put Nicolosi’s work under a broad association of all things to do with homosexuality.. Of course if I was the site/company owner I’d be alarmed when I learnt of the damage reparative ‘therapies’ do. But the people selling the books may not even be aware or they may have an agenda. And maybe they think they’re representing a wide range of resources to reach a bigger audience?

I guess they also rely on consumers to look into what the books are about before they purchase. I get your point though that if you’re searching for positive reading about being gay, and his stuff comes up, that could be very confusing and distressing, depending on personal circumstances. Would you feel inclined to offer feedback about this to the company?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 15, 2010, 19:20

Has anyone heard and/or read about Dr Joseph Nicolosi and his approach to reparative therapy?

It came up in one of my “Recommendations” from a certain online bookshop :~

I’m don’t think that’s very ethical if you’ve bought a GLBT book about the positive psychological and relationship aspects of being a gay person …

Yep…..very silly, annoyong, intelligent man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXue5IknI2U

My friend Daniel in the US (who I met through the ex-gay survivor conferences i’ve been to) is a former ‘ patient’ of Nicolosi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDn7cEgxvtg

the related search probably brought it up by the words you used?

davidt

Joined in 2009
May 16, 2010, 10:31

Reparative therapies do a very considerable amount of damage.

The use of electric “punishments” to try to change a person’s sexual orientation from gay to straight were extremely painful. The results of that aversion therapy were that it didn’t work and they don’t do them anymore. The procedures were carried out at a hospital in Sydney in the 1970s.

However the body temperature monitoring tests did prove I am gay, as there isn’t a single thing anyone can do to influence the outcome of those tests. Being gay is definitely not a matter of choice.

The doctors also advised me regarding all those who had been tested over many years, that while several had changed their behaviour, NONE had changed their sexual orientation. Those who have come through exgay ministries and claim to have been “cured” need to do three things.

1. Take those body temperature tests first to prove they were gay in the first place.

2. Go out and get “cured”

3 Take those body temperature tests again several times over the next few years and remain SILENT and let the doctors say if that person has been “cured”.

The pressure to LIE from the church is absolutely enormous.

When I tell fundomentalists about this and they still believe having a gay orientation is a matter of choice, I ask them to tell me about the day they chose to be heterosexual.

I had a great relationship with my parents, especially my father. My mother was not dominant. Both were fine christians and very actively involved in the church. All those arguments about people becoming gay because of a dominant mother and a distant father to me are a load of rubbish made by people who refuse to accept the fact that God creates some people gay.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 16, 2010, 12:15

Thanks AM and guys for clarifying my question about reparative therapy.

Yeah, I guess most online bookshops just lump all the material about homosexuality into one classification, regardless of the content therein. The classification should be more granular, but that’s a marketing exercise for them to do. That would certainly address the ethical question.

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
October 13, 2010, 01:16

‘Reparative Therapy’, ‘Conversion Therapy’, ‘Ex-Gay Therapy’… Different names for what is essentially the same thing: treatment of a person that claims to be able to change sexual orientation.

There have been no studies of adequate scientific rigor to show that these approaches work or are in any way effective. In fact the most reputable American medical and scientific organizations have expressed concern over counseling and psychological practices like conversion therapy and reparative therapy and consider them potentially harmful.

The American Psychiatric Association opposes any treatment which is based upon the assumption that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that a person should change their orientation. They recommend that ethical practitioners do not attempt to change their clients’ sexual orientation.

The American Counseling Association does not offer or condone training programs for conversion therapy. They suggest counselors refrain from referring clients to a conversion therapist.

The American Psychological Association regards homosexuality as ‘a normal and positive variation of human sexual orientation’ and is opposed to forcing anyone from trying to change their sexual orientation against their will, including parents forcing their children to change.

And the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy does not support treatment or intervention for same sex orientation because they do not regard it as a mental disorder.

The association I belong to, The Australian Association of Social Workers Social includes the prevention and elimination of negative discrimination on the grounds of sexuality in its code of ethical conduct.

There is simply no basis for these particular approaches to be supported by professional clinicians in human services whether it be psychiatry, psychology, counseling, social work, psychotherapy or welfare.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.078 seconds.