Forums

What did Jesus say?

Page: 1

nelstone

Joined in 2014
November 1, 2015, 10:54

We are often taught that Jesus had nothing to say about homosexuality. But if we consider the word 'eunuch', it often meant an effeminant quality within men. The Jews had no word for homosexual, nor did the Greek or Romans at the time of Christ. But most certainly, the people of that time period knew what an effeminant man was and he was often called a eunuch.

Let us now consider these words of our Lord Jesus in Matt 19. He is asked to clarify the matter of divorce. Upon clarifying this matter, He proceeds to discuss very directly a matter that many cannot comprehend nor desire to accept that there are other individuals out there who do not wish to be with someone of the opposite sex! Jesus states:

"But he said unto them, Not all men can receive this saying, but they to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs, that were so born from their mother's womb:and there are eunuchs, that were made eunuchs by men:and there are eunuchs, that made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."

No, not everyone was 'made' to marry someone of the opposite sex as was the tradition of the time, for some were not of that inclination. Christ is telling us that there are others out there who are not oriented to the desire to be with someone of the opposite sex! This is, as Jesus told us, something that not all men can receive and we see their inability to comprehend and accept Christs saying through homophobic doctrine! Instead they twist this beautiful enlightening verse and ignore the fact that the word 'eunuch' is used here and not as meaning someone who wishes not to marry. For eunuch does not mean, "someone who wishes not to marry". It means a man who is effeminant or may not desire to be with a woman. Christ gives us three reasons why a man may not wish to be with a woman. Firstly, he is BORN THAT WAY; secondly he is made that way by men (but we know that if a man has been castrated and is heterosexual, he may still desire to be with a woman!). There must be another meaning here, which could be that life circumstances has affected the individuals life to the point that they find it all too difficult to be with someone of the opposite sex. Finally, Christ tells us that some choose to not marry because they feel their life is meant to be one of complete service to God and have no desire for marriage.

These are only the beginning of some humble thoughts as I search the scriptures for God's will for my life! If you feel they are helpful to you, please let me know…and pass them on to others. It is time to dig deeper into His Word!

jamesn

Joined in 2009
November 7, 2015, 22:00

Jesus also told the disciples to go int the marketplace in Jerusalem and "look for the man carrying the jar of water on his head." Oops, only women were to carry water – it was not something too demeaning for a man to do at the time, especially in the market in front of everyone! Jesus was affirming the breaking down of gender roles and stereotypes. Funny, I have never a mainstream church give a message on this, i.e.: Jesus told the disciples to learn from and follow a man who was acting as a woman! This is radical, even for today!

nelstone

Joined in 2014
November 9, 2015, 10:25

Thank you for sharing this scripture, Luke 22:10 telling the story of the man carrying the pitcher of water. It is interesting that in my NIV study Bible it actually states in the footnotes, "It was extraordinary to see a man carrying a jar of water, since this was normally women's work". How many times over the years have I read through the New Testament and never noticed this verse. We have been so well conditioned to see only what has been 'traditionally' taught to us! And what is even more interesting is that Jesus told the disciples to follow THIS man to the house he enters, "…and say to the owner of the house, 'the Teacher asks: where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' …make preparations there." Jesus ate His last meal in this home that allowed men to carry the water vessels! His last meal and where He broke bread with His disciples. Where Christ spoke of how great His Grace was and how we were to remember ALL that He has done for us through His death and resurrection! Yes!!! He was breaking ALL bearers that 'men' had created through their misconceptions of God's will and greatness! This message is so very lost today! May God show me how I might encourage others regarding the depth of His Love and Mercy!

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
January 11, 2016, 14:24

🙂

jamesn

Joined in 2009
January 14, 2016, 03:34

Eunuchs also had a female equivalent in Hebrew, hence the word meant much more than just an effeminate man. Isaiah said that eunuchs who follow the law will receive a name greater than the sons and daughters of Israel (reference again to both female and male)!

nelstone

Joined in 2014
January 18, 2016, 10:50

Yes, that is a powerful chapter in Isaiah, Jamesn! (Isaiah 56) Thanks for the bit on the female equivalent to eunuch in Hebrew. Would you please post the word for those who wish to look it up and do a bit more research on it? Thanks!

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.057 seconds.