Forums

What would you say about or to Aaron?????

Page:   1 2

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 14, 2011, 01:47

Wow…so many things going on here.

I really feel for Aaron. I was in the same place that he was and had that hope that everything was going to be better from then on. I was even asked by my church at that time to do a testimony video (similar to Aaron’s).

What was making him unhappy and keeping him from loving God and living to his full potential was not the homosexual ‘lifestyle’…it was his internalised homophobia and self hatred.

Sadly Aaron has been abused by the church into beleiving that he is not good enough as a gay man and that he would not be welcome in the church. This is so wrong.

I would tell Aaron to take 6 months off, to do some research and to get to know real gay Christians and see the power of God in their lives. Sadly this battle inside him between faith and sexual orientation will keep raging on until he manages to reconcile both parts of his life.

I really feel for him and think he’s probably a lovely guy deep down…sadly he still doesn’t see Jesus for who He is. Aaron feel’s like he had to change…so sad.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
June 14, 2011, 22:17

One thing that really stood out for me as well was his eyes, HIS EYES the words didn’t match up with the eyes!!!

I’ve heard it said that the eyes are the window to our soul … it also looked like there was an underlying sense of loss …

IanJ

Joined in 2009
June 18, 2011, 21:20

I think Ben has it= Aaron needs to meet the Jesus who loves him, just as he is. And gay Christians who can testify to the love and acceptance of God. Then his chains really will have fallen off.

I was struck bu the Pastor’s comment about the number of hours that it took to shoot that video. Perhaps others can tell me, but how many takes are required when you are happy, free and passionate about what you are saying?? I felt that there was a lot of churchianity speaking there. Who would ever say that they “struggled with same sex attraction” when they were eight years old?

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
June 18, 2011, 22:32

I felt like he was being used by his church. Paraded like some sort of trophy.

I also noticed that he never says that he has had any success with his conversion attempts so far. Only that he is becoming more “masculine” (whatever that means), and that he feels closer to God.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 19, 2011, 13:15

I wonder how many of us have been where Aaron is currently at…..and would have used similar language to describe our experience at that time.

(my hand is raised)

BTW…..it is not unusual to spend hours filming just to get ten minutes of quality dialogue……this is definitely no amateur job.

Boi70

Joined in 2007
June 19, 2011, 21:06

What kept running around in my mind as I watched this video was that statement that Anthony uses,

“My morality and faith are choices – my sexual orientation however isn’t”.

I couldn’t help wondering whether Aaron needed to explore the compatibility issues between his college lifestyle and his morality, and not focus on his sexual orientation at all. :~

On the other hand, I can accept that Aaron quite honestly believes in the statements & declarations that he is making, and I know that once upon a time I believed in many of those statements too.

Suzee

Joined in 2011
July 14, 2011, 20:51

I would say to Aaron

“Sweetie, your conversion was real and genuine. When you surrendered to Jesus He was accepting you just as you were. You had possibly been living a promiscuous life, and He wanted you for His own. The sin He took wasn’t your sexual orientation, but it was your actions.”

I wonder about now. He mentioned developing relationships with the men in his church; the people in his church. He never mentioned girls or women. He didn’t talk about romance or a committed relationship.

What will happen in a few years down the track when he’s not being celebrated as a special case anymore?

Will he rely on accountability? Will it always be a struggle?

This leaves us with questions, and some concerns.

Princess _Fiona

Joined in 2011
December 4, 2011, 12:01

Hi

Here's my comments and observations

When watching I tired to keep an opened mind, as I have happily been out for over 7 years, but am working through my spiritual journey once again. With that in mind this is the first thing that came to mind.

His eyes seem void of passion as he spoke, a real sadness seem to resinate in him.

Interesting was his point that during a church series, he experience conviction and spoke of physically how he felt.

His passion to serve God, returned only after his repentance, but he also spent alot of time talking on this, what he is now doing etc

He did mention that he has made friends with other men in church

But didnt speak at all of if he still had any same sex attraction feelings

All of this has left me wondering a few things; some may have been commented on before and some I have asked myself and God before.

If God truely thinks that same sex attraction is a sin, then why doesn't He deliver all His people who cry out to him. (Isnt that His promise)

You would think with new found freedom and deliverance, your eyes would shine Christ and this guys eyes seemed dull and almost lifeless as he spoke in that video. Was nice to see him smile at one point during the video, but kind of seemed a little fake.

From reading stories from this site, I can see others who are passionate for God and serving Him, who happen to be same sex attracted. They have experienced peace from God with who they are and who they are attracted to. Where as this guy had no peace so he says in who he was. Was that old conditioning? He spoke of his family on there knees I think praying for Him, was it due to a homophobic up bringing and condemnation from family and there beliefs.

At the same time I'm thinking who am I to argue with his experience of conviction and repentance. He truely believes God convicted him.

Hmmmm, well food for thought, still on a journey to seek God's truth and God's peace. Only been 1 week, so will surely come across alot of testimonies and experiences from different perspectives.

Thanks Anthony for sharing your video also, almost made me cry 🙁 to hear of your journey, thankfully that was long ago for you.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.069 seconds.