Forums

What would your church be like?

Page:   1 2 3 4

Sandy

Joined in 2007
October 21, 2008, 10:13

Ok, no worries. Good luck with all that.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 21, 2008, 16:50

one of the few regrets I have Tez is that I actually don’t have the tape of the very last sermon I preached. I actually knew that I would be disappearing during the week and would never be allowed behind a pulpit again.

Imagine that…..knowing you get one last chance to say what you really really believe.

I preached from this passage.

Matthew 25

31″When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34″Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37″Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40″The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

41″Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44″They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45″He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46″Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
October 21, 2008, 17:41

Its funny how you dont hear much of these scriptures preached or taught, rather it seems to be about what we can get, how much more joy is there than to see the face of someone receiving something. Also soem almost makeit impossible to inherit eternal life yet its not hard at all, not really and its for “everyone”

frogger

Joined in 2005
November 13, 2008, 12:42

i think that i picture my church just as it is right now. God is the focus. Community is our goal and growing is a bi-product…

i love it

I feel safe

It feels like home

I am content and yet challenged

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
November 13, 2008, 13:14

Sounds great J….MCC is very good and great people 😀

frogger

Joined in 2005
November 13, 2008, 14:57

Its weird i feel more free in church, and able to be me, since coming out than i ever did when i was in the “closet”. I had to walk away from God, come back to God and then some great changes in church…

… and now I just love it! It is a place where i feel like all can just be.. ya know??!!

rb4jc

Joined in 2008
November 14, 2008, 14:19

A place of acceptance and love. We (whosoever) are the church. All were invited to the table, all have a place set for them. Come and see that you are loved and have been loved since before you were woven together in the womb. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Come, the table is set for you….. All are welcome!

Figment

Joined in 2008
January 17, 2009, 01:52

Many churches/pastors/leaders care only about how much is in the offering, how many bums were on seats that sunday and how many ‘dedicated their hearts to God’ or ‘rededicated their hearts to God’. They do not look into people’s lives. They want microwave christians. They do not have the patience, the know how, or the care factor to go on a long journey with people in their congregation. They want instant results/instant changes in people’s lives.

My observations as a former “bum on the seat”:

This is too often proven true, and appears to be the direct downside of large congregations. When a congregation gets too large, it has to either: 1- break down into smaller but linked groups, or 2- become an institution first and a community second (or unfortunately last 🙁 ). Option 1 only seems to happen after option 2: Denominations form, consisting of many churches. One christian belief I have retained is that God wants us to be a community, not an institution.

Apparently the early christians simply had small gatherings in homes. I believe this method allows for much more community – everyone would know everyone, and leaders could be pastors rather than businessmen.

40″The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

could this verse be easier to remember and act on in a smaller group?

The most memorably enriching church experience I’ve had was actually a small group meeting, not the sunday service. It was the only memory I can now look back on and think “this is how i think church should be”: 😀 One body, many parts 😀

QueenEsther

Joined in 2009
January 17, 2009, 02:10

A place where I can just be free to be me. To not worry weather I fit the status quo or the image in their eyes of what it is to be a Christian. God loves me, God accepts me and I like who I am and I’m sick of churches that think the way I was created is somehow harmful to other new Christians and that I should be ashamed of my testimony, some churches can be really hurtful.

I’d like to see a church that welcomed people from all backgrounds. A place where one could go and know that above all else, you are welcomed. To be able to be honest and not feel like you have to be two faced. Unfortunately there isn’t many places around like this and when you think you find one, often the true colors eventually show and I think it’s sad because God accepts us so why shouldn’t they.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
January 17, 2009, 07:26

Welcome QueenEsther to F2B 😀

A welcoming church as you are, would be so good and is so needed, I dont recall when Jesus ever said that only a certain criteria is allowed to hang out with Him and other Christians 😯

figment wrote

Apparently the early christians simply had small gatherings in homes. I believe this method allows for much more community – everyone would know everyone, and leaders could be pastors rather than businessmen.

There is something in that I believe, Im not against mega churches but small groups/small numbered church and a sense of an “accepting” community certainly appeals the most.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.