What church were/are you a member of

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
July 22, 2010, 09:21

I started out: catholic 25yrs

spiritualist church enmore

ccc oxford falls 8yrs (visited hillsong and did conferences there, clc’s, anywhere i happened to be lead occassionally for speakers or saturday services)

sunrise beechboro WA (few yrs)

dayspring castle hill (few yrs)

no church where i live now as yet, i live in a predominantly muslim and orthodox area but keeping an ear out. 😉

consider myself pentecostal for 18yrs now 🙂 0:)

RaulG

Joined in 2010
July 22, 2010, 14:38

Dear Magz,

Once again, I feel that I must point out that maybe finding a private congregation or church that accepts you as you are may be a better choice than simply “hiding”.But I’m sure that you’ll be able to find brothers and sisters who embrace you as what you are: one of God’s glorious creations.

Finding the church that is right for you is an intense spiritual journey and requires much commitment.

I, for example, spent many years drifting without a church to call home. Many of the churches in my area were either hyper-conservative (to the point of extreme biblical literalism and some truly horrific cases of faulty exegesis) or hyper-liberal (to the point that they might as well have stopped calling themselves Christian in the way that they hand waved away historical facts, and eschewed deep scriptural study in favor of saying ‘If God loves me he’ll let me do what I want’!).

So keep your chin up!

Yours,

Raul

July 22, 2010, 19:59

@AVB……Yep, LOL….but making progress which is the main thing hehe (them and me)…

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 22, 2010, 23:14

Hi Raul,

My dilemma is more that I live in a small town where there are only a few churches.

RaulG

Joined in 2010
July 22, 2010, 23:57

Dear Magz,

Ah, I see. Trust me it is little better in the urban jungles I have called home. But perhaps making some subtle inquiries might help you to find a functional ‘house church’ (which can be both an enlightening experience and very fun, depending on the group)?

Yours,

Raul

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 23, 2010, 00:23

Hi Raul,

I will keep looking for a group of like-minded people with whom I can connect. As my partner keeps reminding me, that doesn’t necessarily have to be a church. The desire to go to church comes and goes, and at the moment it is in the ‘goes’ phase. 🙂

I did try making contact with a pastor in my area earlier this year. I think the outcome is posted here on the forums somewhere. Suffice to say, it was not an encouraging exchange. 😉

I also need to be careful in such an area where everyone tends to know everyone, that I don’t wind up with too many people who know too much about me, if that makes sense?

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 23, 2010, 00:33

Raul,

I found the thread where I discussed my letter to and reply from a local pastor. It’s here: http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/469

danielgtaylor

Joined in 2008
July 23, 2010, 00:51

Hey all,

I’m proudly at Paradise now.

I seem to be a magnet there for gay men or straight allies and have an ever-increasing network of people who are accepting and supportive of gay Christians.

:bigsmile:

RaulG

Joined in 2010
July 23, 2010, 12:45

Dear Magz,

Oh yes. I hear you on that score.

Also, I took a look at the pastor’s response. Well, not the worst response I’ve ever seen…but it’s still a bit odd.

He accepts you…BUT….he thinks you are trying to push an agenda, so he can’t accept you?

An Agenda?

Oh dear, here we go again! Another politi-church! Another church where the politics of the secular world invade the house of God and where those who speak the Word of Christ, use it to command the flock to kneel before the twin bronze idols of social jockeying and political platforms.

I can see why you are so frustrated.

But take heart. I am sure the Lord will put something (or someone) in your path. He always does…when we least expect it.

Yours,

Raul

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 23, 2010, 22:27

When I was actively involved with a church and living the straight lie, I used to have a favorite saying: “If God brings me to it, he’ll bring me through it.”

I guess I still do believe that, but it is hard to keep that in sight when it feels like everywhere I turn I meet another roadblock. It is frustrating and disheartening, but I am trying to trust…

Who knows what lies ahead. I don’t. But I will keep on trusting.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.085 seconds.