Forums

When is it appropriate to keep conversations on the forum and when to take them off line.....suggestions???

Page:   1 2 3

Sandy

Joined in 2007
April 5, 2010, 22:49

Well I don’t really have a suggestion…but I do have a question. (Surprise, surprise).

Why are people having personal conversations in PM’s about stuff that could potentially be posted on the forum? I mean if we ask the people doing this, what it is about the forum atmosphere that makes them choose PM’s instead we just might find our solution and make the forum a safer and more engaging place to boot.

Just a thought.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 5, 2010, 23:25

Hi Sandy

Always good to hear from you! 🙂 You do have a direct way of expressing yourself, don’t you? 😉 I agree that this is a good idea. And like I said earlier, there are bound to be times when it feels safer on a one-to-one basis, sometimes because the material discussed is too personal. And on occasions, I’ve withheld because I know my views are probably too ‘out there’. I wonder what others’ reaons are…

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 5, 2010, 23:54

Well I don’t really have a suggestion…but I do have a question. (Surprise, surprise).

Why are people having personal conversations in PM’s about stuff that could potentially be posted on the forum? I mean if we ask the people doing this, what it is about the forum atmosphere that makes them choose PM’s instead we just might find our solution and make the forum a safer and more engaging place to boot.

Just a thought.

Good point Sandy…..my perception is that it all well intentioned. things like

1. wanting to make the person feel more supported

2. wanting to build a stronger friendship

3. wanting to discuss personal things

4. wanting to make contact through some chat system

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 6, 2010, 00:01

I just thought of something that we do need to consider if people are PMíng a lot. that is…..they might be offering advice to someone that might not be helpful…..even damaging. the person recieving that might feel that the person is doing that with some level of experience or authority because they are active on the forum.

The beauty I guess of leaving things on the forum instead of PMíng is that you can get a variety of perspectives and experiences.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 6, 2010, 00:08

Is that happening a lot though, avb? Has anyone reported this?

Sandy

Joined in 2007
April 6, 2010, 00:12

Well I’m not for or against this because it’s never really been an issue for me but you could always look at it this way:

1. If you post you are opening up the potential for support from more than just one person

2. If you want to build a friendship with a particular person why not cross-post in both the forum and PM. That way you get the personal responce from your friend via PM that’s for your eyes only and the added benifit of the opinions of others plus knowing that your post might be interesting or helpful for others.

3. Agreed, some personal things really shouldn’t be posted on the forum but sometimes the definition of personal can be too broad. You do have a username to hide behind 🙂

4. Erm…isn’t THIS a chat system of sorts? I get that people may want to talk about stuff that isn’t Christian or GLBT related so a chat system is best for that but for stuff that is relevant why not just chat here? It’s as good a place as any. Or, again, cross post the stuff that is relevant if you’d rather talk in real-time.

Really I think it’s just a matter of considering your options and making an informed decision now you know its an issue. There will be some times when PM is best for everyone involved, even the lurkers! But having said that we are supposed to be a ‘community’ not a bunch of individuals pairing off into cliques like its highschool.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 6, 2010, 00:20

Yes well said, Sandy. It’s perhaps a matter of being aware of what’s happening as avb has said earlier, and sensitive to the community’s needs. This includes thinking about posting in the place that will be of most benefit. And like I’ve said previously, (and I don’t think anyone will disagree), it should be about inclusiveness.

axiom

Joined in 2009
April 6, 2010, 10:37

I see the merit in all of the above- just a caution. A username does not necessarily guarantee anonymity. If someone knows you well they can work out who you are without the benefit of a name- it has happened to me, which is why I am careful what I post. Sometimes people connect offline if the information shared will identify them in a public forum.

GoldenLab1963

Joined in 2010
April 6, 2010, 12:09

In the past I have owned some sites that had forums & I have been admin on quite a few as well. Now I know that they were not the same as this one as they were Gaming Sites & Forums, but the principle is the same.

What I have done in the past is enable Private Messages. Everyone still needs to be able to PM others at one stage or another. It is up to the individual to report if the message they receive is offending to an Admin or Moderator. I’m not sure how this site is made up, but there is an option on most sites to restrict certain people from sending PM’s if they are being rude, crude or offensive. It is then up to the Admin or Moderators or both to decide as to what action needs to taken.

On this site I feel that PM’s are essential especially if someone is cruising the site & is thinking of coming out. They may feel that they need to contact someone privately about their ” Issues ” before telling everyone on the forums.

This is my views on the subject,

Cheers,

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
April 6, 2010, 14:14

In terms of approaching other members on the forum for advice about specific issues in their life, I would refer them directly to a qualified counsellor and in no way attempt to address any underlying problems that may be evident. Our forum provides a range of counselling resources but it is not in f2b’s charter to offer these services. As Anthony has mentioned, doing so may in fact be detrimental to the persons involved.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.055 seconds.