Forums

What do you think? Should this street preacher be charged?

Page:   1 2 3 4

May 6, 2010, 13:48

Sorry avb, only just read your last statement…you are right 🙂

May 6, 2010, 13:51

Tricky, do we decide to let these types of comments slide at the risk of losing our freedom of speech to have a say on other topics??

May 6, 2010, 13:52

Lol…me again…I think we have to pick our battles with wisdom 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 6, 2010, 14:40

And as far as I know there’s still the religious objection/exemption (outside the law) that allows people to make these kinds of comments based on their faith or interpretation thereof. I think that’s what the judge was trying to change; that people wouldn’t get away with expressing predjudice under the religious banner.

Any lawyers or those more familiar with the law, please feel free to correct me or add to this discussion. 🙂

May 6, 2010, 14:51

Okay.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 10, 2010, 21:31

This is all the more interesting in light of the recent incident in Australia where a polie officer was called a “prick” and the person saying it was arrested. The case was later thrown out of court as completly ridiclous. Obviously there are some differences but the basic premise is the same. Can you say hateful things about people in public and get away with it? Apparently so. My gut tells me it would be nice to see this ‘preacher’ held accountable for his ‘beliefs’ and the public reciognition that it is discriminatory. But where do you draw the line. If that precedent was set pretty soon all kinds of evangalistic methods would be crimes because Christians claim that Jesus is the only way and that ultimatley everyone else are sinners without redemption who will die and go to hell. Ain’t a real pretty picture and I could see it coming under the label of “abusive” and “causing distress” objectivly and from a secular standpoint, there is no difference between that statement and the one about homosexuality. It wouldn’t be the first time that a bunch of Christians were locked up but do we really need to go there?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 11, 2010, 01:05

I agree Sandy……its a can of worms isn’t it.

I think it is good to make people aware of the tragic circumstances there negative and ignorant statements can create…..but gaol?

JKH

Joined in 2009
May 11, 2010, 13:53

Freedom of speech is a right, but the preacher is abusing the right to promote hatred, the preacher may not be aware he is promoting hatred.

Legally, as I said, the preacher is entitled to freedom of speech, but in this case, he can be charged for abusing the right of freedom of speech by slandering, and promoting hatred. I am not sure if Britain have any law that is specifically targeting homophobic actions or comments, but certainly, he can be charged for slandering and promoting hatred targeting a minority group. And also, he did mention that he was telling ONE passing shopper about the sin of homosexuality, clearly, his action is targeting an individual, that may or may not get him a charge of verbal assault to an individual.

In general, He should be charged, but I guess the best way to let people know about homosexuality and faith is through knowledge and education.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 11, 2010, 14:15

Yeah good point ,JKH, and well said. Thank you.

Interesting when you think that this case represents many, many others. So where would it stop if this person was charged? There are a multitude that could also be charged, especially in churches. Managing those numbers would be too onerous a task I would think.. so as you say, education is a good way to deal with this issue at the moment.

May 12, 2010, 20:28

Very good points JKH and AnnMaree….’tis a tough one eh?

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.089 seconds.