Forums

The Cure Documentary - First ever Aussie doco on ex-gay programs

Page:   1 2

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
November 3, 2011, 22:00

Hi everyone,

Today the long anticipated trailer for the upcoming documentary 'The Cure' was released. It features freedom2b co-founder Anthony Venn-Brown and F2b Sydney leaders Hannah Pia Baral and myself.

I am really excited about this and I believe that this will dispel the myth about ex-gay programs and promote the hope that you can reconcile your sexuality and faith. 🙂

Link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWIb5-f4H8

Sharon

Joined in 2010
November 3, 2011, 23:50

Hi Ben, this is such an exciting project! I look forward to viewing the final product! I’ve often wondered what happened to the people that I attended Living Waters in Sydney with. Ron Brookman was among them – prior to him taking on the leadership role. I reckon a reunion is in order! Waddayu think?

Sharon

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 8, 2011, 17:40

Hi Ben

This looks excellent. Well done! Love the music and production. Like Sharon said, I look forward to seeing the fiished product. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Brunski

Joined in 2005
December 1, 2011, 18:34

Well done Ben, this looks amazing! I can’t wait to see the final product.

It’s so good to finally, actually have an Australian Documentary as opposed to the usual American stuff. 🙂

Im listening to an interview that you gave on JOY 94.9 one thing that kind of took me back a bit was, something you said quote “I use to believe you know that, for example, that the Bible was you know, without a doubt the word of God, now I believe that, its inspired by God, that’s two very different things … I believe that there are some flaws in it …”

That’s interesting, so you no longer believe the Bible is the word of God and you believe that it has flaws? Or have I misunderstood ?

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
December 4, 2011, 11:05

Hi Brunski,

It is fantastic to finally have an Australian resource about 'ex-gay' and reparative therapies. Many people think that these conversion programs only exist within the US….sadly that is not the case. Although I am yet to see the doco, I believe that at the end of this doco, there is a scene where they show freedom2b marching in Mardi Gras. I am marching with my parents with a big smile on my face. I believe that more than anything the doco will tell people that there is hope for their situation and that you CAN be gay & Christian.

In regards to the Bible quote on Joy FM, I believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God. I believe that it can be interpreted in different ways by different people, cultures, and throughout different periods of history. To take the bible word for word, I would need to agree with and support the removal of women from leadership, the banning of divorce, the harsh penalties for certain sins and of course…the death of LGBT people.

I believe that the bible is inspired by God, meaning that I believe that the Holy Spirit spoke through the writers and guided their decisions of what to include and what not to include. I believe that the Bible is transformational and can actually change peoples lives. My belief that the Bible is the Inspired and not literal word of God does not water down the gospel message but it actually makes me a stronger believer. I see myself as someone who has a mature and wise Christian faith now compared to how I was before as a Christian that believed every message preached in church and every word in the bible as fact. Ultimately, my relationship with Jesus helps guide my path and my reading of the scriptures. Good and strong counsel, and the fruit of the Spirit shows me what I am getting wrong and what I am getting right.

In the words of Rev. Laurence Keen:

I have a soft spot in my heart for literalists because I used to be one. However, when someone says to me, “this is what the Bible says,” my response to them is, “No, that’s what the Bible reads.” It is the struggle to understand context and language and culture and custom that helps us to understand the meaning of what it is saying.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
January 18, 2012, 21:28

This documentary will be screening at the Mardi Gras Film Festival in Sydney on Sunday 26 February at 2:30pm.

Synopsis:

A rare insight inside the reparative religious programs known as ex-gay ministries in Australia, The Cure introduces us to a number of people who have endured the church’s attempt to ‘free’ them of their homosexuality, some who’s true sexuality survived and others who claim to have been saved. Focusing on the mental health implications and dangerous behaviours engendered by programs attempting to change someone’s sexuality, this is an eye-opening and intimate introduction to an insidious and archaic practice that continues across Australia today.

Sun feb 26 Cinema Paris 2.30pm

Tickets are available from Thursday 19 January 2012 at:

http://www.queerscreen.com.au/

Link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWIb5-f4H8

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 19, 2012, 17:08

Hi Ben

How exciting! Well done to you and all who are involved. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
January 20, 2012, 20:01

I will be there – just booked tickets

Sarab 🙂

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
January 26, 2012, 12:53

Yay!! That's exciting. 🙂

Also, the documentary is screening in Brisbane on Saturday 14 April for the Powerhouse Queer Film Festival.

More info for Brisbane here: http://www.brisbanepowerhouse.org/events/view/the-cure/preview/

The Cure

Sat 14 Apr 2012

A revealing and intimate look into the relationship between faith and sexuality.

In a revealing and intimate exploration of the influence of faith on emerging sexuality, filmmaker Heather Corkhill dispels the secrecy that shrouds the current “ex-gay” movement in Australia. Through a series of candid interviews, The Cure breaks through the semantics of a range of reparative methodologies to unveil a single ultimatum to homosexual Christians – you must change.

Ultimately, The Cure discovers the resilience of the human spirit in the pursuit of true happiness. In accepting themselves for who they really are and embracing their identity, participants finally experience the happiness of living an authentic life, and savor a tangible sense of freedom.

Directed by Heather Corkhill, Australia, 2012

Duration: 60mins

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
February 14, 2012, 10:31

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to remind you all that 'The Cure' will premiere at the Mardi Gras Film Festival in Sydney on Sunday 26 February. This is less than 2 weeks away and tickets are selling fast. Make sure you get a ticket soon to avoid dissapointment.

The documentary will also screen at the Melbourne Queer Film Festival on Saturday 24 March and the Brisbane Queer Film Festival on Saturday 14 April. Tickets are already available for Brisbane. Melbourne tickets will be released shortly.

See some of you at the Sydney Premiere! 🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.138 seconds.