Forums

What are some outrageous myths or stereotypes you've heard about us as LGBTI?

Page: 1

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 11, 2011, 10:30

There are some pretty wild notions out there about what we are like as LGBTI peeps and being Christian too, what are some that you have heard?

I’ll put 1 or 2:

1) That me as a Lesbian am trying to take the role of a man.

2) That a Lesbian is attracted to every woman she see’s

3) That all I need is a good man to change me

All Phui!!!!!!!!! J)

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 11, 2011, 14:23

Hi magsdee

Excellent topic! 🙂

I’ve heard it said and implied that I must be confused as a bi woman, not sure which gender to go for!

And once upon a time, when I was dating a woman, a male counsellor told me that perhaps I hadn’t met the right man yet. I replied: “What – like you?!” 🙂

Also I think there’s a perceived idea that bi people are promiscuous and yet I’m the least promiscuous person I know.

I’ve also heard it jokingly said that bisexuals are statistically more fortunate when dating because they’re not excluding half the population. But then it depends what each bi person’s preferences are at the time. From personal experience, it doesn’t feel like the odds are any more in my favour and I guess that’s because I’m not looking at the whole of the population to date! I still think it’s hard to meet people irrespective of orientation.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

mrg

Joined in 2010
May 11, 2011, 18:30

As a straight pastor, I hear a lot that folk probably aren’t game enough to say to your face!!

1. Two guys were holding hands in church and somebody said to me thatthey must be having sex in the car park after the service.

2. All gay people that come to church have an agenda (I replied yes – to worship God!!)

3. Gay people are predators/child molestors/perverts etc etc

4. Lots of the usual ones about choosing the life syle and so on

5. The gay community has a highly organised lobby that systematically targets schools, churches and so on. (No offense, but you guys have to get WAY more organised if you want to do this 🙂 :))

6. There’s no such thing as a happy gay man

7. All gay people work as hair dressers or designers

8. There’s no such thing as an old gay person

9. God doesn’t love gay people.

I could go on. Sometimes I get really mad when people say these things to me. Most of the time I feel sorry for them. Fortunately, most have responded well when I correct some of their misconceptions and are happy to explore further, with genuine questiions born out of a desire to know more. One step at a time though….

Matt

smith

Joined in 2006
May 11, 2011, 19:55

1. There are no gay people in Pentecostal churches – they are all hanging out with the mainstream church crowd ( I really believed this)

2. A heterosexual person cannot be friends with a gay person because the gay person will always want to have a relationship with the straight person

3. Homosexuality is catching – people who have gay friends are mostly likely gay

4. Nobody in your family could possibly be gay

🙂

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 11, 2011, 22:18

omg we have an agenda when we come to church??????? lmao wow, so i guess wanting to spend time in the presence of God and allowing him to to do a work in me is a suss agenda LOL pa-leeeese!!

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
May 11, 2011, 23:13

Not necessarily outrageous but most common I’ve heard are .. .. ..

>> That to be gay means being weak, effeminate. / And that all lesbians are ‘butch’.

>> That all gays are promiscuous.

>> All those (outdated & unproven) “explanations” for us being gay like ‘absent father’, domineering mother’, ‘victim of childhood sexual assault’, etc.

>> That transgender persons are gay.

>> The connection which is often alleged between homosexuality and paedophilia. (I find that the most offensive.)

>> The ‘highly-organized gay conspiracy’ (to change the world, corrupt your kids, etc.)

By the way, mrg – so appreciate your positive efforts to dispel all the misunderstandings. As AVB so often says, the enemy (our enemy) is not the church, not Christians, not the media, not whomever .. .. .. it is ignorance.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 11, 2011, 23:55

here is my contribution from some writing i have done on the myths and stereotypes…..sorry for the repetitions with those above

1. ALL gay people are promiscuous

2. ALL gay relationships don’t last

3. ALL gay people are perverts and debauched

4. Homosexuality is caused by a dysfunctional family upbringing. Healthy homes don’t produce homosexuals.

5. The bible CLEARLY says that homosexuality is a sin

6. Homosexuality is caused when people are molested or raped

7. ALL gay people are sick and need healing

8. You could never have a happy rewarding life as a homosexual

9. You can’t find good friends in the ‘gay scene’. All gay men are bitchy shallow and insincere

10. Homosexuality is a choice

11. There is a ‘gay lifestyle’

12. There is a ‘gay agenda’

13. You can become gay

homosexuals recruit
.that’s why we can’t let them teach in our schools or be near our children in case they get converted.

14. Homosexuals aren’t good parents. Their children miss out if they don’t have a mother and father

15. Children of gay or lesbian parents will turn out gay

16. Homosexuals are a threat to the traditional family

17. You can change your same sex attraction if you are willing and try hard enough. Deep down inside we are really heterosexual

18. “All homosexuals want to have sex with children, therefore we can’t let them near our children.”

19. Homosexuality is abnormal/unnatural

20. ALL gay man have anal sex

21. Gay men what to have sex with anything in trousers

22. All lesbians are man haters

23. All gay men secretly want to be women

24. All lesbians became that way because they were raped or sexually abused

25. Bisexual people are in denial about their homosexuality.

26. In homosexual relationships one takes the role of the male and the other the female.

© 2010 Anthony Venn-Brown.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 12, 2011, 10:02

wow! :~ one day these will be no more 😉

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.062 seconds.