Forums

What's the most inclusive way of referring to our community - LGBT or LGBTIQ or something else altogether?

Page:   1 2

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 26, 2010, 22:21

No I did not know about Northstar. You are full of interesting info, aren’t you? 🙂

I try to be useful :bigsmile:

The thing that I noted in the Wikipedia article was the fact that the respected journal Scientific American had published a piece in the early 80s about what processes caused a person to be homosexual, and the evidence was pointing increasingly to it being genetic. The other point that I noted was Northstar’s sexual orientation wasn’t made explicit to begin with, mainly due to Marvel’s policy and the Comics Code Authority rules. This has obvious parallels for many of us who were in the closet and in a church but for various reasons couldn’t come out. How liberating it must have been when Northstar’s creators allowed him to utter those three magic words “I am gay” …

On a personal note, I think we can all be “superheros” if we believe that the extraordinary, whatever that might mean to us individually, is always possible …

Lady Jane

Joined in 2009
January 26, 2010, 22:57

I actually like Rainbow People. It’s very inclusive, catches everybody, the whole spectrum,( even straight people!)

Jokes apart, LGBT is good too, although I cannot help chuckling about the infiltratration of political correctness/affirmative action here too (L before G) !

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 27, 2010, 00:17

Hi mobileguy,

mobileguy wrote:

“On a personal note, I think we can all be “superheros” if we believe that the extraordinary, whatever that might mean to us individually, is always possible ..”.

Yes, as Jean Houston says: “We all have the extraordinary coded within us, waiting to be released.”

And I also like Victor Frankl’s take on it which I believe was something along the lines of: “Extraordinary circumstances cause us to dig deep and find what we need within to be extraordinary.” (paraphrased) And when you think about it, so many of us on this site and beyond in our wider community have been through events that could only be described in that way. Yet, despite pain and rejection, our stories are filled with such courage. It’s really inspiring.

Lady Jane, yes I really like Rainbow people although it sort of sounds like a crazy church! hehe

Anyway, blessings to you both and to everyone,

Ann Maree

pingtimeout

Joined in 2009
January 27, 2010, 01:09

I remember hearing on an American sitcom (sadly don’t know which one as I *overheard* it at college while working) them making a joke about somebody attending the local (insert about 24 letter acronym) awareness night. Was quite funny 🙂

On a more serious note – I personally don’t have any real problem with “gay” or “LGBT” – I don’t see that it’s meant to include or exclude anyone. I remember a few years ago someone was trying to popularise “NQS” (Not Quite Straight) as a term for the gay community but they didn’t get too far with it.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 28, 2010, 06:47

I don’t mind using LGBT as long as those people in our community who are not explicitly spelled out in the acronym know that they’re definitely included and regarded.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.042 seconds.