Forums

To Tell My Christian Grandmother

Page:   1 2

JaydWoods

Joined in 2010
January 27, 2011, 03:39

My grandmother is a very sweet loving lady. And I am really not sure what to do about this situation. I have told nearly everyone else in the family that needs to know and they have been loving and accepting which has been really great.

In any other type of situation I would tell her. But my grandmother has been very stressed out and in poor mental shape. Not like she has dementia but she just eats herself up over other issues that are happening in the family.

Basically her daughter, who is the “bad apple” of the family, gave up custody of her son. It was over easter break to make things worse. This was a couple of years ago. Anyhow my grandmothers daughter, the now current caregivers of her kid, my aunt and uncle to whom I just came out to, and my cousins sister, all live in the same mile long stretch in a very religious, old, and strict community.

It gets more complicated. My cousin who’s mother gave up custody of him is now a hardcore atheist. He is the type of atheist who hates jews, blacks, mexicans, and probably gays as well. He is one of the nasty types. And not all atheists are evil like my family thinks. So it is sad that he is the highlight stereotype atheist.

Well my cousins sister who is still living with her mother on the same mile long stretch between grandma and her brothers plus his caregivers, my aunt and uncle, bare with the family details, decided to change religion from Christianity to Muslim. My grandmother is a muslim hater and hates the fact that my cousin changed religions. Obviously there is no problem with that from me. Everyone else seems to have a problem with it.

So now I have this wonderful scenario where I am gay and my grandmother is the only soul who doesn’t know. I want to tell her but I don’t want her to have any more emotional stress than she already puts upon herself. My family tells me I shouldn’t tell my grandmother. And inside of me that doesn’t feel right to hold back. If I don’t tell her I will still have to deal with her pestering me about more great grandchildren, and a wife, and a family. And what if I have all of that on the side and can never tell her because I am gay? What a moral dilemma!!! If I don’t tell her I will have to lie to her for the rest of her life. And when she dies I will have to live with the fact that I never told her. If I get married she won’t be invited… Who will I invite? If I invite my uncle and aunt and everybody but my grandmother she is going to be suspicious why everyone is gone. Everyone will have to lie. Lying is bad!!! It is such a mess!!!

So I hope I get good feedback. This is by far the greatest forum I have ever been a part of. I have been a part of a lot. I like that there are a lot of older people here who have been through these things before and are coping much better. It has been a great place for support. But in this situation I have no idea where to turn!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 27, 2011, 07:44

Hi Jaydwoods

Glad to have you with us raising this dilemma. And happy that f2b is such a supportive place for you! 🙂

I guess I’m wondering about possible outcomes if you do tell your grandmother. Here are some questions to consider:

If she responds badly what do you imagine that will look like? How will you feel? Is the news going to add to her life? If it’s taken badly, will it add to yours? And how will you cope? What are the positives of telling her even if she responds badly? Why are your family saying not to tell her? Are their opinions important in terms of what action you take? What response are you hoping from her if you do disclose and is that realistic? Do you know how grandma feels about gay people?

I agree – it is a tricky situation. And it’s good to explore all foreseeable options here with us. I find that planning ahead helps prepare and build coping strategies no matter what course of action is taken and regardless of outcomes.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

JaydWoods

Joined in 2010
January 28, 2011, 04:00

I know what to expect from her she is really viscous when she wants to be. And it is really with her words more so than anything else. I wouldn’t really care if I told her and she didn’t love me or just as bad thought I was going to hell. Or thinks that I “chose the wrong” path. To me it is all the same. It is all different forms of non acceptance. I like all or nothing. But I would love to have an open relationship with her. I would like her to meet my boyfriend and to see what a good person he really is. I would like her to someday meet her adopted grandkids if she is still around at that time.

I almost feel as if I have to impress her. But I know that I have come to realize I don’t have to prove anything to her as well. So that is the toughest because this will be a disappointment for her. And if she is upset I get upset.

My family just wants to avoid it. They don’t want to talk about the details or what is right or wrong to do. They just sort of want to pray for me like this will magically disappear. This is why I get so upset with prayer because it closes off communication between me and my family. My uncle suggested that I send my grandma a hand written old school letter so she can take it in and pray about it. I feel like it would me more effective to talk about this issue instead of just magically pray about it. My mom the other morning kept asking me if I was ok like I have some sort of deep depression. I told her I was fine and she said rely on God to help you. I personally would rather rely on people. I hate having discussion closed off when someone says just pray about it. Prayer can be spiritual but it isn’t going to help me sort through all these moral dilemmas I will continually find myself in. I need people to rely on. Not prayer and religion. People are what is important and I think God agrees with me there.

Side rant anyhow. But I just hate how I have opened up and am being closed off again about this issue. I want to talk about it but most the time I get negative body language response. People don’t listen because it takes to much emotional energy to handle. I am very upset with the understanding of prayer!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 28, 2011, 07:49

Hi JaydWoods

Yes I think you make a really good point about prayer and how it’s used. I believe there’s a time to pray and a time not to pray. A time for reflection and a time for action. A time for words and a time for silence… I mean, genuine prayer can be beautiful for deepening understanding and bringing wisdom to the one praying (or that’s how I see it). And a natural outcome of this is loving action, again on the part of the the one praying, rather than just wishful thinking. I don’t think we pray to change God or others so much but to change ourselves. And what’s the point of prayer if it doesn’t lead to something? Mind you, change can take a while and the outcomes often don’t happen as quickly as we’d like.

I like how you say prayer can be used to close off communication. I see what you mean and I’m sorry that this happens. On the other hand, if people are using it to take stock and seek wisdom rather than blurting out stuff in haste that they might later regret, I can see the benefit in that.

Some years ago I sought counsel from church leaders while I was in a rather desperate state. I was close to a nervous breakdown because of a very difficult workplace bullying situation.. All the church people wanted to do was pray about it and I could just feel my strength slipping away.. I realised they had no idea how to deal with my situation. It was a very real dilemma that they had no experience with. And in those dire circumstances I was in, I felt that prayer was about as useful as dieting for a starving person. I mean, you’d give a starving person some nourishment rather than pray for them wouldn’t you? And in my situation I needed some practical support or perhaps a referral to somewhere that could help but they didn’t know how to do that.

As for your dilemma, it sounds like you are not expecting a favourable response from Grandma but you want openness above and beyond that. If all hell breaks out, how are you with conflict?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 29, 2011, 00:50

I think I’d ask the question JayWoods…….do you feel the need to tell her for your own benefit or for hers.

JaydWoods

Joined in 2010
January 29, 2011, 02:31

I think I am just going to leave it alone. I don’t feel either of us will be hurt if I don’t tell her. I think more damage will be done if I tell her.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 29, 2011, 14:30

Yes, sometimes openness isn’t always the best option.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Boi70

Joined in 2007
January 29, 2011, 15:39

Hi JaydWoods

Knowing when / if we should tell someone that we are gay – particularly those we are close to or respect can be a difficult choice. It takes strength either way! I’ve found that freedom is not always about taking action or expressing something – it can be about knowing in yourself that you have the freedom and/or the ability to choose, as well. 🙂

I think I am just going to leave it alone. I don’t feel either of us will be hurt if I don’t tell her. I think more damage will be done if I tell her.

And whether you had chosen to tell your grandmother or not, I am so pleased for you that you were able to decide for yourself what is your best choice, and also know why you have made this choice. And now, you are free to move onto something else. 🙂

Regards,

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 29, 2011, 16:42

Hi Jason

You said:

I’ve found that freedom is not always about taking action or expressing something – it can be about knowing in yourself that you have the freedom and/or the ability to choose, as well.

That’s excellent and very well put!

You also said:

And whether you had chosen to tell your grandmother or not, I am so pleased for you that you were able to decide for yourself what is your best choice, and also know why you have made this choice. And now, you are free to move onto something else.

Yes there’s something about living consciously and owning our decisions that is freeing. Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Jason. And good for you, JaydWoods!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
January 30, 2011, 06:08

The situation with my extended family is also “complicated” to say the least. It did play on the back of my mind when I came out to my parents. None of my extended family know I am gay, and I don’t care to tell them. In fact, it may come in handy one day if I ever want an excuse to cut ties. Lol.

I think it is important to realise that for you, the issue of your sexuality is resolved. Any negative reactions are entirely to do with your grandmother and the prejudices that have been placed in her over the years. So whilst you don’t have to tell her, please don’t modify your behaviour for her either. It’s your life. You are perfectly entitled to live it as one whole life, not separate lives that you need to keep secret.

I would reply to your points about prayer but I need to pray about them first. 😉

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.