Forums

What do you think? Should this street preacher be charged?

Page:   1 2 3 4

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 5, 2010, 10:20

May 4, 2010 4:34PM

Street Preacher Charged for Saying Homosexuality a Sin

Al Webb, Religion News Service

A Christian street preacher in Britain will stand trial for telling a passerby — in earshot of a policewoman — that God views homosexuality as a sin.

Police arrested Dale McAlpine, a 42-year-old Baptist, under Britain’s Public Order Act 1986, which forbids “using threatening, abusive or insulting words … tending to and causing harassment, alarm or distress.”

McAlpine told The Daily Telegraph newspaper that he was arrested after a part-time police officer said she heard him reciting a list of “sins” against God, including blasphemy, drunkenness and same-sex relationships.

The preacher denied mentioning homosexuality, but he did concede he had told a passing shopper that it was a sin in the eyes of God.

At a magistrates court hearing in Workington, England, on Friday, McAlpine pleaded not guilty to the public order offense charge but was arraigned for trial at an unspecified date.

“My freedom was taken away on the hearsay evidence of someone who disliked what I said, and I was charged under a law that doesn’t apply,” he said.

The newspaper report said McAlpine was fingerprinted, given a DNA swab and retina scan, and was locked in a police cell for seven hours on April 20.

“I am not homophobic,” he insisted, “but sometimes I do say that the Bible says homosexuality is a crime against the Creator.”

McAlpine’s arrest comes days after a top British judge was criticized for ruling that Christian beliefs are not entitled to special protection under the laws of the nation.

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/archives/2010/05/street_preacher.html

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 5, 2010, 14:46

Opens a can of worms doesn’t it. I’d like to know what orfeo thinks of this. He’s always great with legal stuff.

If this guy is charged then every conservative church person who says the same thing in Britain should be charged too. And he no doubt doesn’t have malicious intent, believing he’s doing the right thing according to his interpretation of the bible.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 5, 2010, 15:14

I thought it was an interesting question Ann Maree…..hehe.

Would be nice to have a space where people dont call us sinners automatically because of our orientation……but at what price.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 5, 2010, 18:59

Yes it is a pickle of a question. (to sound like Ned Flanders 🙂 )

I agree – it would be nice to move about freely in life without others assuming we’re sinners, purely on the grounds of sexual orientation. The judge has perhaps reacted extremely in an attempt to counteract the homophobic society we live in. But that can be just as damaging as homophobia. As is common with major societal shifts, this example probably illustrates how the pendulum swings from one side to the other before settling in middle ground. And that can take some time to achieve.

N149

Joined in 2010
May 5, 2010, 20:34

I read this a few hours ago…

It is quite the pickle…

I keep arguing with myself about it….

Obviously on one hand free speech… On the other hand it is discriminatory… Hmmm…

poidah

Joined in 2010
May 5, 2010, 22:26

I fall on the camp of needing to rein in free speech. Free speech against organisations and government to critique and bring consciousness is fine.

Speaking without consciousness and putting down groups of people adversely impact people and needs to be reined in. Obviously there is a spectrum from subtle disregard to overt insult and verbal abuse, however, most people are not aware of the impact of their words. No one would argue about the danger of a person wantonly waving a gun aimlessly. However, insulting people or groups aimlessly, that also has as negative an impact I say.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 5, 2010, 22:27

I wouldn’t want anyone passing judgement on me purely based on whether I was a homosexual or not.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 6, 2010, 00:16

here is a thought……..what the preacher is saying is actually true and false

Homosexuals are sinners……but so are heterosexuals.

and as our gentleman in Adelaide has mentioned……what about the damage that a message of error causes. On whose hands is the blood of those who have taken their lives.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 6, 2010, 00:19

Basically saying that homosexuality is a sin is a false statement…….its a orientation and as such is amoral……just as heterosexuality is.

May 6, 2010, 13:47

But avb, the preacher said “homosexuality is a sin”…the truth is homosexuals, heterosexuals, bi-sexuals, asexuals…whatever-sexuals are sinners, we all are….but homosexuality as an orientation isn’t a sin. The law clearly says he hasn’t the right to say that, and because the law also says other things too, impinging on our freedom of speech,, perhaps the law needs to change hehe.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.066 seconds.