Forums

Uniting Church Conversations on Marriage

Page: 1

outnproud

Joined in 2011
August 19, 2013, 18:09

I am not sure if people are aware that the Uniting Church is currently holding conversations around the nation on its understanding of marriage and whether it should be changed or not. Currently the official position of the church is that marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman but many in the church want this position changed. That is why the conversations are happening. So if you are part of the UCA, keep your eyes and ears open- there may be an event near you when you can have your say on this topic. If you want to know when the conversations are on, contact your synod office.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 21, 2013, 18:12

Hi outnproud

Thanks for letting us know about this. It's encouraging news that the dialogue is opening up on this topic in the uniting church. It's nice when people are able to listen and learn from each other. Differences of opinion do not so much matter if people are willing to put aside their positions to really hear the other's perspective which may be different to theirs, open to learning about the other. In all of this, I believe that people matter more than the positions we hold.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

outnproud

Joined in 2011
August 28, 2013, 13:12

I am going to the Perth conversation tomorrow afternoon and I certainly hope we are able to listen to each other respectfully. I'll let you know how it goes.

jamesn

Joined in 2009
August 31, 2013, 15:49

Good to see the Uniting Church having the courage to a least ask the questions about issues many churches won't even touch, at least not yet. There are manyh Baptist pastors and churche who are pro gay marriage but are silent when it comes to speaking up at the their state bodies. That is ok for now but one day soon there will be a line in the sand and it will be time to decide which side of the line you are on!

outnproud

Joined in 2011
September 2, 2013, 12:34

About 40 people attended the Perth conversation which was conducted in a respectful way. We worked in table groups and were asked to answer three questions- What changes in attitudes to marriage did we see happening in society? What was our understanding of Christian marriage? and Did we want any changes to the UCA's understanding of marriage? On my table all participants agreed that we needed to change our understanding of marriage to include same gender couples. There were some people on other tables who are of more conservative theology and no doubt they said something different. All responses from around Australia will now be collated to get a picture of what church members are saying on this issue and then a discussion paper will be produced for further conversation in the church. I am encouraged by a church that can engage in this kind of conversation without abuse or attack of anyone because of their position.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 3, 2013, 07:26

Hi outnproud

Thanks for sharing this. It is encouraging indeed. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.059 seconds.