Forums

unsure of my sons sexual preferences

Page: 1

August 22, 2008, 21:40

I have confronted my son in a calm manner about whether or not he is gay. Once again he has denied all and says I am a terrible person for not believing him. he has mostly Girl friends. we have found a lot of gay material on the computer to which he replies he does not know how it gets there. he has had several males stay the night all of which are rumoured to be gay or Bi. I love my son so much and wanted to tell him that I do feel he is gay and have done for a long time and no longer wish to hdie my feelings and wish he could do the same. I may be wrong either way he is still my son and will love him regardless. would welcome some comments

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
August 22, 2008, 22:33

Welcome Marilyn and so glad you have found us, I know you will get some help/suggestions here. I know most people are afraid to admit their sexuality because of the stigma attached many times and repercussions, it may be that he isnt ready to come out to you just yet, especially if you are Christian. Does he know about this website?

luke_18

Joined in 2008
August 23, 2008, 09:07

hi Marilyn

How old is your son? When i was 20 my parents found out that i was gay due to gay material on their computer too (shameful on my behalf i spose), and they confronted me over it and i guess i had no choice but to admit to it. which for me was at a time that i wasnt quite ready for them to know. but at the same time it was good because it meant i didnt have to work up the courage to tell them myself.

In your case you son doesnt seem to want to come out yet, which is fine and i guess he will come out to you when he feels comfortable. So in my opinion, i think one of the best things that you could do is somehow make it known to him that you wont judge him or get mad or treat him any different. If he perceives support from his family i think it will speed up the process a little. sometime people (me being one of them) dont like to come out to people purely as a means of control…. the more people that know the more it feels as though im not in control of the situation. which can be distressing. So yeah let him take his time. just keep loving him like u do.

i admire your diligence in seeking out help for your son. shows how much u care. good on you!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 23, 2008, 20:02

this might help marilyn….its the process people go through coming out I presented a conference last year and at our Sydney F2B meeting recently.

THE PROCESS OF RESOLUTION

Let me take you through the process that I went through. Its not the same for everyone but like Elizabeth Kubler Ross’ process of grieving, most people pass through each stage at some time no matter how briefly. Problems develop when people become stuck in one place and can’t move on.

1. Denial (I’m not gay, I was drunk, I’m bisexual, I was just horny, it’s just a stage, I was just experimenting, its just a phase).

2. Rejection (I can change it, I can overcome it)

3. Suppression (I can control it, monitor it, it’s my secret, no one need know)

4. Hatred (this thing is too strong for me, I hate my gayness, therefore I hate myself)

5. Acceptance (Healthy & unhealthy). It’s wonderful that so many young people today are coming out and accepting their homosexuality. There is also a group, like I was for years, who have accepted their sexuality but only reluctantly. They would prefer to be heterosexual and as long as that remains in their thinking, they can never fully embrace their true selves and enjoy the sense of freedom that brings. They exist with a subconscious belief that life is unfair, they still live with a sense of shame and some believe they will inevitably go to hell because they gave in to their homosexuality.

6. Celebration (I love being gay). This is the beginning of living a life of authenticity and congruence. The person who celebrates and embraces their sexuality lives a powerful life that transforms those around them because no one can deny what you have………a wholesome and profound love of self.

Your sons strong denials could be for several reasons. The first person we must come out to is ourselves……sounds like a silly statement…but its true non the less. So your son can’t move on till he gets to that place. I From what you’ve said to me prviately in your email and what you’ve written here…….I think its a safe bet he’s gay.f he is gay….then sounds like he is firmly stuck in the denial stage…….but he can’t be dragged out of the closet.

I’ve know of situations where even though there were other gay members of the family one remained firmly in denial for years. Strange eh…..their siblings were welcomed when they came out so what were they worried about.

Can I ask a couple of questions?

Is your household a christian household?

have you heard of PFLAG?

August 24, 2008, 13:34

My Husband is Catholic and so are our children, I am C of E. We are a christian family, not a family that talks religion at length. My son is slightly more religious, likes to wear a cross, likes some religious songs, and the Hillsong cd. Played the role of Jesus during the Easter litergy at school. Only my husband goes to church on a regular basis, myself only now and then. I found the reading you sent to be very accurate. I am just going to let it all rest now. I feel better to have spoken to my son and been honest with my feelings even though it came at a cost of making him feel sad that i dont believe him. I find he has a very convincing way of making you feel that you are wrong and that he is not gay. Either way, I needed to do that to free myself of the dishonest feelings I had. I was hoping it would give my son a chance to free himself also but not ready yet obviously. Time will be my best avenue now. I may not continue to write you as I feel really happy now with the help I have received. The information you have sent has been spot on. All my puzzling questions have been answered and I understand much more now. I cannot thank you enough and will let you know any further outcome regards Marilyn

August 24, 2008, 13:36

PS No I have not heard of PFlag!

y_v101

Joined in 2008
August 25, 2008, 10:43

Here’s another website besides PFLAG you may like to check out, if you have not discovered it yet,

Kind regards

Lyfe

http://www.truthsetsfree.net/us.htm

Nancy & Richard Cannon – Support for Parents

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 26, 2008, 00:08

I”m glad we could be of help marilyn……you know where we are now if you need us……keep us bookmarked.

here is the site for PFLAG in australia.

http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/

What is PFLAG ?

PFLAG stands for Parents and Friends of Lesbians And Gays. We are a non-profit voluntary organisation whose members have a common goal of keeping families together. PFLAG is here to give help, support and information to families, friends of all gay people.

Who are we?

We are the parents and friends of gay and lesbian people who are a part of our community. Some of our families may be large, some small. Some of us are married, some divorced, some single. Our occupations are a varied as our personalities and educational levels. HOWEVER. We do have a common bond. Someone we love and care for is lesbian or gay.

Where are we?

There are various PFLAG groups around Australia in QLD, WA, SA, TAS, VIC, and NSW. Please click on the “Locations” link to the left to view a current list.

Why does PFLAG exist?

In Australia today, there are many parents with homosexual children. These children, and often their families are victims of social, political and economic prejudice. Gay persons in many communities are affected by discrimination in theirpursuit of happiness and in striving to live their lives with openness and dignity. Homosexuals are not the only ones touched by this discrimination. It also touches their friends and families. We as parents, families and friends of lesbians and gays wish to join together to appeal to the public conscience. We want to achieve the same rights and opportunities for our gay sons and lesbian daughters as are enjoyed by other Australians. As proud parents of gay people, our lives have been enriched by reaching an understanding and acceptance of our gay children and embracing their diversity. It is our goal to bring this understanding and acceptance of diversity to the community.

What do we do?

We have a number of activities aimed at supporting our members. We:

* Hold monthly support meetings where we discuss member issues and concerns. Sometimes we have guest speakers who are professionals in their field to discuss topics of interest to the members.

* Provide a safe, friendly place where participants can talk freely and openly. All our meetings are confidential to the participants.

* Maintain a library of books, videos, pamphlets, and articles to help educate parents and others on issues of homosexuality.

* Publish a monthly newsletter and provide an information telephone line. Provide speakers to interested organisations for discussion panels as and when requested

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.062 seconds.