Forums

The Rev'd Ali Wurm resigns from Semaphore Parish

Page: 1

Steven Ogden

Joined in 2011
June 26, 2011, 17:54

The Rev’d Ali Wurm is an Anglican priest. She recently resigned from her parish at Semaphore, Adelaide, as she had been repeatedly harassed by others, outside the parish, because of her sexuality.

Now I need to declare my conflict of interest here. Ali is a friend. We worked together at St Peter’s Cathedral in Adelaide. Nevertheless, I can say this emphatically, Ali one of the finest priests I have ever worked with; she is also one of the most decent and loving persons I have ever met. No wonder the Semaphore parish loved and admired her.

Above all, Ali is a person of remarkable personal integrity. So, from the outset, Ali never tried to conceal from the Diocese of Adelaide that she was lesbian.

Currently, in world-wide Anglicanism, there is an impasse on issues of sexuality. This is because the bishops cannot find a way forward. The problem with an impasse is that good people like Ali suffer in the meantime.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
June 28, 2011, 00:05

That’s so sad. The heirachy and bureacracy overrule the people she served and with whom she shared mutual love.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 28, 2011, 14:31

a tragic situation. Phariseeism is alive and well in the church of the 21st century.

Luke 11:42-48

The Message (MSG)

42″I’ve had it with you! You’re hopeless, you Pharisees! Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but manage to find loopholes for getting around basic matters of justice and God’s love. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required.

43-44″You’re hopeless, you Pharisees! Frauds! You love sitting at the head table at church dinners, love preening yourselves in the radiance of public flattery. Frauds! You’re just like unmarked graves: People walk over that nice, grassy surface, never suspecting the rot and corruption that is six feet under.”

45One of the religion scholars spoke up: “Teacher, do you realize that in saying these things you’re insulting us?”

46He said, “Yes, and I can be even more explicit. You’re hopeless, you religion scholars! You load people down with rules and regulations, nearly breaking their backs, but never lift even a finger to help.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 28, 2011, 18:11

Hi Steven

Thanks for posting this. It’s so sad and appalling that your friend and her congregation have to go through this unnecessary suffering. It makes no sense.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.091 seconds.